Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

I appreciate what Rodgers recently said about the virus, and of course everyone else hates him for it.  Like how dare you bring up consequences of global lockdown procedures, Aaron!  How dare you care suicide hotlines are up 8,000 percent and that for every percent unemployment goes up, 40,000 people die nevermind the uptick in abuse and deaths from heart attacks, strokes, every medical issue unaddressed because people are afraid to go to hospitals, poverty, hunger and everything else about lockdown measures causing more death and leading to more years lost than the actual virus.

How dare you?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

As times goes on, the less I like Rodgers as QB and the more I love him as a person (except for the fact that he considers Nickeback as quality music).

You can still like him and think you will this year as a QB and agree on the person.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:26 AM, Packerraymond said:

Watching old highlights, guess I didn't appreciate this throw live. This might be one of his top 5 craziest throws. That is an unreal ball he threw. Probably the best pass of 2019.

That was video game stuff there... Amazing!

Just reading through some threads today, I saw a lot of different stuff about Rodger not being elite since 2014. That Rodgers has been a different player since 2015. I also saw stuff about his salary cap number hurting the Packers... Of course all of that is a bunch of nonsense; I'll break some of it down. 

First, the salary cap.

2013: $12.2M

2014: $18.1M

2015: $18.6M

2016: $19.6M

2017: $20.7M

2018: $20.9M

2019: $29.4M

2020: $21.7M

(some of this might be dated and a little inaccurate. I think it's pretty close. I'll edit if need be)

What in the heck are Pack fans bellyaching about? The only reason the Packers had success since the 2011 SB is because of Aaron Rodgers. This is what his salary cap numbers have been the last eight seasons including 2020. This has been an enormous bargain for the Packers, yet I haven't seen any appreciation for it. What I have seen is bellyaching how his cap numbers are hurting the team... unbelievable!

For his play from 2015-2019, 2015 was a fun year. The year of the Hail Mary!

Rodgers got off to a great start in 2015. He was player of the month in September. He had a passer rating around 115 going into Denver. Yeah, that game against that Bronco team that ended up winning the SB. The Packers got run over. Rodgers passed for something like 80 yards. He hurt his knee that game and played the rest of the season on that hurt knee. He needed two surgeries in the off season to get it right. The 2nd surgery was recuperative in nature, so that's a good thing.

He wasn't the same after the injury. He also had to deal with diminished talent around him. That was the year he made James Jones' corps look like the best WR in the NFL until that Denver game. It was Devante Adams' infamous 2nd season when he couldn't catch a pass.  It was also the year when the Packers had to play their PS OL against the Cardinals in December. I think Rodgers got sacked 9 times that game. Rodgers gutted it out. The Packers beat the Redskins in the Playoffs and took the Cardinals to OT in the 2nd round.

All in all, when healthy, Rodgers was great. He overcame team deficiencies to get the team in playoffs. After he got hurt, he was just good. 

2016. The year Rodgers called his shot and "Ran the Table" to Atlanta with a secondary starting Ladarius Gunter as the #1 CB- wow!

Maybe his greatest year. This video says it all:

2017 was the year he broke his collar bone. He had a so-so game to start the year, then was amazing until he broke the collar bone in the W7. He had a great game in Dallas beating the Cowboys in W6. He had a passer rating just below 110 before the injury. The Packers were awful without him, so he tried to come back against the Panthers with the injury not fully healed. He wasn't right, he had his only 3INT game of his career.  He was shut down, didn't play again the rest of the year.

Again, another great year for Rodgers ruined by an injury.

2018 started off with probably Rodgers' greatest game. He hurt his knee, got carted off and the Packers imploded. He limped out after half time and won the game... I don't have the words. Here's a video:

For the rest of the season, it was rough. Rodgers was hurt, he didn't have experienced WRs after Adams and McCarthy got fired. What I'll hit on was Rodgers last game in 2017 and his first game in 2018.

Has there ever been a gutsier sequence then Rodgers' back to back games against the Panthers and Bears? (Answer: No!)... From, putting his life on the line trying to save 2017, to saving the first game of 2018 on one leg is the thing of legends. We are truly blessed as Packer fans to have Aaron Rodgers as our QB.

For 2019, it just happened, so we know it. Mostly good, some bad. Rodgers was really handicapped by with a lot of awful WRs getting  a lot of PT. Now that we're in the 2nd season of the new system with an upgraded WR corp, I'm feeling very optimistic.

Edited by Donzo
salary cap correction
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Just reading through some threads today, I saw a lot of different stuff about Rodger not being elite since 2014. That Rodgers has been a different player since 2015. I also saw stuff about his salary cap number hurting the Packers... Of course all of that is a bunch of nonsense; I'll break some of it down. 

First, the salary cap.

(some of this might be dated and a little inaccurate. I think it's pretty close. I'll edit if need be)

What in the heck are Pack fans bellyaching about? The only reason the Packers have had success since the 2011 SB is because of Aaron Rodgers. This is what his salary cap numbers have been the last eight seasons including 2020. This has been an enormous bargain for the Packers, yet I haven't seen any appreciation for that. What I have seen is bellyaching how his cap numbers are hurting the team... unbelievable!

