Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Aaron Rodgers needs timeouts since he never gets to the line with more than 10 seconds left.

This one always makes me confused. It was this way in 2011 where perhaps the most efficient offense in NFL history existed in GB. Rodgers has deteriorated his game in some ways, this one has always existed and was not an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This one always makes me confused. It was this way in 2011 where perhaps the most efficient offense in NFL history existed in GB. Rodgers has deteriorated his game in some ways, this one has always existed and was not an issue. 

What do you mean it’s not an issue?  He had more wasted timeouts than anybody in 2018.  It IS an issue.  It’s not an issue when he’s having the best season of any QB in NFL history.  It is absolutely an issue when he can’t even get over 7.5 yards per attempt.  

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What do you mean it’s not an issue?  He had more wasted timeouts than anybody in 2018.  It IS an issue.  It’s not an issue when he’s having the best season of any QB in NFL history.  It is absolutely an issue when he can’t even get over 7.5 yards per attempt.  

It's like having a flat tire and the auto-tech comes to the car and changes your windshield wipers. Minor issue? Sure. I'd rather work on the things (like throwing into tight windows over the middle) that can make him an elite QB again. 

Just now, cannondale said:

Definitely Rodgers' fault that the play calls were so lengthy that a wristband had to be used

The Packers had more wasted timeouts than any team in the league in 2018 when Rodgers had been in McCarthy's system for his entire career. 

I bet LaFleur called a 4th down play that specifically said, "Don't throw the football if there's nothing there; wait for 5th down." 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

The Packers had more wasted timeouts than any team in the league in 2018 when Rodgers had been in McCarthy's system for his entire career. 

I bet LaFleur called a 4th down play that specifically said, "Don't throw the football if there's nothing there; wait for 5th down." 

Yes. I'm sure you're right about that. 

Here's a totally unsupported take on this "Aaron never throws the middle" that I'm basing on nothing but memory and some random notes, so it can probably be safely ignored:

I think Aaron isn't going through his reads properly anymore.  People talk a lot about him staring down Davante, but that just seems to be a smaller piece of a larger issue.  It seems like he's getting into this habit of deciding where the ball is going pre-snap, and most of his head movement/eye placement is just to set up that throw.  So many times you see him 'scan' the field, but then just end up hitting the boundary throw to a covered receiver anyway.  If it's really not there, it's playground time.  He's a smart guy with a ton of experience, obviously this works and the basic ideas are tenets of QBing (manipulating safeties with your eyes, pre-snap reads), but when he's wrong on his read or his guy doesn't win, the offense suffers.

This plays into him ignoring the middle of the field for two reasons: his favorite receiver (and best by far to be fair) is Tae and a ton of his routes are on the boundary.  By focusing targets on him even if he's not the best option, your boundary numbers go up while your middle of the field numbers go down.  The second is you can't throw over the middle late.  Like, there's a few hard no-no's of QBing, and that's one of them.  So unless Aaron actually reads the play with full intent to hit the open man, by the time he comes to the middle it's simply too late.  Playground ball really doesn't play well with targeting the middle unless you're Russell or Mahomes and willing to throw back across to the middle, and that's never been Aaron's style.  He'd much rather look for someone headed to the sideline, run it, or throw it away.

You see this in the four games Tae missed.  Robbed of the guy he expected to win most often, he actually had to go through his reads, and surprise surprise, all the arm talent and mental acuity is still there and he's a monster.  Tae comes back and boop, right off the cliff again.  It's not a surprise both Jones and Graham's best days receiving came when Tae was out.  

I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze why I think he does this, as I'm almost certain to be wrong.  Maybe I'll actually check the tape and see if these thoughts even hold up on second viewing.  But regardless, if it is an issue he's having, it's not actually a hard one to fix.  It's just a habit that needs to be worked on, a play at a time in practice and in games.  You can break habits, it just takes discipline and time.  I still remain hopeful and firmly believe he has MVP-caliber play in him.  The best things about his game actually do age well, that being his quick release, pocket manuverability and intelligence.  No reason he shouldn't be a top 3 QB this year, but it's up to him.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's like having a flat tire and the auto-tech comes to the car and changes your windshield wipers. Minor issue? Sure. I'd rather work on the things (like throwing into tight windows over the middle) that can make him an elite QB again. 

