Arron jones

AcGbPacker

I actually think a day 2 pick or 4th at RB would make a lot of sense. Lets not keep overvaluing our guys. J Williams shouldn't get more than emergency carries. In 270 touches he's averaging 3.7 YPC (averaged 3.6/3.8 ypc in 2 different years). That is a large enough sample size to draw some conclusions (does some things well, but kind of a liability).

With Jones having injury issues and naturally being small, we probably really do need another horse back there, especially if we want to be more balanced.

13 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Agree entirely. It wouldn't shock me if Josh Jacobs is the pick at #30 or even (gasp) #12.

love me some josh jacobs.  he has everything i love in a RB except for breakaway speed.  and he would continue the string of JJ players taken each year making it impossible to use those initials on the forum.  would hate to take him at 12, would be ok but slightly uncomfortable taking him at 30, and would be all over him at 44.

13 hours ago, snackattack said:

I really like aaron jones, and jamal too, but i am willing to bet anyone a nickle that we draft a rb

I really like Jones as well.

However, I really wonder about Williams' role in the new offensive scheme.

As for drafting a RB, I fully concur and would not be shocked if 2 RBs got drafted, one in the mid rounds and another late.

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

So this brings up a point I think is important to discuss... What even the best teams are doing now is not the most efficient way to play the sport. For example, let's look at the NBA 3-pointer. In 2010, the Lakers beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals. The rules then were virtually the same as the rules now. Everyone knows the three point shot is the best non-dunk/layup shot.

2010 Lakers 3-point rate: 22%
2010 Celtics 3-point rate: 22%

Fast forward a few years to 2014 Heat/Spurs.

2014 Spurs 3-point rate: 25%
2014 Heat 3-point rate: 29%

Now let's fast forward to last year's finals matchup between the Warriors and Cavs.

2018 Warriors 3-point rate: 34%
2018 Cavs 3-point rate: 38%

The 3-point revolution took fourty years to really reach terminal velocity (1979-present), but teams are finally getting close to peak shot selection efficiency. This is the same thing we're seeing with passing offense. Looking back now, basketball offenses as recent as nine years ago look archaic and inefficient. We're going to look back at some point and see the years between 2003 and some time in the next few years and view it how we view that time in basketball: a stupid way to try and score points. If passing is inherently more efficient (out of 33 qualified QBs, the median QB had a 6.59 ANY/A vs median rushing attempt being 4.6 yards/attempts on 49 qualified RBs). If on average you can get about two extra yards per play passing, why would you ever run the ball unless the team was giving you a big numbers advantage in the box? I'm not team never-run, but why would you ever run into a heavy/even box UNLESS you were just burning clock at the end of the game?

So, New England just spent a one on RB.

And beat KC barely by running the ball.

1) You need the threat of the run.

2) Running is becoming a real option as teams go more nickel base

3) It prevents good pash rushing teams from sending your QB to ER.

But you hate RBs. I'm all for a very needed 3rd RB on day 3 just like you and view similarly for the most part. Outside Jacobs, no one is worth it, but Lacy did transform this offense. And I am looking at how this team can be made unstoppable and as dominant as the final four teams in last year's playoffs. It's not hard. Most pieces are in place.

But if Gurley was healthy, the Rams win. They ran the passing game through him. The run set up the pass and he was a passing weapon too. Jacobs has that potential with a far better QB.

second year WRs, a premier slot WR, and upgrade at OG or RT, and a RB like Jacobs could raise this offense from mediocre to unstoppable. Much much easier than doing the same on D, which requires a bit more patience imo and not just one man.

Jacobs is just one way to make the O feared. A better line is preferable, but harder. A slot WR is guaranteed in this draft since that is the biggest upgrade.

55 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I actually think a day 2 pick or 4th at RB would make a lot of sense. Lets not keep overvaluing our guys. J Williams shouldn't get more than emergency carries. In 270 touches he's averaging 3.7 YPC (averaged 3.6/3.8 ypc in 2 different years). That is a large enough sample size to draw some conclusions (does some things well, but kind of a liability).

With Jones having injury issues and naturally being small, we probably really do need another horse back there, especially if we want to be more balanced.

Consider the play-calling and who was doing it. That offense reverted almost to a remedial stage at points last season, especially after the rash of injuries.

10 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

So, New England just spent a one on RB.

