Patriots sign TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (One year deal)

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Dude's gonna have a monster season if he can play to his potential. 

I just don’t see it. Last year, he played in 4 games and had 90 yards and 1 TD. Extrapolating that across 16 games, you get 360 yards and 4 TDs. Had he actually put up those pedestrian numbers, he would have had the best year of his entire career. 

Catching passes from Brady can certainly help. But he would also need to learn a far more advanced route tree than he’s used to, and quite frankly I’m not certain he has it in him to be the type of cerebral player it takes to find success in the Patriots offense. At best, he’s a 500 yard, 6 TD guy in that offense. And even then, that’s stretching it. 

2 hours ago, pwny said:

At best, he’s a 500 yard, 6 TD guy in that offense. And even then, that’s stretching it. 

I'd take that. Especially if we draft an up-and-coming TE in a couple weeks time. Splitting the load with the above stats should be fine.

3 hours ago, pwny said:

I just don’t see it. Last year, he played in 4 games and had 90 yards and 1 TD. Extrapolating that across 16 games, you get 360 yards and 4 TDs. Had he actually put up those pedestrian numbers, he would have had the best year of his entire career. 

Catching passes from Brady can certainly help. But he would also need to learn a far more advanced route tree than he’s used to, and quite frankly I’m not certain he has it in him to be the type of cerebral player it takes to find success in the Patriots offense. At best, he’s a 500 yard, 6 TD guy in that offense. And even then, that’s stretching it. 

Pretty good I would take it. Add in 400-500 yards from a rookie and we could top last years TE production.

7 hours ago, pwny said:

I think it is easier for the TE to pick up than a WR. It is not like they are going to give him Gronk's assignments in one training camp.  I assume he will just get the slot and in line responsibilities, and they won't be setting him up out wide like they did gronk 15 times a game.   

11 hours ago, pwny said:

Yeah.  For all the "athleticism" he showed coming out of the draft, he certainly didn't much look the part to me, even when he was healthy last year.  He's gonna have a ton of work to do honing the technical and mental aspects of his craft on top of that, to really find big success in that Patriots offense.

I'm sure Bill will find ways to get some production out of him as part of a revolving door of TEs for the year...but i'm not sure a big "breakout" is all that likely, unless he takes a big step forward as a TE, or the Pats somehow implausibly do not manage to find anyone else to compete with him for targets.

Archived