Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

What baffles me is when I ask does anyone view him as a choker and nobody ever answerers. Statz doe.

I don't think he is a choker (whatever that really means), but I do not have a lot of optimism, if GB is down by 10+ points at halftime, that the team will pull out the win.  Not all of that is on Rodgers, but as the highest paid player and the defacto leader of the team, rightfully so or not, it will fall on him.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I don't think he is a choker (whatever that really means), but I do not have a lot of optimism, if GB is down by 10+ points at halftime, that the team will pull out the win.  Not all of that is on Rodgers, but as the highest paid player and the defacto leader of the team, rightfully so or not, it will fall on him.

It's a team stat used against one guy. Agreed?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

It's a team stat used against one guy. Agreed?

Sure...win loss are a team thing.  Just when players at similar positions are judged against one another, the surrounding team gets lost in the shuffle and these things become magnified.  

Probably best to not bring up the stat about how Rodgers has beaten 30 of the other 31 NFL teams..... be consistent with the team concept for W/L

Edited by squire12

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sure...win loss are a team thing.  Just when players at similar positions are judged against one another, the surrounding team gets lost in the shuffle and these things become magnified.  

Probably best to not bring up the stat about how Rodgers has beaten 30 of the other 31 NFL teams..... be consistent with the team concept for W/L

I'd like to see how many times the defense gave up the lead he built in these comeback things.

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'd like to see how many times the defense gave up the lead he built in these comeback things.

2008 season had many fine examples of this and spawned the infamous "Rodgers isn't clutch" meme from Nagler and others

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200811300gnb.htm

scroll down to the win probability chart...

I'm too lazy to look it up.  Heck, I don't even know if this can be looked up, but to those with time......

Can someone tell me how many teams Rodgers has lost when the defense scores points?  Safety or touchdown?

My only point is this....dude needs some help from the D from time to time.   I think we all know that.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm too lazy to look it up.  Heck, I don't even know if this can be looked up, but to those with time......

Can someone tell me how many teams Rodgers has lost when the defense scores points?  Safety or touchdown?

My only point is this....dude needs some help from the D from time to time.   I think we all know that.

I've seen it broken down but I have no idea how to find it.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yes we do know that... and teams that go on SB runs get contributions from all 3 phases. That was true in '96 and in 2010. Take a stroll through the 2010 playoff run and note how often the defense made huge game-plays. When they were at the Eagles, several huge defensive plays including the final INT from Tramon.

vs ATL we all talk about Rodgers' awesome day, but Tramon Williams took a TD off the board with one INT ( which Rodgers then converted) and then took another 3 off the board right before the half with his pick 6. BJ Raji made the pick-6 play in the NFCCG and Collins pick six and Bush's INT along with Spill-It Pickett sealed the deal in the SB.

Defense wins Championships.. and it doesn't hurt to have a contribution from STs - see Howard, Desmond et al 1996

The whole thing can't be on Rodgers' shoulders, Favre was the same way. They need help to beat 3 playoff teams in a row

Yup.  Here's my beef with the Packers.  And I can't pin it on TT, players, or coaches.  It is kind of all of them.

GB needs a blue chipper on defense.  I think AG20 refers to them as "game wreckers".  I think you can argue, somewhat, that they replaced Collins with HHCD.  
Matthews now isn't what Matthews was in 2010.

And we have no even come anywhere close to replacing what Woodson gave us.  

I wouldn't mind a Julio Jones kind of move up the draft board, or a larger dip into free agency if it meant getting a blue chipper on defense.  Sure it is a crapshoot, but it is obvious to me that is what is needed.

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yup.  Here's my beef with the Packers.  And I can't pin it on TT, players, or coaches.  It is kind of all of them.

GB needs a blue chipper on defense.  I think AG20 refers to them as "game wreckers".  I think you can argue, somewhat, that they replaced Collins with HHCD.  
Matthews now isn't what Matthews was in 2010.

And we have no even come anywhere close to replacing what Woodson gave us.  

I wouldn't mind a Julio Jones kind of move up the draft board, or a larger dip into free agency if it meant getting a blue chipper on defense.  Sure it is a crapshoot, but it is obvious to me that is what is needed.

Mike Daniels right now is as good as Clay ever was

Daniels to me is similar (albeit better) than Cullen Jenkins was on that Super Bowl team.

Matthews now is worse than Matthews then.

HHCD isn't Nick Collins, but he isn't all that far behind (except for these 2 games this year)

No one is remotely close to Woodson.  He was the difference maker.

And we haven't touched on the "other" corners yet.