Rodgers got off to a great start in 2015. He was player of the month in September. He had a passer rating around 115 going into Denver. Yeah, that game against that Bronco team that ended up winning the SB. The Packers got run over. Rodgers passed for something like 80 yards. He hurt his knee that game and played the rest of the season on that hurt knee. He needed two surgeries in the off season to get it right. The 2nd surgery was recuperative in nature, so that's a good thing.

He wasn't the same after the injury. He also had to deal with diminished talent around him. That was the year he made James Jones' corps look like the best WR in the NFL until that Denver game.  It was Devante Adams' infamous 2nd season when he couldn't catch a pass.  It was also the year when the Packers had to play their PS OL against the Cardinals in December. I think Rodgers got sacked 9 times that game. Rodgers gutted it out. The Packers beat the Redskins in the Playoffs and took the Cardinals to OT in the 2nd round.

All in all, when healthy, Rodgers was great. He overcame team deficiencies to get the team in playoffs. After he got hurt, he was just good. 

2016. That was year Rodgers called his shot and "Ran the Table" to Atlanta with a secondary starting Ladarius Gunter as the #1 CB- wow!

Maybe his greatest year. This video says it all:

2017 was the year he broke his collar bone. He had a so-so game to start the year, then was amazing until he broke collar bone in the 7W. He had a great game in Dallas beating the Cowboys in W6. He had a passer rating just below 110 before the injury. The Packers were awful without him, so he tried to come back against the Panthers with the injury not fully healed. He wasn't right and didn't play again the rest of the year.

2018 started off with probably Rodgers greatest game. He hurt his knee, got carted off and the Packers imploded. He limped out after half time and won the game... I don't have the words. Here's a video:

For the rest of the season, it was rough. Rodgers was hurt, he didn't have experienced WRs after Adams and McCarthy got fired. What I'll hit on was Rodgers last game in 2017 and his first game in 2018.

Has there ever been a gutsier sequence than Rodgers games against the Panther and Bears. From putting his life on the line to try to save 2017 to saving the first game of 2018 on one leg is the thing of legends. We are truly blessed as Packer fans to have Aaron Rodgers as our QB.

For 2019, it just happened, so we know it. Mostly good, some bad. Rodgers was really handicapped by with a lot of awful WRs getting  a lot of PT. Now that we're in the 2nd season of the new system with an upgraded WR corp, I'm feeling very optimistic.

The large text is the dumbest thing half our fanbase honestly believes.

+++

Cap Hit/Passer Rating Rank

2013: 11th/5th

2014: 6th/2nd

2015: 4th/15th

2016: 10th/4th

2017: 6th/8th

2018: 14th/13th

2019: 2nd/12th

53 (average of 7.5ish)/59 (average of 8.5ish)

I'm not seeing a dude who was underpaid. I'm seeing a dude who was paid right in line with his performance. 

And that 2020 number is a little misleading considering he restructured it so that his cap hit in 2021 is now 40 million, and every single one of his contracts was written in such a way so as to maximize his upfront money and minimize his risk rather than going for the huge non-guaranteed sums. 

+++

In 2015 he was 15th in passer rating. Don't tell me that's a great season. There's never been a bad season in the history of the NFL if we gloss over all the bad parts because there was an offseason surgery waiting at the end of it. For all the talk about how there wasn't any receiving talent on that team. Randall Cobb played 92% of snaps that year, of course this was the QB that doesn't throw to the middle of the field, so a very good slot receiver doesn't really help as much. 

In 2015 the Packers defense was better than the offense (12th in points allowed. 15th in points scored). The idea that Rodgers carried a team by himself when that team had an above average defense is just stupid. 

+++

In 2016 Rodgers had a great regular season and then totally choked in the NFC Championship game.

It was eerily familiar to this most recent loss to the 49ers this year. 0 first half points scored by the offense and then some empty stats late to make the score semi-respectable so that his fans could blame the defense. And don't get me wrong, the defense was terrible. But the defense being terrible doesn't excuse Rodgers **** performance.

+++

In 2017 Rodgers had 2 really bad games to start out the year, had a pretty good game, had two really good games, got hurt, and then had another really bad game when he tried to come back from injury. 

Nobody has any idea how 2017 would have gone had he not gotten hurt. 

+++

In 2018, he finished 13th in passer rating on a team with the 14th best offense in the league as part of a dismal season that ended with McCarthy getting fired. 

+++

In 2019, he finished 12th in passer rating on a team with the 15th best offense in the league as part of a really good season that ended at 13-3.

His season was a tale of two seasons:

Games 1-8: 65% 2324 yards/16 TDs/2 INTs/8.6Y/A/106.7 Passer Rating

Games 9-16: 59% 1678 yards/10 TD/2 INTs/5.87Y/A/84.2 Passer Rating

He had a really good playoff game against Seattle.

He had a horrendous game against San Francisco with some late game stat padding to pretend to make it respectable. Again, 0 first half points. 

