Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

Just now, eyecatcher said:

That's ridiculous.  So one average year tarnishes a player to the point they can't be GOAT?   

Brady has had average seasons.  Brees has had average seasons. Marino had some below average seasons.  

I guess the new GOAT is Mahomes since he's only had one year and has been outstanding.

I didn't say that he couldn't still be the GOAT. This season is his worst in his career. By definition when you lower your average of fantastic with an average season, it hurts your long term legacy. 

Marino and Brees aren't in the GOAT conversation. 

Montana, Brady, Manning, Rodgers.

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They were 6th in points that year. Why penalize Brady for his backs vulturing a bunch of TDs?

You can make those qualifiers anywhere. Throwing 12 INTs more than Aaron is a significant difference. 

Why penalize Rodgers, his HC got fired. 

My point is, people have off years.

Edited by Rainmaker90

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

You can make those qualifiers anywhere. Throwing 12 INTs more than Aaron is a significant difference. 

Why penalize Rodgers, his HC got fired. 

My point is, people have off years.

Uh, he got his coach fired.

And No, people that are competing for literally the Greatest Of All Time title get knocked when they have an off year?

How is this a complicated topic? Is my brain broken?

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Uh, he got his coach fired.

And No, people that are competing for literally the Greatest Of All Time title get knocked when they have an off year?

How is this a complicated topic? Is my brain broken?

It is complicated if you dare question the greatness of a starting quarterback in Green Bay.

33 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It won’t though.

Does anyone bring up Brady’s 09 when he threw for 28 TDs and 13 INTs? No. Nor should they. You look at things as a whole.

If I recall, Brady did take quite a bit of flak because they also bombed out of the playoffs that year. And this was coming off of the 2008 season where Matt Cassell tore it up. So the system QB talks started to ratchet up again.

Of course, since then, the Patriots have been to 4 Super Bowls and won 2 of them. But the critics and criticisms aren't silenced unless your most expensive player delivers like he's being paid to do.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I don’t disagree with that at all.

When we talk about Aaron’s legacy, this year isn’t going to tarnish it in the slightest.

The original claim is that even if Aaron won another SB and MVP that this year would still weigh over his legacy , which I think is ridiculous.

I was interrupted mid-thought by work, I really should just quit my job, and be a full time Packers fan.  Maybe I can get a part time job taste testing cheetos.  

What I was actually getting at is that this season will look really pretty in 5 years.  Maybe a bit down on the TD numbers.  If he goes 1:1 in each of the remaining games, he still finishes with 26:4 and probably 4500+ yards (arguably better than 2010 stats wise).  A couple more seasons of 30+ TDs and less than 10 INTs, and this is a low TD year with a disappointing team, and nothing else.  Especially if they rack up a couple more wins and the record is more below average than bad.  Has anyone had a season this pretty on a team this bad? Off the top of my head, maybe Brees or Stafford?

I don't think this season hurts Rodgers at all in all time talks.  You will always have the championships argument, which he likely needs at least 2 more to get people on the championship train to even consider it anyway.  This season really adds to his ridiculous efficiency numbers.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Striker said:

It is complicated if you dare question the greatness of a starting quarterback in Green Bay.

It's not that complicated. @AlexGreen#20 wants to say Rodgers got his coach fired.  Maybe his coach is the reason he's having a down year.  I don't think it's even that bad.  It hasn't been spectacular but there are factors that definitely play into that.  Pretty painful knee injury in week 1.  Losing Jordy Nelson.  2 Rookie WRs that have played significant time with a QB that hasn't practiced half the season.  A TE that seems to not be able to grab the ball.   Why should one year take away from his GOAT status when that year still has him in the top 10 statistically league wide?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

It's not that complicated. @AlexGreen#20 wants to say Rodgers got his coach fired.  Maybe his coach is the reason he's having a down year.  I don't think it's even that bad.  It hasn't been spectacular but there are factors that definitely play into that.  Pretty painful knee injury in week 1.  Losing Jordy Nelson.  2 Rookie WRs that have played significant time with a QB that hasn't practiced half the season.  A TE that seems to not be able to grab the ball.   Why should one year take away from his GOAT status when that year still has him in the top 10 statistically league wide?  

1. Top 10 statistically is going to knock your GOAT chances. Not sure how that's arguable. If you're in an argument to be first of everyone who's ever played the game, and you're having a year where you come in tenth of forty, that isn't a good look.

2. What statistics is he elite in this year other than the INT stats?

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. Top 10 statistically is going to knock your GOAT chances. Not sure how that's arguable. If you're in an argument to be first of everyone who's ever played the game, and you're having a year where you come in tenth of forty, that isn't a good look.

2. What statistics is he elite in this year other than the INT stats?

We will just have to agree to disagree.  What stat was Montana elite in ever?  He had some elite seasons for sure.  Lots of guys have.   Montana had 4 QBRs over 100 in his career, a 63% completion rate and a 2:1 TD:INT ratio.  Brady has a 97 QBR, 64% completion rate and a 3:1 TD:INT ratio.  Rodgers is at 103.4 QBR, 64.8% completions,  and  4.25:1 TD:INT ratio.  So with that in mind can anyone ever be considered the GOAT by your standards?  

43 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

We will just have to agree to disagree.  What stat was Montana elite in ever?  He had some elite seasons for sure.  Lots of guys have.   Montana had 4 QBRs over 100 in his career, a 63% completion rate and a 2:1 TD:INT ratio.  Brady has a 97 QBR, 64% completion rate and a 3:1 TD:INT ratio.  Rodgers is at 103.4 QBR, 64.8% completions,  and  4.25:1 TD:INT ratio.  So with that in mind can anyone ever be considered the GOAT by your standards?  

Now adjust for era. Ridiculous to be comparing 80s stats again 10s stats.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Now adjust for era. Ridiculous to be comparing 80s stats again 10s stats.

How would you like me to do that?  Montana led in QBR a couple years of his career.  He led in yards a couple years too.  I'm sure he led in TDs as well at some point.  He also had a few seasons where he wasn't top 10 in those categories.  So how can he be considered in the GOAT conversation?  Every QB in history has had years where they weren't the best in every category.  1 year that isn't elite should not diminish Rodgers legacy.  Now if he continues playing at this level sure...  

• Like 1

There is a line here, and I am trying to straddle it.

This is an off year, that won't look like it is that bad when people forget every detail of the season.  Is it up to the standard he has set? No.  Is he playing like the highest paid player should? Again, no.  I just think there is a bit too much being made of the impact on legacy that this season has.  And that is coming from someone who has been very critical of Aaron this season.  

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 9:40 PM, blueswedeshoes said:

IMO David Whitehurst was the least terrible of our not good quarterbacks, and for a fact he was the last Green Bay quarterback to be older than me as a rookie. 

I had a crush on him back in the day.  But we did have a litany of pedestrian QBs back then.   :/