I'm trying to understand why we are still mocking edge rushers.

AcGbPacker

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

You sound like Arrigo (I'm hearing from my sources it's the deepest DL class ever--stay tuned). 

It's not the deepest class ever, and it's not even a particularly saturated class. There's a few quality prospects here and there, but the talent is at EDGE. 

You sound like someone who has been following the NFL for 17 months (give or take a few). 

There's multiple classes in the last 10 years that had better DL groups--You only have to go back to the 2016 Draft to prove my point. 

I think when a couple guys went back like Brown, and after Simmons was injured, the top of the class took a hit.

But it's still the deepest I've looked at. 2016 dried up in Rd 3 quickly. This will have good players in 5 and all the way to UDFA. I think 2013 was the last deep one IIRC

Just now, rcon14 said:

the middle part of this IDL class is pretty soft IMO outside of Wren and Saunders. The top is great with Williams and Oliver and then scheme fit comes in for the next group of guys (Tillery, Wilkins, Lawrence), but I don't think the group as a whole is anything super special and day 3 is kind of a wasteland.

This is an accurate assessment of the situation. 

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

So "football players" now means "character guys?" Then just say character, don't use a weird cliche that doesn't actually say anything.

I think there's no doubt that especially with Gute character is of high priority, but it hasn't always been that way. GB took plenty of chances on guys. With Gute, however, I do think it's fair to toss character question guys off the board because it seems like that's what GB is doing.

Actually there's several things

1) A guy who loves football.

2) a guy who really knows it

3) a guy who wants to do everything it takes to win or be the best

Character is those plus

4) good off field

5) leader in the locker room and on the field.

Some guys have some or all of these. Now as the Packers actually repeatedly mention these things and we try to draft them, it's good to break these down. It helps tremendously identifying who the Packers really like and guys they take off the board, esp on NUMBER 3 above. That comes out in interviews too, why it's the most important thing at combine next to meds.

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

Actually there's several things

1) A guy who loves football.

2) a guy who really knows it

3) a guy who wants to do everything it takes to win or be the best

Character is those plus

4) good off field

5) leader in the locker room and on the field.

Some guys have some or all of these. Now as the Packers actually repeatedly mention these things and we try to draft them, it's good to break these down. It helps tremendously identifying who the Packers really like and guys they take off the board, esp on NUMBER 3 above. That comes out in interviews too, why it's the most important thing at combine next to meds.

These are mostly things we are never privy too so how don't see how we could, from the outside, know these things. They're definitely part of the team calculus, but I just don't see how there could be much confidence from the outside on any of it.

8 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I think when a couple guys went back like Brown, and after Simmons was injured, the top of the class took a hit.

But it's still the deepest I've looked at. 2016 dried up in Rd 3 quickly. This will have good players in 5 and all the way to UDFA. I think 2013 was the last deep one IIRC

This DL class wouldn't crack the Top 3 for the last decade. 

Someone has to say it... you can't just run around saying the same thing without any expectation of getting a dose of reality. 

On the other hand. This EDGE class IS the best class we've seen since 2011. 

46 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

This Jamaal Reynolds thing is just lazy and needs to stop. If you do a Burns:Reynolds comp for any reason, you're just being lazy and should feel bad.

So Burns will be great and not bust like Reynolds?

Please note the post I responded to likened passing on Burns (or some olb) to passing on Von Miller.  I was merely keeping with the theme, or do you think Burns is as good as Von Miller?

Or are you just being lazy with your comprehension and saw Reynolds and Burns in the same sentence and thought I was comparing them?

15 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

These are mostly things we are never privy too so how don't see how we could, from the outside, know these things. They're definitely part of the team calculus, but I just don't see how there could be much confidence from the outside on any of it.

You can watch their interviews and the reasons prospects are questioned and get a good feel for it.

Brown has said his true love is baseball. He's been in the minor leagues three years. There's a clear question there with him.

Why too the reports on Cobb and interest in him made him a clear pick for GB. Same thing with Isabella this year. The interest is there. The question is whether GB is willing to pay a 2nd for him.

35 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

The only non-athletes they've drafted int the past 15 years at those spots were Kyler Fackrell and BJ Raji

Why am I under the impression that Raji had absolutely ELITE traits for a big as an athlete? Wasn't his 10yd and vert insane for his size or something?

17 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

This DL class wouldn't crack the Top 3 for the last decade. 

Someone has to say it... you can't just run around saying the same thing without any expectation of getting a dose of reality. 

On the other hand. This EDGE class IS the best class we've seen since 2011. 

About 3 months ago Derrick Brown, Raekwon Davis, and Rashard Lawrence were all wavering on coming out. Not sure about Rashard, but the first 2 were likely 1st rounders. Also Jeffery Simmons was top 12 before he was injured. 

Christian Wilkens was more highly thought of as well.

At one time the DL was looking very strong.

26 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

So Burns will be great and not bust like Reynolds?

Please note the post I responded to likened passing on Burns (or some olb) to passing on Von Miller.  I was merely keeping with the theme, or do you think Burns is as good as Von Miller?

Or are you just being lazy with your comprehension and saw Reynolds and Burns in the same sentence and thought I was comparing them?

I was not comping Burns to Miller. I was saying that JaireAlex not liking "finesse" rushers is a weird stance to take. If Burns went to Arizona State and not Florida State, there would be no comp to make to Jamaal Reynolds. That is why it is lazy. I do not think Burns will be Von Miller, because expecting any prospect to be the best at their position is insanely overly optimistic. I was noting that finesse rushers, particularly very athletic ones, typically are the best at EDGE.

20 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

For those newcomers , he has the initials EB, and a lot of posters here had a big stiffy for him as welll.

FWIW the Everette Brown comp is pretty terrible too. He ran a 7.55 3C, a 4.53 shuttle. His only good drill was the 40. Burns is an elite athlete, Brown was quite literally an average one, which you just can't be as a finesse rusher.

Archived