+++

Putting his life on the line???? Did we play the game in an active duty combat zone? Good Lord, let's keep this thing in perspective. He tried to come back from an injury. So did every other damn player that year. Playing hurt is part of playing in the NFL.

And of course, it wouldn't be a Rodgers homer post without ****ting on the rest of team. No mention of the great offensive line that really boosted his performance, tops in the league in seconds to pressure felt, just ****ting on a WR group that had 25% of it's snaps carried by an All-Pro caliber WR.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Donzo said:

First, the salary cap.

What in the heck are Pack fans bellyaching about? The only reason the Packers had success since the 2011 SB is because of Aaron Rodgers. This is what his salary cap numbers have been the last eight seasons including 2020. This has been an enormous bargain for the Packers, yet I haven't seen any appreciation for it. What I have seen is bellyaching how his cap numbers are hurting the team... unbelievable!

He wasn't the same after the injury. He also had to deal with diminished talent around him. That was the year he made James Jones' corps look like the best WR in the NFL until that Denver game. It was Devante Adams' infamous 2nd season when he couldn't catch a pass.  It was also the year when the Packers had to play their PS OL against the Cardinals in December. I think Rodgers got sacked 9 times that game. Rodgers gutted it out. The Packers beat the Redskins in the Playoffs and took the Cardinals to OT in the 2nd round.

2016. The year Rodgers called his shot and "Ran the Table" to Atlanta with a secondary starting Ladarius Gunter as the #1 CB- wow!

2017 was the year he broke his collar bone. He had a so-so game to start the year, then was amazing until he broke the collar bone in the W7. He had a great game in Dallas beating the Cowboys in W6. He had a passer rating just below 110 before the injury. The Packers were awful without him, so he tried to come back against the Panthers with the injury not fully healed. He wasn't right, he had his only 3INT game of his career.  He was shut down, didn't play again the rest of the year.

2018 started off with probably Rodgers' greatest game. He hurt his knee, got carted off and the Packers imploded. He limped out after half time and won the game... I don't have the words. 

Has there ever been a gutsier sequence then Rodgers' back to back games against the Panthers and Bears? (Answer: No!)... From, putting his life on the line trying to save 2017, to saving the first game of 2018 on one leg is the thing of legends. We are truly blessed as Packer fans to have Aaron Rodgers as our QB.

Here's some stuff from anther poster about 2016 (Run the table) and Rodgers' playing against Carolina in 2017.

"As spectacular as Rodgers' run was in the regular season to close 2016. What he did in the post season was even better.

The Giants in Lambeau was so much fun, and cold! There was so much pressure on Rodgers after calling his shot and running the table in the regular season. The Giants were getting so much hype from beating us in the post season in 2008 and 2011 at Lambeau. The cute pick was the Giants to continue the trend and beat them for a 3rd time. Rodgers just wasn't going to have it. He had 368 yards and 4 TD's. Amazing game. Cobb was great. The defense actually played well, stoning the Giants after their 3rd quarter TD. It was the last time they played defense that season.

The Dallas game is one of my favorite games in the Rodgers era. They just couldn't stop the Cowboys in the 2nd half. Rodgers answered every call. The play and pass to Cook to set up the game winning FG was mind blowing. It stinks Adams didn't see the ball on the throw to the 15 yard line. He didn't make a play on the ball, which I have to admit, led to a nice INT by Dallas. If Adams makes a play on the ball it's more than likely a TD or at least an incomplete PD. It's OK though. It lead to Rodgers great play and Crosby being the hero. Good stuff.

The wheels fell off in ATL. The Packers defense had no chance that game. Still, if Ripp didn't fumble at the 5 yard line and the game was 10-7. Who knows how it would have turned out? Rodgers tried to lead a late comeback like he did against the Cardinals his first playoff game. It just wasn't meant to be. ATL was by far the better team.

One little thing I like was when Rodgers went deep on 3rd and twenty something. It got picked, but I liked the effort. He took a shot and it turned into a punt. I'd like to see more of that."

Yep- Rodgers was in Godgers mode the whole way after calling his shot- amazing!

On Rodgers playing against the Panthers:

"I still can't believe Rodgers was allowed to play that game. If he got hit and his collar bone went into his lungs, heart or an artery, Rodgers dies. It's how bull riders die.

I was scared the whole game. I had a bad feeling. I didn't care a bit we lost and the season was over. I just wanted Rodgers to get off the field."

Yeah, I didn't like it either. We could tell he wasn't right from the get go. I was hoping McCarthy pulled him at half time. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Just another great Rodgers story.

Edited by Donzo
time edit check

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Oh boy ... here comes the "but Rodgers has sucked the past 5 years" crowd.  

There was already a blue check stooge named Dov Kleiman who noted Rodgers has more Ints than TDs in the champ round.

Im not sayin, im just sayin.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Fantastic stuff there!

Considering the junk he's had to throw to in recent years, it makes that accomplishment even more amazing.

No doubt, he's been one of the biggest bargains in the history of the NFL.