Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This was a business arrangement. He got to be an extra, Game Of Thrones got to talk about how he was in it and try and steal more eyes.

Thats not remotely accurate. GOT built up a huge audience over the course of years - none of which had AR's input or participation.
I dont know the numbers on the final episode yet, but the week preceding has over 43 million viewers and if they exceeded that on the final episode it wasnt because AR was going to be in it somewhere. People are still debating when and where he appeared...trying to find it. They didnt need or "sell" AR at all.

Edited by Leader

49 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Rodgers wants to know as much of the offense as possible, as well, before the six-week break before training camp. 

“It took three years for the West Coast Offense,” Rodgers said. “I think it’s probably a lot quicker learning curve having played 11 seasons as the starter, but kind of personally I’d like to feel really good about it by the end of minicamp leaving here in June and feel good coming back in training camp and being able to spit plays out formationally with motions and concepts quickly and understand all the checks and intricacies of the offense. That’s kind of the expectation.”

It'd be great if there were a few plays written in Dothraki. "Zhani e Zhor" would be the "Spear to the heart" play if the Dothraki/English online translator can be trusted.

As long as Aaron is starting from scratch let him get his khalasar on.

Edited by blueswedeshoes

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats not remotely accurate. GOT built up a huge audience over the course of years - none of which had AR's input or participation.
I dont know the numbers on the final episode yet, but the week preceding has over 43 million viewers and if they exceeded that on the final episode it wasnt because AR was going to be in it somewhere. People are still debating when and where he appeared...trying to find it. They didnt need or "sell" AR at all.

Didn't need it, but didn't hurt. Even if you pull 10k more viewers, because he's in it, that's not nothing.

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Didn't need it, but didn't hurt. Even if you pull 10k more viewers, because he's in it, that's not nothing.

Understood - but I think you're characterizing HBO's revenue stream wrong.

Its not ad based. They dont have commercials. They're a subscription based profit center. It's not "free TV"

So - accepting your theory - they put AR in there in the hope that more people would subscribe.
In which case, you'd think they'd give him a second or two more of actual screen time no? I mean - if they wanted the extra cash this could derive, wouldnt they have given those patrons some return on their money....by giving AR some screen time they could actually recognize?

ARs performance on GOT resembled those drawings you played with as a child. Somewhere in an intricate drawing you had to find the umbrella.
So you knew there was an umbrella in there somewhere (cause they told you so...) but you just couldnt find the damn thing! :)

HBO didnt need any "AR money" (so to speak). It already had a huge built in audience and those people were watching.

Edited by Leader

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood - but I think you're characterizing HBO's revenue stream wrong.

Its not ad based. They dont have commercials. They're a subscription based profit center. It's not "free TV"

So - accepting your theory - they put AR in there in the hope that more people would subscribe.
In which case, you'd think they'd give him a second or two more of actual screen time no? I mean - if they wanted the extra cash this could derive, wouldnt they have given those patrons some return on their money....by giving AR some screen time they could actually recognize?

ARs performance on GOT resembled those drawings you played with as a child. Somewhere in an intricate drawing you had to find the umbrella.
So you knew there was an umbrella in there somewhere (cause they told you so...) but you just couldnt find the damn thing! :)

HBO didnt need any "AR money" (so to speak). It already had a huge built in audience and those people were watching.

Duh HBO is subscription based. But we're also talking about the most pirated show ever and one that's doing very well in it's ancillary revenue streams. If viewers didn't matter for the show, they would be reporting subscription numbers, not viewers.

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Duh HBO is subscription based. But we're also talking about the most pirated show ever and one that's doing very well in it's ancillary revenue streams. If viewers didn't matter for the show, they would be reporting subscription numbers, not viewers.

Still doesnt address the thrust of my comment.

If they were pushing some "Come see AR on the final episode of GOT" angle - which in fact they werent - the only notifications of it came from social media outlets - not HBO - they would have given him discernible air time - which they didnt.

Things have been getting pirated since Napster and the primary b**** of Napster and pirated material is the source artist/creator doesnt realize any cash. So I fail to see how your "the most pirated show ever" winds up putting cash in HBOs pocket.

Edited by Leader

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

Still doesnt address the thrust of my comment.

If they were pushing some "Come see AR on the final episode of GOT" angle - which in fact they werent - the only notifications of it came from social media outlets - not HBO - they would have given him discernible air time - which they didnt.

Things have been getting pirated since Napster and the primary b**** of Napster and pirated material is the source artist/creator doesnt realize any cash. So I fail to see how your "the most pirated show ever" winds up putting cash in HBOs pocket.

Step 1. HBO let's it be known that Rodgers is in the episode.

Step 2. People who otherwise wouldn't be, are curious about Aaron in the show.

Step 3. People who otherwise wouldn't pirate the episode, do so.