And beat KC barely by running the ball.

1) You need the threat of the run.

2) Running is becoming a real option as teams go more nickel base

3) It prevents good pash rushing teams from sending your QB to ER.

But you hate RBs. I'm all for a very needed 3rd RB on day 3 just like you and view similarly for the most part. Outside Jacobs, no one is worth it, but Lacy did transform this offense. And I am looking at how this team can be made unstoppable and as dominant as the final four teams in last year's playoffs. It's not hard. Most pieces are in place.

But if Gurley was healthy, the Rams win. They ran the passing game through him. The run set up the pass and he was a passing weapon too. Jacobs has that potential with a far better QB.

second year WRs, a premier slot WR, and upgrade at OG or RT, and a RB like Jacobs could raise this offense from mediocre to unstoppable. Much much easier than doing the same on D, which requires a bit more patience imo and not just one man.

Jacobs is just one way to make the O feared. A better line is preferable, but harder. A slot WR is guaranteed in this draft since that is the biggest upgrade.

I don't hate runningbacks. I'm a fan of the Badgers. I'm well aware of how a running game can be effective in a different game, but the NFL is not that game.

New England may not do everything at 100% efficiency. No team operates at 100% efficiency. Sony Michel was not a major part of their offense and to insinuate otherwise is ridiculous.

Running does become easier as teams move to nickel, but they move to nickel because you have fewer box players on offense. It's all about if you have a + numerical advantage, which doesn't occur very often because running against a minus box is easy yards, so defenses don't allow it.

The reason Gurley was used less had everything to do with McVay's use of inside and outside zone. Gurley was used almost exclusively on outside zone runs, which teams began to take away later in the season.

Runningback do not matter. If you want to die on that hill, be my guest, but you'll be shooting mid range jumpshots while other teams are shooting threes.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Consider the play-calling and who was doing it. That offense reverted almost to a remedial stage at points last season, especially after the rash of injuries.

Play calling is one thing. The eye test is another. Jones is a higher end runner and Williams isn’t. Jones in 2 years has averaged almost 2ypc more 5.5 in 2 seasons). Same situation.

Williams has a role, but shouldn’t really get more than emergency touches. His pass blocking is solid and he finishes runs. He kind of sucks though at the primary purpose of the position though.

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I don't hate runningbacks. I'm a fan of the Badgers. I'm well aware of how a running game can be effective in a different game, but the NFL is not that game.

New England may not do everything at 100% efficiency. No team operates at 100% efficiency. Sony Michel was not a major part of their offense and to insinuate otherwise is ridiculous.

Running does become easier as teams move to nickel, but they move to nickel because you have fewer box players on offense. It's all about if you have a + numerical advantage, which doesn't occur very often because running against a minus box is easy yards, so defenses don't allow it.

The reason Gurley was used less had everything to do with McVay's use of inside and outside zone. Gurley was used almost exclusively on outside zone runs, which teams began to take away later in the season.

Runningback do not matter. If you want to die on that hill, be my guest, but you'll be shooting mid range jumpshots while other teams are shooting threes.

Gurley was injured. Pretty badly too. NE used RBs better than anyone. White is a WR/RB. Those are very valuable.

Not going to argue against the facts esp as regards Gurley's injury.

I do agree that I far prefer getting a stud at RT and RG than any RB. It all depends what is available. And Jacobs is a run/pass weapon. So slotting him as an RB is mistaken. He can run deep routes. He's much better than Lacy there.

2011 was all about stopping the pass and because we had no run threat, we lost .

But you make it sound as though running is obsolete. If you don't have premier WRs and the best line, you will have a dead QB.

Just now, JaireAlex said:

Gurley was injured. Pretty badly too. NE used RBs better than anyone. White is a WR/RB. Those are very valuable.

Not going to argue against the facts esp as regards Gurley's injury.

I do agree that I far prefer getting a stud at RT and RG than any RB. It all depends what is available. And Jacobs is a run/pass weapon. So slotting him as an RB is mistaken. He can run deep routes. He's much better than Lacy there.

2011 was all about stopping the pass and because we had no run threat, we lost .

But you make it sound as though running is obsolete. If you don't have premier WRs and the best line, you will have a dead QB.

Then why are you wasting picks on RBs instead of trying to get good WRs and good OL when we know running is less efficient?