Arron jones

AcGbPacker

5 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Aaron Jones is an elite RB on a per touch basis. Injuries are the primary problem here. Jamaal Williams is also perfectly competent. Spending anything more than a day 3 pick on a RB would seem unnecessary to me given a) RBs don't matter almost at all and b) GB already has two that are competent

What do you know of / think of this guy Kapri Bibbs (?) who we picked up last year from Washington.....

Just now, Leader said:

What do you know of / think of this guy Kapri Bibbs (?) who we picked up ast year from Washington.....

I don't know anything about him other than he's a bad athlete (1.94 RAS). I wouldn't consider him above the necessary "competent" threshold to be good enough for an NFL roster.

48 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Aaron Jones is an elite RB on a per touch basis. Injuries are the primary problem here. Jamaal Williams is also perfectly competent. Spending anything more than a day 3 pick on a RB would seem unnecessary to me given a) RBs don't matter almost at all and b) GB already has two that are competent

Williams averages 3.7 YPC. Im not sure I'd call that competent

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

Running the football is actually the least important of the runningback jobs.

Maybe under McCarthy. Lafluer wants to run the ball. Williams is great in pass protection, doesn't mean he can be a hack running it. 

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Maybe under McCarthy. Lafluer wants to run the ball. Williams is great in pass protection, doesn't mean he can be a hack running it. 

If MLF wants to run the ball a bunch that is a MLF problem. Running the ball is largely bad.

Just now, rcon14 said:

If MLF wants to run the ball a bunch that is a MLF problem. Running the ball is largely bad.

Green Bay threw the ball on 68% of their plays last year. Not being even closed to balance is more bad

Just now, smetana34 said:

Green Bay threw the ball on 68% of their plays last year. Not being even closed to balance is more bad

Balance is not 50% run 50% pass. That's a stupid way of looking at. Balance shouldn't even be a goal. The goal is to be as efficient as possible on offense so you can score as many points as possible. The most efficient way to score in the modern NFL is passing the football.

4 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Balance is not 50% run 50% pass. That's a stupid way of looking at. Balance shouldn't even be a goal. The goal is to be as efficient as possible on offense so you can score as many points as possible. The most efficient way to score in the modern NFL is passing the football.

I never said 50/50. There is a middle ground between 68 and 50. There's no reason we can't be closer to 60/40. All four of your championship teams last year were right at or below that number, and were considered four of the best offenses in the league, if not the best four. There's 0 reason we can't be the same

Just now, smetana34 said:

I never said 50/50. There is a middle ground between 68 and 50. There's no reason we can't be closer to 60/40. All four of your championship teams last year were right at or below that number, and were considered four of the best offenses in the league, if not the best four. There's 0 reason we can't be the same

So this brings up a point I think is important to discuss... What even the best teams are doing now is not the most efficient way to play the sport. For example, let's look at the NBA 3-pointer. In 2010, the Lakers beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals. The rules then were virtually the same as the rules now. Everyone knows the three point shot is the best non-dunk/layup shot.

2010 Lakers 3-point rate: 22%
2010 Celtics 3-point rate: 22%

Fast forward a few years to 2014 Heat/Spurs.

2014 Spurs 3-point rate: 25%
2014 Heat 3-point rate: 29%

Now let's fast forward to last year's finals matchup between the Warriors and Cavs.

2018 Warriors 3-point rate: 34%
2018 Cavs 3-point rate: 38%

The 3-point revolution took fourty years to really reach terminal velocity (1979-present), but teams are finally getting close to peak shot selection efficiency. This is the same thing we're seeing with passing offense. Looking back now, basketball offenses as recent as nine years ago look archaic and inefficient. We're going to look back at some point and see the years between 2003 and some time in the next few years and view it how we view that time in basketball: a stupid way to try and score points. If passing is inherently more efficient (out of 33 qualified QBs, the median QB had a 6.59 ANY/A vs median rushing attempt being 4.6 yards/attempts on 49 qualified RBs). If on average you can get about two extra yards per play passing, why would you ever run the ball unless the team was giving you a big numbers advantage in the box? I'm not team never-run, but why would you ever run into a heavy/even box UNLESS you were just burning clock at the end of the game?

31 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I believe we can run the ball a bit more but more importantly, how about using the running back out of the backfield catching more passes?  We just haven't done it the past number of years while a number of top notch playoff caliber teams have used it extensively.  Utilizing that running back as such can be considered an extension of the running game.   I truly hope LF uses this much more this year.  If we don't have the right rb to do so …. draft one specifically for that purpose in the mid to lower rounds.  

Just now, coachbuns said:

I believe we can run the ball a bit more but more importantly, how about using the running back out of the backfield catching more passes?  We just haven't done it the past number of years while a number of top notch playoff caliber teams have used it extensively.  Utilizing that running back as such can be considered an extension of the running game.   I truly hope LF uses this much more this year.  If we don't have the right rb to do so …. draft one specifically for that purpose in the mid to lower rounds.  

Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams have been good as receivers. Aaron Jones college tape as a receiver is special stuff. The guy is running some vertical routes out of the backfield. Biggest misuse of his skillset by MM was not incorporating that skillset into the offense.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams have been good as receivers. Aaron Jones college tape as a receiver is special stuff. The guy is running some vertical routes out of the backfield. Biggest misuse of his skillset by MM was not incorporating that skillset into the offense.

MM just couldn't make the changes in his system to do it.  Good gosh I hope they do some passing routes out of the backfield this year!  Agree Jones could be lights out if they do. 

I don't see why some feel RB is this great need. We have an excellent 1-2 punch in Jones and Williams and then we signed Tra Carson, someone we wanted in the draft/UDFA last year IIRC, and Kapri Bibbs who's solid in a pinch. I'm not going to get mad if we draft one Day 3, but I don't see what it needs to be addressed before then unless Damien Harris falls down the boards or something...

Archived