Step 4. People who pirated the episode enjoy it and buy the Blu-Ray box set or some Ghost plush toy.

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Step 1. HBO let's it be known that Rodgers is in the episode.

Step 2. People who otherwise wouldn't be, are curious about Aaron in the show.

Step 3. People who otherwise wouldn't pirate the episode, do so.

Step 4. People who pirated the episode enjoy it and buy the Blu-Ray box set or some Ghost plush toy.

Okay - but I dont recommend you apply for any business development positions with HBO cause your plan to turn social media pirates into revenue producing customers is too convoluted, complicated and contradictory to believe. I think the obligatory "We'll let you know....." is the best you would receive.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay - but I dont recommend you apply for any business development positions with HBO cause your plan to turn social media pirates into revenue producing customers is too convoluted, complicated and contradictory to believe. I think the obligatory "We'll let you know....." is the best you would receive.

Huh? It isn't that far fetched that with how popular Aaron is, him being in the show *could* help increase their viewership. I think that's what AG20 is saying.

You don't think that was the case?

5 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Huh? It isn't that far fetched that with how popular Aaron is, him being in the show *could* help increase their viewership. I think that's what AG20 is saying.
You don't think that was the case?

Already detailed all of this already and no - dont think he was necessary or planned to increase viewship at all. It was already going to be a massive audience - and again - ARs "part" in the episode consisted of:

I think that archer is him.......kinda...maybe?
No, I think it might be that soldier holding up his sword.......
No, thats not it either......you see that horse that just raced across the screen? I think I saw the rider and it looked like AR.

Hardly the results of an integrated marketing plan IMO.

Additionally let me make this point.......

GOT got to be GOT from years of arduous work by hundreds of people.

The audience size for the last episode was the result of their efforts - which had *nothing* to do with AR. Nothing. So - in a very real way its a massive affront to all the actors/actresses in the ensemble - who'd worked for years building up that audience - to get "gimmicky" with the last episode. Its highly unprofessional IMO - and - totally unnecessary.

Edited by Leader

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Not as much as how he wanted it to end. 

It did suck (not how it ended, but how they took zero time for development and plotting the way they would have done if GRRM had given them material to work with), but if I was given the once in a lifetime opportunity of having a cameo in a TV episode, I'd keep my negative opinions to myself. 

Obviously I'm not seriously using this as evidence against Aaron's character, it's just that's the type of thing I hate.  It reminds me of a kid I was forced to hangout with growing up.  He came over to my house, refused to leave, invited himself for dinner and then complained about dinner.  He also stole my crouton once when I explicitly told him that he could not have my crouton.  Took it right out of my salad at Red Lobster.  I definitely see Aaron Rodgers as the type who would steal a Red Lobster crouton after being told specifically no. 

The way it ended sucked.

This is such a dumb thing to extrapolate insights into the character of a person. I sincerely hope you realize what people would think about you if you were given the same platform.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Already detailed all of this already and no - dont think he was necessary or planned to increase viewship at all. It was already going to be a massive audience - and again - ARs "part" in the episode consisted of:

I think that archer is him.......kinda...maybe?
No, I think it might be that soldier holding up his sword.......
No, thats not it either......you see that horse that just raced across the screen? I think I saw the rider and it looked like AR.

Hardly the results of an integrated marketing plan IMO.

...I guess.

But assuming that having one of the world's most popular athletes, from one of the world's most popular sports, in (arguably) the world's most popular TV show for a non-business related reason is a weird hill to die on. 

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

...I guess.

But assuming that having one of the world's most popular athletes, from one of the world's most popular sports, in (arguably) the world's most popular TV show for a non-business related reason is a weird hill to die on. 

Thats why I'm not dying.

And I'd added the following to the comment you'd quoted:

The audience size for the last episode was the result of their efforts - which had *nothing* to do with AR. Nothing. So - in a very real way its a massive affront to all the actors/actresses in the ensemble - who'd worked for years building up that audience - to get "gimmicky" with the last episode. Its highly unprofessional IMO - and - totally unnecessary.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats why I'm not dying.

And I'd added the following to the comment you'd quoted:

Oh, I agree, and I'm not discounting anything from them. It's just that there have been plenty of celebrity cameos in the show. You don't think they held auditions for Ed Sheeran's character do you? No, they wrote him in to an episode because Maisie Williams is a big fan of his. 

The dude from It's Always Sunny? Sure, why not.

Chris Stapleton? Throw him in there.

I think the point is, why not put these guys in there so they can mention it somewhere and gain some new fans from it?

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ironically, the "Low hanging fruit" approach was taught in the second week of my MBA Program. 

AKA there's no reason to not do something that could potentially have tangible results (even small ones) when the opportunity cost is nothing. 

Nobody is saying that Rodgers drew significant numbers to the show, but all it took to get him there is a conversation with his agent.

• Like 1