Patriots re-sign K Stephen Gostkowski

RaidersAreOne

31 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea, a lot of Pats fans I read weren't that thrilled with the idea of re-signing him.

Said who? Generally I'm not a fan of 'overpaying' for a Kicker, but I'd rather pay up then find out what it's like to be in Kicker purgatory...something at least 25 teams seem to go through every year. I was quite shocked he was on the market for as long as he was after everything we've seen the last few years at that position...

24 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Said who? Generally I'm not a fan of 'overpaying' for a Kicker, but I'd rather pay up then find out what it's like to be in Kicker purgatory...something at least 25 teams seem to go through every year. I was quite shocked he was on the market for as long as he was after everything we've seen the last few years at that position...

Yup. Saving $1mil isn't worth being a 2018 Chicago Bears.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea, a lot of Pats fans I read weren't that thrilled with the idea of re-signing him.

He sucks in the clutch, especially in Super Bowls, but most fans think he is reliable enough that they wanted to have him re-signed.

Good-not-great kicker who has declined. Took over for Adam Vinatieri gracefully and for a while commanded this type of contract. The fact that this is a two year deal and the money is available with Gronkowski's retirement makes me partial to the signing given what little proven talent is available at the position now.

I would still like to see the Pats draft Cole Tracy.

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

He sucks in the clutch, especially in Super Bowls, but most fans think he is reliable enough that they wanted to have him re-signed.

Good-not-great kicker who has declined. Took over for Adam Vinatieri gracefully and for a while commanded this type of contract. The fact that this is a two year deal and the money is available with Gronkowski's retirement makes me partial to the signing given what little proven talent is available at the position now.

I would still like to see the Pats draft Cole Tracy.

He's been one of the best, most consistent Kickers this decade. He's also been money on KOs, especially when given a certain KO assignment, like pinning opponents deep. Your idea of him 'not being clutch' probably stems from the Denver playoff game among anything else, where his missed PAT early in the game was exaggerated because the team couldn't pull off the win the rest of the game. Your perception of him is also probably exaggerated by the fact that the Patriots play in more competitively close games than any team in recent history, constantly putting him in big pressure moments. And the fact that the Patriots consistently score and border field goal position at an alarmingly higher rate than most teams, increasing his vulnerability. He's been insanely consistent and has stepped up in the biggest, most needed moments time and time again. I can live with whatever shortcomings he has failed to deliver on in his career; whatever that may be, at least I know it's not what the rest of the league is suffering through because of their own ignorance to the value of such a position...

9 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

an alarmingly higher rate than most teams, increasing his vulnerability

A compelling argument but he is still average to below average when called upon for must-have field goals. Maybe instead of paying him like a hall of fame kicker they should have paid him like the borderline-pro bowl-alternate kicker he has been the last few seasons.

My opinion changed of this idea once the money wasn't so tight from Gronk's retirement. Although I still only trust Gostkowski half the time to make a pressure situation kick, the fact that there is cap room to afford him versus the alternative is certainly worth the investment.

19 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

A compelling argument but he is still average to below average when called upon for must-have field goals. Maybe instead of paying him like a hall of fame kicker they should have paid him like the borderline-pro bowl-alternate kicker he has been the last few seasons.

My opinion changed of this idea once the money wasn't so tight from Gronk's retirement. Although I still only trust Gostkowski half the time to make a pressure situation kick, the fact that there is cap room to afford him versus the alternative is certainly worth the investment.

He has hit 39 of 44 career playoff field goals. So you trust him 88% of the time. Just like you do in the regular season. 

2 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

He has hit 39 of 44 career playoff field goals. So you trust him 88% of the time. Just like you do in the regular season. 

No, I don't trust him that much. Early in his career I did but the last three seasons I'd say have ben shaky at best.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, DoleINGout said:

No, I don't trust him that much. Early in his career I did but the last three seasons I'd say have ben shaky at best.

The last three years in the playoffs he's missed 3 FGs out of 18 attempts, and two of them were a 53-yarder and 46-yarder (the third was a 26-yarder). He has missed a few XPs as well, though.

http://pfref.com/tiny/IIc0N

36 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

The last three years in the playoffs he's missed 3 FGs out of 18 attempts, and two of them were a 53-yarder and 46-yarder (the third was a 26-yarder). He has missed a few XPs as well, though.

http://pfref.com/tiny/IIc0N

and barely made some of those kicks as well. This last Super Bowl was the shakiest I remember. I believe one hit off the goal post and another short one narrowly made it. He is not as good as he used to be. His distance has decreased and his nerve is more easily shaken now. It's obvious really to anyone who pays attention during games.

Archived