Another Top 100 List Disrespects Broncos

AnAngryAmerican

ESPN is out with their top 100 players in the NFL list. Unsurprisingly, because it's the national media, the Denver Broncos, especially the No Fly Zone, is disrespected.

Here are some of the low-lights. 

• Von Miller is #4 overall, or the 2nd-best defensive player, after Aaron Donald. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers were #1 and #2, respectively. 
  • Chris Harris Jr. is #33 overall, the 13th-best defensive player and the 4th-best CB after Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman and Marcus Peters. 
  • Aquib Talib is #35 overall, the 14th-best defensive player and the 5th-best CB.
  • Those three are the only Broncos on the list. No T.J. Ward, no Darian Stewart, no Brandon Marshall, no Derek Wolfe. 
  • The Broncos do not have a single representative from the offensive side of the ball, no Emmanuel Sanders, no DeMaryius Thomas, no Matt Paradis. 
  • Of the 4 teams in the AFC West, the Broncos with three, have the fewest representatives in the top 100. L.A., K.C., and Oakland all have 4 players on the list. 

Your thoughts. 

I'd say Harris is a little lower than he should be. Very fair for Miller. Emmanuel/DT could have been on there around 90 over Landry and Thomas. But they are borderline. Wolfe should have been on there in the 80s-90s as well. 

But these lists are so tough tbh. Our three obvious elite players are on there.  Wolfe and Paradis are elite at two of the least flashy positions. I think there was only 1 or 2 centers on the list so I'm not surprised Paradis wasn't given a look. DT and Sanders are borderline top 10 receivers. 

I honestly don't watch or read anything on ESPN but don't they refer to PFF rankings/stats? If so, players like Wolfe, Paradis, Sanders, and Stewart should be on there.

I think AAA is right about Denver never getting it's fair share of the spotlight by the national media. I mean look at the atrocious selection of Bobby Beathard over Pat Bowlen..

Harris is the best corner in the league and Talib is either #2 or #3. I would put DT and Wolfe on the list too.

I think this year is going to silence anyone doubting CHJ is the best at what he does. He looks poised to make more plays than he ever has, and everything just looks so easy for him. 

Never been a fan of these sorts of rankings. Obviously they're created to ignite debate but it borders on the ridiculous when you see where certain players are ranked and some players aren't ranked at all.

Even though it was the players that voted I was glad when JJ Watt pointed out how daft his ranking was in NFL Network's top 100 players as he had only played so many games. I honestly don't think the majority of players pay too much attention anyway.

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

9 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

I mean look at the atrocious selection of Bobby Beathard over Pat Bowlen..

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I was just about to make that point. 

To be fair to the Committee, one factor influenced them - 2 owners got in the year before, they wanted to get a non-owner this year.  Plus, next year, 2 are allowed to be nominated.  Seems like Bowlen is a lock then.  Still sucks given his health issues that it's not now.

What's not so great is the 2nd factor - Betheard's assistant GM Casserly was part of the nomination process in a big way.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bobby-beathard-named-contributor-finalist-for-2018-hall-of-fame-vote-over-pat-bowlen/

I can live with the first factor, the health issue and Casserly's involvement really stinks.  It's probably not a case of DEN underexposure - if anything, next year I'd expect both Bowlen and NYG's George Young to get the nod, both are extremely deserving, no-brainers IMO.

20 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Harris is the best corner in the league and Talib is either #2 or #3. I would put DT and Wolfe on the list too.

I think this year is going to silence anyone doubting CHJ is the best at what he does. He looks poised to make more plays than he ever has, and everything just looks so easy for him. 

I agree. I don't understand why so many in the national media do not see it. I know Richard Sherman has a big mouth, I know Patrick Peterson is a dynamic talent and Marcus Peters burst on the scene last year in a big way. But CHJ is better than all three. 

Archived