Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't want to see fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL .. too much injury risk.  Just pay the guy 30 mil per with a sizable signing bonus.

What's the difference between 70m-80m and 100m guaranteed? Something happens you're screwed either way. Might as well try to save AAV so you can build a better roster around the guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What's the difference between 70m-80m and 100m guaranteed? Something happens you're screwed either way. Might as well try to save AAV so you can build a better roster around the guy.

It was dumb of the Skins to pay out that kind of a guarantee ... I wouldn't want to see the Packers take it even one big step further.  

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It was dumb of the Skins to pay out that kind of a guarantee ... I wouldn't want to see the Packers take it even one big step further.  

That doesn't hold up in negotiation.

Aaron's agent "Well Alex Smith got over 70m guaranteed and my client is far and away the better QB."

Packers "Well that was dumb of them so we're going to act like it didn't happen."

The contract exists, it's out there and now it's a benchmark for Aaron. You can't ignore it because it wasn't something you'd consider smart.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Aaron's agent "Well Alex Smith got over 70m guaranteed and my client is far and away the better QB."

Packers "Well that was dumb of them so we're going to act like it didn't happen."

The contract exists, it's out there and now it's a benchmark for Aaron. You can't ignore it because it wasn't something you'd consider smart.

I think we need to see what the language of that new Alex Smith contract looks like.   It may be $70M in guaranteed, but how, when, what specifics that guaranteed $$ means is an unknown at this point

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Agreed.

And the Stafford deal will be the one the agent leans on more than the Alex Smith deal

I know you posted that Stafford deal before.  How are you seeing a potential next Rodgers deal comparing in terms of APY and guarantees?  

I am wondering at what point does that Rodgers contract become a hindrance.  

Rodgers contract

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2018, 5 YR, $86,679,529; $0 DEAD CAP

2018 Contract details by year 34 $19,800,000 - $262,500 $500,000 $20,562,500 - $20,562,500($107,242,029)  
2019 Contract details by year 35 $20,000,000 - $600,000 $500,000 $21,100,000 - $21,100,000($128,342,029)

Those next 2 years are awesome value for the top tier QB.  Does GB sign him to an extension, OR use the franchise tag for 2020 and look to find a replacement for beyond that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I know you posted that Stafford deal before.  How are you seeing a potential next Rodgers deal comparing in terms of APY and guarantees?  

Sorry, but I really haven't a clue in that arena and I'm leaning on you guys to sort that out...

Rodgers or his agent floated the idea of tying his deal to a percentage of the cap and there are +/-  for that concept. I'd love to see something unique that leaves the needed cash to build the rest of the team. Das Gute may want to be more active in FA, but he's gonna need the cash to do it over the next 3 seasons

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It exactly. What if they gave him $300 mil per year? You bet the Packers would laugh at a request from Aaron like that. The question is where does it get funny for Green Bay?  Personally I think that’s way too much for Smith. I’d also let Rogers play out his contract and the extended him at that point. He’ll turn 36-37 that year. If we can’t find a suitable number I’d tag him.

Unless the Packers need cap room the next couple years which right now, they don’t. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

6 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

It exactly. What if they gave him $300 mil per year? You bet the Packers would laugh at a request from Aaron like that. The question is where does it get funny for Green Bay?  Personally I think that’s way too much for Smith. I’d also let Rogers play out his contract and the extended him at that point. He’ll turn 36-37 that year. If we can’t find a suitable number I’d tag him.

Unless the Packers need cap room the next couple years which right now, they don’t. 

I think this is an interesting situation for QB going forward.  GB can have Rodgers for 3 years at a pretty reasonable cap number.  Beyond that, it becomes much harder to figure out how much a new Rodgers contract might be with total APY and guarantees for a 37 year old QB.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Does anyone have further thoughts about Rodgers comments this morning pertaining to him thinking he should have been consulted with about the Alex Van Pelt decision? Wasn't it ultimately AVP's decision to seek further options? 

Was that the team's line?

I don't know enough about what happened and why, but you could imagine McCarthy won't be happy with Rodgers' comments. Rodgers has these moments when you sense he's almost had enough of McCarthy and he lets it slip.

17 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Does anyone have further thoughts about Rodgers comments this morning pertaining to him thinking he should have been consulted with about the Alex Van Pelt decision? Wasn't it ultimately AVP's decision to seek further options? 

Did not hear what he said exactly, but it is sounding more and more like a Farve situation in that Rodgers wants more say in the front office and coaching business.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Did not hear what he said exactly, but it is sounding more and more like a Farve situation in that Rodgers wants more say in the front office and coaching business.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22285473/aaron-rodgers-miffed-green-bay-packers-bring-back-qb-coach-alex-van-pelt

Maybe not that big of deal, maybe it was spun out of context like the media likes to do. I didn't hear it live, just read it from multiple different people. I do agree with you unfortunately, it seems like he might be getting to where Favre was at this point in his career. I hope it doesn't turn out like that. 

Edited by MaryTsraining3s