Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/25/more-td-passes-could-power-major-aaron-rodgers-comeback-in-2019/

As noted by C.D. Carter of SI.com, Rodgers threw touchdown passes on only 4.2 percent of his attempts in 2018, the worst mark of his career as a starting quarterback (by far) and over two points lower than his average between 2008 and 2017.

For the first 10 years as a starter, Rodgers threw touchdown passes on 6.5 percent of his attempts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/24/fantasy-football-quarterbacks-touchdown-rate-aaron-rodgers-matthew-stafford

Everything else was in line for Rodgers in 2018: his interception rate (0.3%) remained microscopic, his completion rate (62.5%) stayed steady, and his adjusted yards per pass attempt (8.1) was just 0.3 under his career AY/A. There’s nothing to indicate Rodgers, who enjoys “dad runner” jokes, has fallen off the proverbial cliff. The guy, after all, has posted a touchdown rate of 5.9% five times over his 10 full seasons as Green Bay’s starter. 

21 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/25/more-td-passes-could-power-major-aaron-rodgers-comeback-in-2019/

As noted by C.D. Carter of SI.com, Rodgers threw touchdown passes on only 4.2 percent of his attempts in 2018, the worst mark of his career as a starting quarterback (by far) and over two points lower than his average between 2008 and 2017.

For the first 10 years as a starter, Rodgers threw touchdown passes on 6.5 percent of his attempts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/24/fantasy-football-quarterbacks-touchdown-rate-aaron-rodgers-matthew-stafford

Everything else was in line for Rodgers in 2018: his interception rate (0.3%) remained microscopic, his completion rate (62.5%) stayed steady, and his adjusted yards per pass attempt (8.1) was just 0.3 under his career AY/A. There’s nothing to indicate Rodgers, who enjoys “dad runner” jokes, has fallen off the proverbial cliff. The guy, after all, has posted a touchdown rate of 5.9% five times over his 10 full seasons as Green Bay’s starter. 

...let's just call that the Jordy Nelson effect.  And I'm being serious.  It looked like Aaron went through a horrific breakup and his buddies made him go out to the clubs for 16 weeks and he just wasn't ready to meet anyone.

• Like 1

Jack Baer from Yahoo sports has an article up quoting Carl Lawson from the Bengals. Carl collected two and a half sacks against Rodgers in their last matchup, prompting him to remark that playing against Rodgers is easy because he “just sits there”.

Since Bulaga and Bakhtiari were both out for that game, let’s just call the article clickbait and move on. 

• Like 1

How did I know everyone would make fun of Lawson for that and dismiss it instead of accept that it's true? 

Aaron Rodgers literally is the easiest of the greats to sack.  If you don't see that him holding onto the ball too long is an issue, you've got Rodgers blinders on. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-time-to-throw

2018 he too
2016 he was 6th longest to throw. 

People wonder why Brady and Brees are able to play this long when they takes 2.6 seconds to pass.  If Rodgers keeps hanging onto the ball for 2.87 seconds like he did in 2016 or an absurd 2.95 seconds like he did last year, we won't have him at 40. 

Peyton Manning sets the precedent, McDaniels changes Brady to mimic it (and completely turn Brady's career around), Brees adopts it in old age and all three have wild success with it.  Rodgers is like, "Lol, look at me, I can dance back here and have highlight reel plays at the expense of way too many bad sacks that I'm partly and probably mostly to blame for."

And everyone says, "Lol, who is Carl Lawson?" like half this board didn't desperately want us to draft him last year. 

• Like 2

Agree, outpost. Refusal to throw to running backs. Refusal to run the ball. Refusal to throw quick passes. 

Rodgers has his low interception records and his highlight reel plays. Even though it looks good on the stat sheet, it’s causing a lot of hits and it’s causing a lot of losses too because our offense is underperforming. 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

How did I know everyone would make fun of Lawson for that and dismiss it instead of accept that it's true? 

Aaron Rodgers literally is the easiest of the greats to sack.  If you don't see that him holding onto the ball too long is an issue, you've got Rodgers blinders on. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2016/all#average-time-to-throw

2018 he too
2016 he was 6th longest to throw. 

People wonder why Brady and Brees are able to play this long when they takes 2.6 seconds to pass.  If Rodgers keeps hanging onto the ball for 2.87 seconds like he did in 2016 or an absurd 2.95 seconds like he did last year, we won't have him at 40. 

Peyton Manning sets the precedent, McDaniels changes Brady to mimic it (and completely turn Brady's career around), Brees adopts it in old age and all three have wild success with it.  Rodgers is like, "Lol, look at me, I can dance back here and have highlight reel plays at the expense of way too many bad sacks that I'm partly and probably mostly to blame for."

And everyone says, "Lol, who is Carl Lawson?" like half this board didn't desperately want us to draft him last year. 

What was Favre's stats in here like? Wonder how MM/Scheme played into it.

Anecdotally, it seems like 12's backups got sacked a lot too when he was out of the game.

Not trying to put it all on MM and co, but I think a lot more can be considered here.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Anecdotally, it seems like 12's backups got sacked a lot too when he was out of the game.

Not trying to put it all on MM and co, but I think a lot more can be considered here.

When someone as good as Rodgers frequently fails to pass to open receivers in game crucial moments, I don't care who the head coach is.  It's on Rodgers.

You will never in your lifetime see a head coach who tells his QB to pass on open receivers when your team desperately needs to sustain a drive offensively. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Getting sacked a lot is kinda what backups do. They're slower to process from a lack of snaps and generally don't have the prep time that the starter does.

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ok... and Favre? He wasn’t a backup and I’m genuinely curious.

In 2007 Favre was sacked 15 times, second fewest in his career. 

In 2006 Favre was sacked 21 times, fourth fewest in his career. 

those were his two years under McCarthy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Damn

Yeah Favre took a fair amount of sacks early, but after 2001 he never took 30 sacks in a season in GB. He also never had more than 40 sacks in a season, which Rodgers has done 4 times (plus his two half-seasons combine for 43 sacks in 16 games). I don't think the Rodgers sacks thing is as big of a deal as some do but there's no doubt that Rodgers takes more sacks than Favre did.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Interesting. So sacks are to Rodgers, as INTs are to Favre. 

I know which I'd take.

20 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Yeah Favre took a fair amount of sacks early, but after 2001 he never took 30 sacks in a season in GB. He also never had more than 40 sacks in a season, which Rodgers has done 4 times (plus his two half-seasons combine for 43 sacks in 16 games). I don't think the Rodgers sacks thing is as big of a deal as some do but there's no doubt that Rodgers takes more sacks than Favre did.

I might look this up later but I believe I read that across the league, a sequence (1st through 4th down) featuring a sack ended the drive on something like 80 percent of drives. Admittedly I think 1/3 sequences end drives regardless of sacks, and something like 45% of sacks happen on 3rd down, but still.