Arron jones

AcGbPacker

15 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Play calling is one thing. The eye test is another. Jones is a higher end runner and Williams isn’t. Jones in 2 years has averaged almost 2ypc more 5.5 in 2 seasons). Same situation.

Williams has a role, but shouldn’t really get more than emergency touches. His pass blocking is solid and he finishes runs. He kind of sucks though at the primary purpose of the position though.

Ideally, you have Jones wear out the defense for the first 3 quarters and have Jamaal finish it out when the defenses legs are tired. 
Hoping MLF utilizes this. 

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Yeah, this. Having an elite RB is a nice luxury until you have to pay them.

Keep snagging athletic RBs in the middle rounds and you'll be gucci.

Top ten.....absolutely never.

In this particular draft class, weak at the top, I'm ok with a 20 or 30 or 44 for Jacobs only. More ok as it moves down and better with it than a TE. His locker room is a big plus too.

Still, I'd rather have Dillard or a DL at 20......not much else in this class.

And I wouldn't hesitate to let him Jacobs go in 4 years. It's a lease for Rodger's final years. NE, Denver, NO all did the same for their aging QBs. Even Elway. Just kind of a no brainer I am not against nor would I complain about.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Ideally, you have Jones wear out the defense for the first 3 quarters and have Jamaal finish it out when the defenses legs are tired. 
Hoping MLF utilizes this. 

I feel like this was such a cliche 80s head football coach post. We're going to grind them out and then attack them with a sledge hammer when they are tired.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

I feel like this was such a cliche 80s head football coach post. We're going to grind them out and then attack them with a sledge hammer when they are tired.

Lmao oh god you're right. Let me get my prune juice out of the fridge.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I actually think a day 2 pick or 4th at RB would make a lot of sense. Lets not keep overvaluing our guys. J Williams shouldn't get more than emergency carries. In 270 touches he's averaging 3.7 YPC (averaged 3.6/3.8 ypc in 2 different years). That is a large enough sample size to draw some conclusions (does some things well, but kind of a liability).

With Jones having injury issues and naturally being small, we probably really do need another horse back there, especially if we want to be more balanced.

I agree with everything you state above but am curious what Coach LaFleur might do with Williams.

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Well below league average. Not competent enough at all

Gurley had a 3.2 year once. Bell 3.5. he's not a special runner obviously but he doesn't feel like "3.7" caliber to me either

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Gurley had a 3.2 year once. Bell 3.5. he's not a special runner obviously but he doesn't feel like "3.7" caliber to me either

All im saying is Jamaal Williams can definitely be improved upon. And with Jones inability to stay healthy, we need another player. And Kapri Bibbs isn't that guy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

All im saying is Jamaal Williams can definitely be improved upon. And with Jones inability to stay healthy, we need another player. And Kapri Bibbs isn't that guy. 

In a perfect world, it would be better to have that player, but considering that RBs don't appear to have a great deal of influence in their own YPC (see James Conner, CJ Anderson vs Todd Gurley/LeVeon Bell), why would you spend any meaningful resoureces (whether that be cap space or draft capital) on a position where it's very easy to find competent replacements.

4 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

In a perfect world, it would be better to have that player, but considering that RBs don't appear to have a great deal of influence in their own YPC (see James Conner, CJ Anderson vs Todd Gurley/LeVeon Bell), why would you spend any meaningful resoureces (whether that be cap space or draft capital) on a position where it's very easy to find competent replacements.

No disagreements. My initial comment was that we need a RB more than a WR. And I'd rather one of those than a WR. But I also don't think we need a WR, yet everyone is mocking them to us in the 2nd or 3rd. I'd rather those picks all be spent on defense or OL

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

No disagreements. My initial comment was that we need a RB more than a WR. And I'd rather one of those than a WR. But I also don't think we need a WR, yet everyone is mocking them to us in the 2nd or 3rd. I'd rather those picks all be spent on defense or OL

If given the option of a WR or RB on day 2 I'm taking the WR 10 times out of 10 regardless of positional need. Worst-case scenario is you go four-wide and few teams can contend with that with defensive backs of high quality. This was basically GB's offense in 2010-2011.

8 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

You are ignoring the fact that Gurley was injured down the stretch.

Anderson was barely competent. In general though I do agree good backs are found in later rounds. At the same time, if there's an above average skill set, that's a great fit, it can be worth a higher pick. It's more than just the YPC because someone like Lacy opened up the passing game. It really depends on fit.

So, if there is a good fit at 30, I am happy with it "in this draft class" in which 30 is the same as 70 for me. Not a big difference at all between those players. It really comes down to particular draft classes and what your choices are at that spot in the draft 

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

You are ignoring the fact that Gurley was injured down the stretch.

Anderson was barely competent. In general though I do agree good backs are found in later rounds. At the same time, if there's an above average skill set, that's a great fit, it can be worth a higher pick. It's more than just the YPC because someone like Lacy opened up the passing game. It really depends on fit.

So, if there is a good fit at 30, I am happy with it "in this draft class" in which 30 is the same as 70 for me. Not a big difference at all between those players. It really comes down to particular draft classes and what your choices are at that spot in the draft 

Yeah I don't think we're even operating in the same universe.

40 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

oh of course. But I'm also in the camp he'll perform statistically better next year. 

18 minutes ago, Norm said:

oh of course. But I'm also in the camp he'll perform statistically better next year. 

Would that be the year thats in a few months (?) or are you predicting a memorable performance in the Super Bowl?  :)

• Like 1