REED at WR

LoganF89

21 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

If the Skins can somehow get their hands on Hockenson, then you have Reed strictly line up in the slot. It’s what he does in the red zone, where he has been super effective when healthy. 

Yeah, if that happens and we do get Hockenson then I think you make Reed the starting slot WR. If Reed is your starting slot WR then he doesn't have to block DEs/OLBs and it makes the offense better as a whole.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:31 PM, Woz said:

I have to think that's partially due to what he shows in practice ... which leads me to my place of "he's not doing anything to wow them, so move on."

Maybe he just needs a chance to shine. Maybe I'm completely wrong. That all said, the window is closing fast.

I don't think so. Sprinkle has shown an ability to catch when he gets to play. He was a pretty good receiver as a TE at Arkansas. The issue he has is that he's stuck behind Reed and Davis. If you're a young TE stuck behind those two good to great receiving TEs, you're not going to get many opportunities to make plays in the passing game.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, Woz said:

Given that they were very tentative (beyond Landon Collins) in who they did sign, I'm not sure this is correct.

Since Davis is in the last year of his contract, cutting him on March 14 gets them the same cap savings that cutting him on August 30th would (about $5M in cap space).

I realize that cutting him now or in two weeks would be the same in cap space savings My point is the same as yours, for 9 of the last 10 years they haven't shown that they're going to be big spenders in free agency so I don't see them cutting Davis bc they would only be doing so to create cap space to sign someone else, which they haven't shown they want to do very often this decade.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, Woz said:

Three of them (Flanagan, Garner, and Holtz) are practice squad guys who got bumped up to a futures contract this offseason. So, that's a bit misleading.

Sprinkle is the one to look at.
*looks at Sprinkle's 7 catches for 54 yards (2 TDs) in 27 games*

Yeah ...

27 is very deciving. 27 games means nothing when you look at his snaps and his targets. In most of those 27 games he was the #3 TE and just a special teams player.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:19 AM, turtle28 said:

27 is very deciving. 27 games means nothing when you look at his snaps and his targets. In most of those 27 games he was the #3 TE and just a special teams player.

Sprinkle started nine game last season, including the last four games (when Reed was out). Six of those nine games (including two of the last four), he had zero targets. All of his catches came in two games (granted, when Reed was out).

He hasn't done anything to make me think he's anything more than Logan Paulsen (read: a JAG TE).

11 hours ago, Woz said:

Sprinkle started nine game last season, including the last four games (when Reed was out). Six of those nine games (including two of the last four), he had zero targets. All of his catches came in two games (granted, when Reed was out).

He hasn't done anything to make me think he's anything more than Logan Paulsen (read: a JAG TE).

Again, had to pay attention to the games. When Reed was out Davis became the #1 TE target in the offense, Sprinkle was mostly just in the game to block on first downs and short yardage. You’re a smart guy, you know this, I don’t know why this is even a discussion.

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Again, had to pay attention to the games. When Reed was out Davis became the #1 TE target in the offense, Sprinkle was mostly just in the game to block on first downs and short yardage. You’re a smart guy, you know this, I don’t know why this is even a discussion.

Okay ... so if the coaching staff felt more comfortable making a 34 year old as their primary TE target, and Sprinkle was mostly just in the game to block, doesn't that kind of tell you how the coaching staff views Sprinkle's receiving abilities?