Is there any merit to the knock on him waiting until the very last second to snap the ball thus giving the DL the advantage?  Or is still just a matter of execution by the OL and it's an overblown issue?  You'd think we'd switch it up and hike the ball at different points to keep defenses guessing a little bit.  Tbh I thought this would've changed post-MM but clearly that isn't the case.

Edited by thrILL!

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Is there any merit to the knock on him waiting until the very last second to snap the ball thus giving the DL the advantage?  Or is still just a matter of execution by the OL and it's an overblown issue?  You'd think we'd switch it up and hike the ball at different points to keep defenses guessing a little bit.  Tbh I thought this would've changed post-MM but clearly that isn't the case.

It's not really a fixable issue IMO. The WC offense is the longest language off offenses in the NFL, super wordy play calls because you're literally going through the assignment of everyone. Then you have the fact that we now motion a lot with LaFleur, we did less under Mac. We also run more personnel under LaFleur so you have guys trotting on the field all the time. Now we're at the line with 10-12 seconds left. Rodgers is always going to hard count to get the defense to show their hand and then adjust the play accordingly. I just don't see it changing. Never has bugged me. 

17 hours ago, cannondale said:

Definitely Rodgers' fault that the play calls were so lengthy that a wristband had to be used

I don't think he wore a wrist band because the calls were so lengthy.   Last year he was operating under a new offense for the first time in his career.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:22 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

Continuing a little two year comparison 

Aaron 1,172 attempts 8,444 yards 51 TDs 6 ints 

Cousins 1,050 attempts 7,900 yards 56 TDs 16 INTs ( a lot of fumbles)

Wentz 1,008  attempts 7100 yards 48 TDs  14 ints 

Also 

Dak has 1,120 attempts 

Brady 1,180

Watson 1000

So it looks like to me outside of Mahomes, Jackson * and Wilson ,  he’s still been playing at a top 10 level, I’d argue closer to the top 5.

and that’s despite throwing to two mid round rookies, Randall Cobb and Jimmy Graham as his secondary targets in 2018 in a broken offense. 

Then the following year with Graham , Allison , half the year of MVS and 45 targets to Jamal Williams. This in an entirely new offense.

That’s pretty damn good in my eyes. 

Whatever he has been doing it’s still been working despite everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I don't think he wore a wrist band because the calls were so lengthy.   Last year he was operating under a new offense for the first time in his career.

Combination of both.  MLF's system is known to be very wordy on the play calls, and Rodgers was was still learning it.  I don't expect the wrist band to be something Rodgers wears long term.  I think his pride alone would prevent it.

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Hey this is the "appreciation" thread. Key word there. You have your own thread where we've given you all the space you need to vent about how Rodgers has ruined this franchise. Positive vibes only here. xD ;)

For example: Here's a compilation of throws by Rodgers, some of which maybe 1 or 2 other QBs in NFL history could make. Just enjoy. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

This editorial was written right after the NFCCG loss

https://www.packers.com/news/aaron-rodgers-the-window-is-open-for-us

er0fses0kfact9ausob7.jpg

"It felt like it was something special just because it didn't really make sense," Rodgers said of the team's 13-3 record and first-round playoff bye. "We weren't picked by most people to win the division, and we found a way not only to do that, but win a home playoff game …

He couldn't praise General Manager Brian Gutekunst and the personnel staff enough for all the moves they made – from the big free-agent acquisitions of Za'Darius Smith  and Preston Smith, Adrian Amos and Billy Turner, to the under-the-radar pickups like B.J. Goodson, Tyler Ervin, and Jared Veldheer.

He equally applauded the leadership of Matt LaFleur and his coaching staff in their first year at the helm, bringing all the parts together, empowering the players, and getting them to buy into their roles.

"That's what made it special," Rodgers said. "It was a player-led team and a close-knit group. The pieces are in place.

"Last year I felt we needed to reload. We were 6-9-1. Now it's just adding to, keeping the framework in place. I feel good about our team and our organization."