Calvin Johnson is a first ballot hofer; change my mind

Kiwibrown

58 minutes ago, N4L said:

.... because he was such an unstoppable weapon 

You're point is well made, but that says more about Stat Padford than it does about CJ. The guy made plays consistently, hard to use that as a negative

Fair enough.  Can’t forget that it came against some of the most ridiculous coverages and attention that he faced from opposing defenses as well

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

I think people will look back and remember the time dez Bryant tried to call him out and he put up a 300 burger on the cowboys. 

Megatron-Cowboys.jpg

Or the time he caught a game winner against Chicago yet the dumbest rule for a catch was created off that play and they said no TD. 

636571843688171710-AP-LIONS-BEARS-FOOTBA

Theyll remember his first playoff game going against the Saints. The saints threw the kitchen sink at him and he went 200+ and 2 TDs.

2012-0107-Calvin-Johnson-op2q-47484.jpg

the play against Cincinnati that Stafford threw up a prayer to Megatron. 

82432675c1496fa389c74d2867109909.jpg

And the cowboys.

CalvinJohnson2.jpg

Theyll remember Megatron for the numerous circus catches he had and the catching radius of a garage. 

2en0.gif

I'm not going to remember any of those things.  The first thing I think about when I hear Calvin Johnson is how he walked away from the game while he was still considered an great player.

37 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm not going to remember any of those things.  The first thing I think about when I hear Calvin Johnson is how he walked away from the game while he was still considered an great player.

Well, you don’t vote for the HOF. I imagine the people that would be would spend more time on their consideration.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Okay great. Other players were consistently productive for a longer period of time, making them more valuable as a player overall in their career. Again, 44nd, 30th and 22nd in rec, yards, and touchdowns respectively is not 1st ballot HoF worthy when there's many other players who have been waiting. 

What a silly idea to rate Calvin Johnson by his volume stats. None of those players you mention were as good as Calvin at his peak. He might be the most effective WR to ever step on a football field. Sure, lets leave him out of our Hall of Fame though, makes sense...

48 minutes ago, showtime said:

THat's pretty sad and pathetic I gotta say. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

No, I’m docking him for having a quarterback that was dependent on forcing the ball to him repeatedly.  He obviously deserves credit for earning those targets and making good on a nice percentage of them, but early in his career, Stafford looked for him at an unhealthy rate

Then why has every Stafford number improved? Man people have the worst narratives. Stafford threw to Calvin the correct amount of times 

9 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

What a silly idea to rate Calvin Johnson by his volume stats. None of those players you mention were as good as Calvin at his peak. He might be the most effective WR to ever step on a football field. Sure, lets leave him out of our Hall of Fame though, makes sense...

Nobody said he’s not a Hall of Famer.  We’re saying he doesn’t deserve to go in on the 1st Ballot because not only does he not have the same longevity that other first Ballot HOFers had, he doesn’t even have a single postseason win (which I’m aware isn’t really his fault, but doesn’t change anything for me in terms of him not being a 1st ballot HOFer)

7 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Then why has every Stafford number improved? Man people have the worst narratives. Stafford threw to Calvin the correct amount of times 

Give evidence to support this claim.  Staffords numbers improved because he learned to stop focusing on him so much and start spreading the ball around....

1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

So did all the other things on the list. You chose to focus on one thing, that isn't a particular highlight, and make it into a negative thing to winge about

The thing about Calvin Johnson is that he unfortunately didn't have much time in the postseason.  That's where a lot of memorable things happen for a lot of players.

I'll give you an example.  Unlike Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald is actually a hands down first ballot hall-of-famer.  Fitzgerald has had an AMAZING career with countless highlights.  You know which one I think about the most?  The play in the Superbowl where he catches the football and runs like 60+ yards for the go ahead score with about two minutes left.  I remember Troy Polamalu was one of the guys chasing Fitzgerald.

I'm not choosing to focus on anything.  I'm just saying it's the first thing that comes to my mind. 

It's similar to Barry Sanders, except Calvin Johnson has nowhere near the all-time numbers Sanders had when he walked away from the game.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

The thing about Calvin Johnson is that he unfortunately didn't have much time in the postseason.  That's where a lot of memorable things happen for a lot of players.

I'll give you an example.  Unlike Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald is actually a hands down first ballot hall-of-famer.  Fitzgerald has had an AMAZING career with countless highlights.  You know which one I think about the most?  The play in the Superbowl where he catches the football and runs like 60+ yards for the go ahead score with about two minutes left.  I remember Troy Polamalu was one of the guys chasing Fitzgerald.

I'm not choosing to focus on anything.  I'm just saying it's the first thing that comes to my mind. 

It's similar to Barry Sanders, except Calvin Johnson has nowhere near the all-time numbers Sanders had when he walked away from the game.

Yes, and to me that being the first thing in your mind was addressed with my first response. Calvin dropped 200 when he did make the playoffs though. 

Also first ballot is the most retarded concept in sports. 

3 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Nobody said he’s not a Hall of Famer.  We’re saying he doesn’t deserve to go in on the 1st Ballot because not only does he not have the same longevity that other first Ballot HOFers had, he doesn’t even have a single postseason win (which I’m aware isn’t really his fault, but doesn’t change anything for me in terms of him not being a 1st ballot HOFer)

Give evidence to support this claim.  Staffords numbers improved because he learned to stop focusing on him so much and start spreading the ball around....

lol ok buddy

1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

Yes, and to me that being the first thing in your mind was addressed with my first response. Calvin dropped 200 when he did make the playoffs though. 

Also first ballot is the most retarded concept in sports. 

The entire thread was created based on the fact that the OP said Calvin Johnson is a first ballot HoFer.  I didn't create that criteria.  I'm only focusing on that because the man who created this thread focused on it.  Regardless, i think Johnson will be a hall-of-famer one day.

• Like 2