Patriots sign TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (One year deal)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I already spoke about Welker, Woodhead was also undrafted and had his most productive years (and only 1k yards years) with the Chargers. Van Noy I will give you, I'm not sure Gilmore was really any different than he was with the Bills.

Patriots do a great job of getting guys that fit their system but it isn't like they become stars from nothing like was mentioned , they are mostly role players which is exactly why they were brought in and why the Patriots have been successful (along with Brady/Belichick of course).

Yep probably right more so that they are able to find role players that don't necessarily fit on other teams but are put in a role that they can succeed in with the Pats.

It seems the Pats try and find different types of role players that are less coveted so they can get them cheaper and use them sparingly for exactly what they excel at.

1 minute ago, sryan66611 said:

Yep probably right more so that they are able to find role players that don't necessarily fit on other teams but are put in a role that they can succeed in with the Pats.

It seems the Pats try and find different types of role players that are less coveted so they can get them cheaper and use them sparingly for exactly what they excel at.

And when/if the time comes for a big contract they move on and find another role player to fill that spot.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I already spoke about Welker,

Which is why I said “depending how strictly” you want to follow those exact words. He wasn’t a “hyped, young player” but he was a non-factor that turned into one of the most productive players in the NFL for a period of time. 

Woodhead was also undrafted and had his most productive years (and only 1k yards years) with the Chargers. 

2010 was his best year. 

I'm not sure Gilmore was really any different than he was with the Bills.

Gilmore was highly criticized (deservedly) after the deal NE signed him to - mostly by Bills fans. This season he was a first time all-pro and one of the best CBs in the league. Gilmore of 2017, you’d have a point.

Patriots do a great job of getting guys that fit their system but it isn't like they become stars from nothing like was mentioned , they are mostly role players which is exactly why they were brought in and why the Patriots have been successful (along with Brady/Belichick of course).

It was a joke. You said it was a good joke. I said that the sentiment gets overstated too.

Sounds like you’re saying it just to say it, now.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

2010 was his best year. 

Rushing, sure.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It was a joke. You said it was a good joke. I said it gets overstated.

Sounds like you’re saying it just to say it, now.

Not sure what you are implying that I was saying. It certainly does get overstated. Probably happens with the same frequency with any other team.

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Rushing, sure.

Yeah, running - big factor for being a running back. 

Not sure what you are implying that I was saying. It certainly does get overstated. 

See:

46 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It gets overstated, but Kyle Van Noy is probably the most recent one. 

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Van Noy I will give you...

Patriots do a great job of getting guys that fit their system but it isn't like they become stars from nothing like was mentioned...

If you understood that it was a joke and accept KVN as an example; why go ahead and bust the myth, per se? The comment was about hyped, young players disappointing and then flourishing with the Pats - no one said they go from nothing to star players. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

If you understood that it was a joke and accept KVN as an example; why go ahead and bust the myth, per se? The comment was about hyped, young players disappointing and then flourishing with the Pats - no one said they go from nothing to star players. 

Well I'm still not sure what is going on so agree to agree or agree to disagree, whichever we are doing.

This thread is so confusing. 

Roster guy with some potential.  Still think the Pats look to TE at least by sometime day 2.  they like having a couple capable guys out there on gameday, and they have about 1/2 right now. 

Given that rookie TEs hardly ever contribute much, I could see ASJ dominating their TE target share. ASJ was one of the best TE talents in recent years, but had some personal issues as a young man. Once he got past them, he had to battle several injuries just when he was heating up. This and battling bad QB play on abysmal offenses, which has basically followed him throughout his NFL career. I think he will surprise with Brady and be statistically one of the better TE steals in fantasy drafts once you get past the elite ones. He is the best TE weapon they have right now and for the season. Unless the Pats trade up for Hockenson or Fant.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Rushing, sure.

Not sure what you are implying that I was saying. It certainly does get overstated. Probably happens with the same frequency with any other team.

It is just a lot more noticeable on the pats because they win, 

We've seen this before despite the *** for Tat the past two PG's on world play.

Patriots signing cast offs, former high draft picks, players who didn't live up to the hype with thier original  team only to come in and conform  to the Patriot Way. IF HE STAYS HEALTHY  (big if) ,no reason to think he will be any different. Good Signing. 

Archived