Magic Johnson announces resignation

Thelonebillsfan

On 4/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, champ11 said:

Ben Golliver brought up a great point on his pod today - it seems unlikely that Magic would step down if he felt good about bagging a star in FA this summer.

Putting the pieces together, it looks pretty obvious that the Lakers won't get a top level star, but another sign.

Man. You just hate to see it. 

I'm not sure I'd go that far.  It's possible, but I think it has more to do with the Magic/Jeanie relationship.  Plus, Magic clearly doesn't feel that the best way to help the NBA is as a FO personnel for the Lakers.  Magic and Dr. Buss were incredibly close, so he feels a level of loyalty to Jeanie.  And from all reports, Jeanie was the one who was forcing the issue of keeping Luke around.  We've heard rumblings about Kyrie apologizing to LeBron, so it wouldn't be a crazy concept to see him leave Boston for Los Angeles (or New York).  The question is does he feel more loyalty to LeBron or New York?  Plus, there's always Kawhi in the background.  And worst case, they max out Jimmy Butler.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far.  It's possible, but I think it has more to do with the Magic/Jeanie relationship.  Plus, Magic clearly doesn't feel that the best way to help the NBA is as a FO personnel for the Lakers.  Magic and Dr. Buss were incredibly close, so he feels a level of loyalty to Jeanie.  And from all reports, Jeanie was the one who was forcing the issue of keeping Luke around.  We've heard rumblings about Kyrie apologizing to LeBron, so it wouldn't be a crazy concept to see him leave Boston for Los Angeles (or New York).  The question is does he feel more loyalty to LeBron or New York?  Plus, there's always Kawhi in the background.  And worst case, they max out Jimmy Butler.

There's a ton of factors leading into what happened. He might have been forced out eventually. But if he really just quit, hard to see him calling it and missing out on some credit and reputation saving of a successful summer. 

Kyrie playing with LeBron again would be insane after what happened and what we know. Absolutely wild. Obvi possible, but it would be shocking. Kyrie is all over the damn place so it's possible I guess 

Jimmy in LA is definitely possible. Hard to see any smart teams giving dude a max, so if LA wants to overpay Jimmy they can go crazy. 

No indications of Kawhi to LAL outside of dude being from Cali. 

22 hours ago, champ11 said:

There's a ton of factors leading into what happened. He might have been forced out eventually. But if he really just quit, hard to see him calling it and missing out on some credit and reputation saving of a successful summer.

I'm not sure why you're so convinced that Magic needs his ego stroked in that way.  Magic was the one who "secured" LeBron.  Regardless of what transpires this summer, that's a whopping success.

22 hours ago, champ11 said:

Kyrie playing with LeBron again would be insane after what happened and what we know. Absolutely wild. Obvi possible, but it would be shocking. Kyrie is all over the damn place so it's possible I guess 

Jimmy in LA is definitely possible. Hard to see any smart teams giving dude a max, so if LA wants to overpay Jimmy they can go crazy. 

No indications of Kawhi to LAL outside of dude being from Cali. 

But they also had their "make up", and it's been rumored that Kyrie is leaving Boston.  Not saying it a given, but the thought of Kyrie being a possibility for the Lakers a year ago was far fetched.  Now it seems to be a 3 horse race with New York, Boston, and Los Angeles (probably in that order in terms of likelihood).  That "reconciliation" along with Kyrie's comments as the season wore on tends to make the door open.  Not saying it's likely, but the odds have certainly gone up in recent years.  As for Kawhi, it's supposedly been Los Angeles all the way, with mixed reports about whether or not it's the Lakers or Clippers.  Sure, it could be a Paul George situation all over again, but my guess is that isn't the case.  He's heading to Los Angeles IMO.  Jimmy Butler is probably a last ditch effort, and even then I think if the Sixers offer more money he's staying put.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:55 PM, seminoles1 said:

He's certainly not the best player in the world anymore and not his most impactful, but he still just out up 28-8-8. If he is the 2nd best player on a team, then that team is sitting pretty.

Hes still by far the best player in the world he just had a crap team and doesn't try hard in the regular season. Everyone knows hes crank it up in playoffs.

This might be the most unpredictable free agency ever.  There's absolutely no telling what Kevin Durant or Kyrie Irving will do.  Hell, what if Durant took a smaller deal and went back to Oklahoma City?  Do I think he will do that... No.... But if anyone on this earth would do that - it would be Kevin Durant. 

I see reports talking about Kawhi Leonard going to the Clippers.  What indication does anyone have of that happening since Leonard doesn't talk to anyone about anything?  People saying he doesn't want to play with LeBron?  How the hell do these people know what he wants?

I wouldn't be shocked to see any of those three guys go to the Lakers this summer, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers signed nobody.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

This might be the most unpredictable free agency ever.  There's absolutely no telling what Kevin Durant or Kyrie Irving will do.  Hell, what if Durant took a smaller deal and went back to Oklahoma City?  Do I think he will do that... No.... But if anyone on this earth would do that - it would be Kevin Durant. 

I see reports talking about Kawhi Leonard going to the Clippers.  What indication does anyone have of that happening since Leonard doesn't talk to anyone about anything?  People saying he doesn't want to play with LeBron?  How the hell do these people know what he wants?

I wouldn't be shocked to see any of those three guys go to the Lakers this summer, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers signed nobody.

Durant would have to take the veteran's minimum to go back to OKC. I don't see that happening.