I'm trying to understand why we are still mocking edge rushers.

AcGbPacker

On 4/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, firstplace said:

I have not been following this thread but it is my understanding that 11 people play on the defensive side. At this point with what we have as edge rushers I would like to get another safety, corner or fast middle backer before an edge rusher. I see some guys drafting 3 edge rushers in their mocks. Having a really good back field also helps the pass rush. And the Packers back field has sucked for a while now. It seems the whole thing went to hell after Nick Collins got hurt. I would like to see them get another safety, corner, before an edge rusher. I would trade down from 12 if possible for another rd2 or rd3. Remember Justin Harrell, Jamal Reynolds, Alphonso Carricker! And a pass rush can come from more than just the edge.

7 hours ago, firstplace said:

I have not been following this thread but it is my understanding that 11 people play on the defensive side. At this point with what we have as edge rushers I would like to get another safety, corner or fast middle backer before an edge rusher. I see some guys drafting 3 edge rushers in their mocks. Having a really good back field also helps the pass rush. And the Packers back field has sucked for a while now. It seems the whole thing went to hell after Nick Collins got hurt. I would like to see them get another safety, corner, before an edge rusher. I would trade down from 12 if possible for another rd2 or rd3. Remember Justin Harrell, Jamal Reynolds, Alphonso Carricker! And a pass rush can come from more than just the edge.

You can never have enough quality at any position! I am not saying don't invest in another edge. I think after signing 2 in free agency it is not the priority. The Packers have needs at OL, Corner, Safety, DL, LB, TE . We have an aging QB and he needs to be protected. Our backup OL sucks. We can't depend on King as a starting corner, they need another safety, a faster TE, another RB. Many needs!

28 minutes ago, firstplace said:

You can never have enough quality at any position! I am not saying don't invest in another edge. I think after signing 2 in free agency it is not the priority. The Packers have needs at OL, Corner, Safety, DL, LB, TE . We have an aging QB and he needs to be protected. Our backup OL sucks. We can't depend on King as a starting corner, they need another safety, a faster TE, another RB. Many needs!

In the pro sports or life in general, it is not your income that makes you the best, it is your performance, your character, and your contribution to your team, family, friends, etc...that are the most important part of your life!

The edge from KC "Ford" led the NFL in sacks last year but in the playoff game they lost he had 0! I believe. They call it A Team Sport! The edge position is only one of the positions.

This is a slow build up of a really involved post.  Might be called a tease to see how the 2nd and 3rd chapters play out.

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

This is a slow build up of a really involved post.  Might be called a tease to see how the 2nd and 3rd chapters play out.

Really concerned that we're not gonna see the conclusion of this neverending trainwreck of a post if you guys keep calling this man out.

We also need to shiv this ridiculous cliche of "You can NEVER have too many pass-rushers!"

You absolutely can have too many good players at a position. A logjam is a problem, and no, not the good kind. It means you lose out on some of the talent at a position group while you have also sacrificed some at another.

Resources are scarce. It's foolish to try to throw a lot at a position group just to feel like it's "shored up." Now you're gonna be weaker elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

We also need to shiv this ridiculous cliche of "You can NEVER have too many pass-rushers!"

You absolutely can have too many good players at a position. A logjam is a problem, and no, not the good kind. It means you lose out on some of the talent at a position group while you have also sacrificed some at another.

Resources are scarce. It's foolish to try to throw a lot at a position group just to feel like it's "shored up." Now you're gonna be weaker elsewhere.

Tell that to the WR fetish people

6 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Packer fans' brains are broken after years of watching Rodgers get sacked so much.

Most offenses learned to negate the EDGE rushers by getting the ball out much more quickly. The Packers never similarly adapted, so our fans are still under the impression that EDGE guys are game-changers, because that is true of teams that faced us.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Only 12:30 but a strong candidate for lousy take of the day

Yeah, it’s just Packer fans. Other NFL teams don’t place  value on EDGE rushers or give them monster contracts.

6 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I would say that the better evidence that they are game changers is that they come in second only to quarterbacks in how much they’re paid. 

I think that’s more of a supply/demand thing, where truly elite “studs” are just so rare/hard to find.

But the Patriots wisely do not fall into this trap. They never give EDGE guys like Collins or Flowers that big pay-day that so many other teams do, even with Brady already taking way less than his market value. That’s why they are the Patriots and everyone else is not.

Also, realize what I am NOT saying. I’m not saying the EDGE position isn’t important. Not saying that. Every position is important. It’s just not QB-level important anymore, or even in-between QB and all the others.

16 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

I think that’s more of a supply/demand thing, where truly elite “studs” are just so rare/hard to find.

But the Patriots wisely do not fall into this trap. They never give EDGE guys like Collins or Flowers that big pay-day that so many other teams do, even with Brady already taking way less than his market value. That’s why they are the Patriots and everyone else is not.

Also, realize what I am NOT saying. I’m not saying the EDGE position isn’t important. Not saying that. Every position is important. It’s just not QB-level important anymore, or even in-between QB and all the others.

Oh honey, the Patriots are the Patriots because they have the greatest coach in football history, who also happens to be one of if not the greatest defensive minds in NFL history. Let's make a deal; if the Packers get Bill Belichick to run their defense, we'll stop mocking EDGE rushers. 

Also, fun reminder that the three teams to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl all invested massively in EDGE rushers. 

Oh, and Collins was an off-ball LBer, not an EDGE. 

20 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Oh honey, the Patriots are the Patriots because they have the greatest coach in football history, who also happens to be one of if not the greatest defensive minds in NFL history. Let's make a deal; if the Packers get Bill Belichick to run their defense, we'll stop mocking EDGE rushers. 

Also, fun reminder that the three teams to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl all invested massively in EDGE rushers. 

Oh, and Collins was an off-ball LBer, not an EDGE. 

Collins was also traded because he demanded more money. Rule #1 about playing for Bill Belichick: never talk money until it's time to negotiate. Everyone on that team but Brady is expendable and replaceable...

And they all know and accept it as part of winning Super Bowls.

They also know their jobs and do them.

"Just do your job"

I really dislike the Patriots, but, I do respect the hell out of them. Very well run org.

8 minutes ago, 66PinG said:

And they all know and accept it as part of winning Super Bowls.

They also know their jobs and do them.

"Just do your job"

I really dislike the Patriots, but, I do respect the hell out of them. Very well run org.

All starts with Kraft. He's really got a grip on that team and guides it with a firm hand.

Archived