Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

As a Packer fan, even if Aaron goes on to win 1-2 more rings and another MVP, this season will be quite honestly unexplainable and indefensible in the GOAT discussion. 

Only thing that you can hope is the case that doesn't hurt his legacy is that he broke himself compensating his fundamentals to be able to play through that knee. Anything else, whether it be coaching relationship, WR trust, etc looks bad for him.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

As a Packer fan, even if Aaron goes on to win 1-2 more rings and another MVP, this season will be quite honestly unexplainable and indefensible in the GOAT discussion. 

Only thing that you can hope is the case that doesn't hurt his legacy is that he broke himself compensating his fundamentals to be able to play through that knee. Anything else, whether it be coaching relationship, WR trust, etc looks bad for him.

Are you suggesting that this lone season is going to tarnish his legacy? 

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well said.

9 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It shouldn't. Aaron is having a down year because the O-line can't handle A gap pressure very well. The Packers chose to go cheap at G and IMHO it is affecting Aaron's play. Maybe Madison was supposed to plug in there. Bell and McCray were not the answer. Taylor and Linsley are meh. Aaron's return to great play begins with two Sitton/Lang quality guards. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Patriots are 5th in points per drive this year. 

Packers are 12th.

Not sure where you got your stats from but I saw NE 10th at 2.36 ppd and the Packers 15th at 2.08

Considering the significant knee injury Rodgers had that messed with his mechanics I'd say they did alright.  

Also difficult to deny that NE has had an easier schedule to date.  They've played 4 teams currently in the playoffs and all but Chicago was at home.  The Packers have played 6 games against playoff teams and only 2 have been at home.    

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

It shouldn't. Aaron is having a down year because the O-line can't handle A gap pressure very well. The Packers chose to go cheap at G and IMHO it is affecting Aaron's play. Maybe Madison was supposed to plug in there. Bell and McCray were not the answer. Taylor and Linsley are meh. Aaron's return to great play begins with two Sitton/Lang quality guards. 

Not saying OL play is irrelvant to QB production. Stupid I'm not.
But - OL play doesnt cause a QB to suddenly start slinging it sidearm. Or having his passes miss left, right, high and low to open receivers - who he never seems to hit in stride anymore. Or having him "put the DB back in the play" when he throws short to a WR thats got his man beat down the sideline - causing the WR to slow/stop and fight thru the DBs body for the ball. Or to bypass open receivers - ESPECIALLY (for some unknown reason) in the middle of the field. 

OL plays important. No doubt. But AR's not been AR this year.
Why exactly? Thats the million dollar question.

Edited by Leader

30 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Must be the cool thing to bag on Rodgers.

Rather than saying the sensible thing that he’s not having his best season, people continue to take every shot they can on him.

People are going to be in for a rude awakening when he’s gone. 

One would think folks would have seen what it might be like without him last season when he was out all those weeks.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Why exactly? Thats the million dollar question.

Could the leg injury have caused him to change his mechanics and now he has bad habits?  He wasn't able to move for several weeks and when he did you could see he was injured.  No practice for weeks on end didn't help either.  

Just now, eyecatcher said:

Could the leg injury have caused him to change his mechanics and now he has bad habits?  He wasn't able to move for several weeks and when he did you could see he was injured.  No practice for weeks on end didn't help either.  

On top of missing last year.  I'm in denial that he 'deliberately sucked to get Mac fired' as that would be about as low as it gets.  But it seems like the toughest position in all of sports might take a while to get back to his level with the injuries in the last 2 years.  

15 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Look.  Aaron Rodgers has amazing arm talent.  He has an almost unparalleled competitive drive.  And the mind that demands excellence around him.

The great ones make things look easy.  Jordan, Lebron, Tiger, Phil...etc.

Football, though, requires practice.  A lot of the success depends on guys around you.  I think that the knee injury really hurt Rodgers...as that knee injury kept him from practicing with the new guys.  Then when he hit the field, I think the brain was telling him to do things, physically, that his body couldn't handle.  All of that led to a lot of frustration.

As much of a mess as he was on the field, body language wise, can you imagine how this guy was beating himself up while alone and at home?  I can almost guarantee that the mental dialogue was terrible.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

So the GOAT can only be the GOAT when he has Pro Bowl+ talent at the OL? That's not very GOAT-like.

Edited by Striker

28 minutes ago, Striker said:

So the GOAT can only be the GOAT when he has Pro Bowl+ talent at the OL? That's not very GOAT-like.

I think Rodgers is going to be up for this game .. he can stifle the critics with a great performance against the Bears defense.  Maybe he'll flop, but I have this strange feeling he is going to do some carving.  We should definitely run a similar scheme to what he ran in the second half of the opener ... hurry up, spread them out, short passing game, shotgun, etc. 

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I'm suggesting when you say Rodgers is the very best of all time and someone says "what about his 2018?" What will you say?

There's nothing that can tarnish his legacy as a HOF QB, but GOATs don't have seasons like this. When you debate if he's the best ever, you'll have to have a logical explanation for this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I'm suggesting when you say Rodgers is the very best of all time and someone says "what about his 2018?" What will you say?

There's nothing that can tarnish his legacy as a HOF QB, but GOATs don't have seasons like this. When you debate if he's the best ever, you'll have to have a logical explanation for this season.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if Rodgers has 3 more very good years after this year, I think we can sort of agree that the knee injury + coaching issues played a substantial part in it. 

• Like 1