Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

So you just made a statement that says it's impossible to determine a GOAT. 

I would never label anyone the GOAT because there are always better players coming in down the line.  Montana was declared the GOAT until Brady started to win all those rings.  Another young man will come in (and he might already be on an NFL roster) and will be considered the "next" GOAT.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

So you just made a statement that says it's impossible to determine a GOAT. 

It is impossible to establish a definitive GOAT. For my money Jonathan Ogden is the greatest football player of all time. I think KAJ and LBJ are both greater ball players than  MJ. Society will never come to a consensus. Too much gray area.

In the scope of the GOAT conversation in the NFL, we typically limit ourselves to discussing QBs though. 

Short of dying and strolling over and asking Jesus his opinion, you're not going to get a hard and fast answer on this topic. 

All you can do is compile up the case for each guy and make your points. For these QBs you're talking about massive massive files that need to be compared. This season is only a smallish piece of Rodgers' case, but it is something that you can hit on when cross examining.

52 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It is impossible to establish a definitive GOAT. For my money Jonathan Ogden is the greatest football player of all time. I think KAJ and LBJ are both greater ball players than  MJ. Society will never come to a consensus. Too much gray area.

In the scope of the GOAT conversation in the NFL, we typically limit ourselves to discussing QBs though. 

Short of dying and strolling over and asking Jesus his opinion, you're not going to get a hard and fast answer on this topic. 

All you can do is compile up the case for each guy and make your points. For these QBs you're talking about massive massive files that need to be compared. This season is only a smallish piece of Rodgers' case, but it is something that you can hit on when cross examining.

Jesus would say either Tim Tebow or Kurt Warner.

I see no utility in discussing the GOAT topic in any sport, and I would more or less put those who do into two groups:

1. Fans that are insecure about the legacy of their favorite player, and who lack critical thinking skills

2. Pundits and writers that intentionally stir/trigger aforementioned fans to get clicks on their sites

Until some credible source creates universally accepted standards/criteria by which a GOAT is to be evaluated, ranked, and crowned, there's just no point in having this discussion.  And since most rational folks understand the folly of creating such standards, it's highly doubtful any "credible" source would ever touch this, if they truly value their reputation.

Sorry if this triggers anyone, but the topic of GOAT is at the very bottom of my list of concerns.

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I see no utility in discussing the GOAT topic in any sport, and I would more or less put those who do into two groups:

1. Fans that are insecure about the legacy of their favorite player, and who lack critical thinking skills

2. Pundits and writers that intentionally stir/trigger aforementioned fans to get clicks on their sites

Until some credible source creates universally accepted standards/criteria by which a GOAT is to be evaluated, ranked, and crowned, there's just no point in having this discussion.  And since most rational folks understand the folly of creating such standards, it's highly doubtful any "credible" source would ever touch this, if they truly value their reputation.

Sorry if this triggers anyone, but the topic of GOAT is at the very bottom of my list of concerns.

Yet you found the time to write a paragraph about it.  Why apologize when your intent was to trigger someone?  GOAT talk has been around since before the internet and sports forums. and will be around for as long as there is sport.  It has nothing to do with insecurity.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eyecatcher said:

Yet you found the time to write a paragraph about it.  Why apologize when your intent was to trigger someone?  GOAT talk has been around since before the internet and sports forums. and will be around for as long as there is sport.  It has nothing to do with insecurity.  

It has everything to do with insecurity, and why most of the fans who see fit to pound their chests about this live in colonial states.  You're right - no need to apologize to fans who want to engage in this useless debate.

25 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

It has everything to do with insecurity, and why most of the fans who see fit to pound their chests about this live in colonial states.  You're right - no need to apologize to fans who want to engage in this useless debate.

As opposed to all the other highly utilitarian debates that focus on sports?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How is it any more less relevant in your day to day life than a conversation about who will be MVP this year? Or even whether a player/team is even good?

It's not, and I've not claimed that it was, LOL.  Just my opinion that it's a waste of time, and I've explained why.  What's left to debate? 

The GOAT argument is here for us apes to decide which of these guys would be the most useful in being the lead hunter to follow. Because if you can throw a football accurate and hard enough and you can run fast that obviously lends itself to being a more skilled hunter. Very primal conversation. Very important stuff.

I feel like GOAT is a fun conversation to have.  

Here's one...Brady is near the top of every GOAT list, right?

How about best quarterback?  Does that skew anything?  Does Johnny U enter in?

I only ask because of this...I've never been a huge Brady fan.  He's solid in every facet of the game.  But...he's never moved well.  He slides and buys time, yes, but he doesn't move great.  Arm isn't the strongest.  

I'm just curious if you can uncouple the GOAT conversation from the best QB conversation. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

I feel like GOAT is a fun conversation to have.  

Here's one...Brady is near the top of every GOAT list, right?

How about best quarterback?  Does that skew anything?  Does Johnny U enter in?

I only ask because of this...I've never been a huge Brady fan.  He's solid in every facet of the game.  But...he's never moved well.  He slides and buys time, yes, but he doesn't move great.  Arm isn't the strongest.  

I'm just curious if you can uncouple the GOAT conversation from the best QB conversation. 

Brady isn't GOAT, he's been on/with a GOAT team/regime/Coach. 

Look at the points the Patriots have allowed in Brady's postseason wins and tell me 10% of NFL starting quarterbacks over the years couldn't get wins. 

Put Rodgers/Brees/Manning/ any above average QB on those teams and they're winning Super Bowls, too.