I'm trying to understand why we are still mocking edge rushers.

AcGbPacker

1 hour ago, ChaRisMa said:

Because you NEVER have enough pass rushers.the value of a third pass rusher > several current needs.

Correct! Also, Z. Smith is going to slide inside on 3rd down. Fackrell will be leaving via free agency next off season. Not to mention while we did upgrade the EDGE we brought these two in but Perry and Matthews are down the road. Depth is Fackrell, Gilbert, Donnerson and the guy we brought in at the end of the season. Shouldn't give anybody a warm, fuzzy feeling. 

9 hours ago, Leader said:

You keep putting that Ferrell guy up there at 12!!!!! :)
Btw......TDN just mocked him to the Giants ! 17.......

Yep, I have an outlier opinion on this and I know it. Many big boards have Ferrell in the 17-25 range. It's just my opinion that he will be as good as (or better than) Burns and Sweat...............and I know you love Burns (who I also like a lot). 

Only way to find the answer to whether he should be on the same plateau, is wait two or three years (by which time most will have forgotten about it, or will not care one way or the other).

As an aside. the latest (Crabbs) Draft Network mock has the Packers taking Safety Chauncey Gardner Johnson at #12 (while J.Allen, C.Wilkins, M.Sweat were still on the board).  You might not like CGJ at #12, but TDN DID love Burns (he went 2nd overall to the 49ers).

8 minutes ago, AcGbPacker said:

No I'm not Ted but you can get some quality players in the 4-6 rounds.

We're drafting higher than we have in a dog's age......
This is supposed to be a really good EDGE class.......
And you want us to pass on all the top tier guys for some 4th round bodies.
I'm sure they're "quality players"....but are they difference makers (?) or will they just eat up snaps?

2 hours ago, VegasDan said:

In the Pettine system, pressure is expected to come from DEs, ILBs and safeties as much as OLBs. 

Personally, I would prefer a player who is on the field more than just probable passing plays. I want a defender who is going to force those 3rd and longs because he stuffed a RB on first and then flattened a WR on a sweep on 2nd down.

The thing is that Both Smiths can put their hands down and play de. That is what made them priority signings over Matthews.

35 minutes ago, AcGbPacker said:

I wasn't saying no edge, just not first round. Or second, or third.

I Agree, Since the four Free Agents signed, and Madison will be in camp, and Freakish athlete OLB Donovan. IMHO, we can focus on the BPA in the earley rounds. Landing a blue chiper that can start now, is more important than a rotational piece. A three down ILB or true Slot/ field streacher Reciver, a left guard, a Nickel/Dime CB a true Free Safety,  TE or a RB Are all holes that need to be filled 

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yep, I have an outlier opinion on this and I know it. Many big boards have Ferrell in the 17-25 range. It's just my opinion that he will be as good as (or better than) Burns and Sweat...............and I know you love Burns (who I also like a lot). 

Only way to find the answer to whether he should be on the same plateau, is wait two or three years (by which time most will have forgotten about it, or will not care one way or the other).

As an aside. the latest (Crabbs) Draft Network mock has the Packers taking Safety Chauncey Gardner Johnson at #12 (while J.Allen, C.Wilkins, M.Sweat were still on the board).  You might not like that, but TDN DID love Burns (he went 2nd overall to the 49ers).

Burns at #2 would be a shocker.  Thinking he'll go in the teens.  I would love it if either Allen or Bosa fell in our lap.  Thank you very much sometimes GM's overthink it and get cute.  One could only hope.  Back to the original question you can never have enough pass rushers.  This has been a sore subject for number of years for Packer fans.  In an elite class of rushers this is the year to grab one.  Same can be said for DL.  Hope #12 we can get one or the other.  My guess though is all the guys worthy of 12 will be gone and we'll end up taking Hock who will be a perennial pro bowler at TE.

Edge is one of the positions where if you want a difference maker, you usually gotta get them super early in the draft. Other positions can wait. Also, while we let our two starting edge rushers go in the off season we still don't know how the guys we paid to replace them will do.

Archived