Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

Something like this doesn't develop overnight. Rodgers has proved he is willing to change when he entered the league and changed his delivery. If that coach/player relationship deteriorated to the point where Rodgers wouldn't listen to MM, then once again that falls on both the player and the coach.

So Bill Belichick is to blame for Julian Edleman's PED suspension, Hernandez's murder.  Every head coach Odell Beckham has had should be blamed for his behavior? 

You act like it's a simple matter of McCarthy telling Rodgers to throw more often to backs as if that's easy.  What are you going to do, bench Aaron Rodgers? 

It's like that line in I think Usual Suspects and shooting the devil... What if you miss?  More aptly, what are you going to do if the devil doesn't listen to you? 

Why am I the only one who doesn't think it's surprising that LaFleur has stated the importance of throwing to running backs? 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

This is learned behavior from Rodgers.

Running backs in Aaron's first year:

Grant - 18 receptions, Jackson - 30 receptions,

Aaron's second year:

Grant - 25 receptions, Jackson - 21 receptions

Aaron's third year:

Jackson - 43 receptions

2011:

Grant had 19 receptions for 268 yards.  Starks had 29 receptions for 216 yards.

Is it any wonder that Aaron's best year is the year he threw to running backs most often? 

I'm not disputing any of this. I agree completely that Rodgers game is lacking in this area. I just think it's a bad habit that he can be coached out of. Im not saying it will be easy or that it should be necessary for someone of Rodgers skill, but it was still MM's job. He was hired to coach the team. Rodgers is a part of that team.

Just now, Shanedorf said:

from that same sackskilldrives website, on the very next page

http://settingedge.com/fourvertsfuture

Why NFL Teams Should Go Deep More Often: EPA Passing Strategy

Now that we have information on the overall value of deep and short passes and how down, distance, and field position affects that value, what does any of this mean for actual strategy in the NFL?

The first obvious conclusion is that teams should be throwing deep much more often than they currently are. Despite holding roughly twice as much value per play, deep passes are attempted less than a quarter as often as short passes.  If you limit the sample to 1st Down only then deep passes hold 95 times the value per play of short passes according to EPA/Attempt, yet are still attempted less than a quarter as often.  To put it simply: that’s absurd.

You realize what's wrong with this, right? 

You could be the Flacco era Ravens and have no offense going solely this route.  You could also be the post-2015 Packers and have no offense at all EXCEPT for your successful deep attempts. 

Deep attempts are as successful as you set them up to be. 

I'm not disputing any of this. I agree completely that Rodgers game is lacking in this area. I just think it's a bad habit that he can be coached out of. Im not saying it will be easy or that it should be necessary for someone of Rodgers skill, but it was still MM's job. He was hired to coach the team. Rodgers is a part of that team.

This is like victim blaming.  Or, I don't know, something blaming.  Something other than the culprit blaming. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

So Bill Belichick is to blame for Julian Edleman's PED suspension, Hernandez's murder.  Every head coach Odell Beckham has had should be blamed for his behavior? 

You act like it's a simple matter of McCarthy telling Rodgers to throw more often to backs as if that's easy.  What are you going to do, bench Aaron Rodgers? 

It's like that line in I think Usual Suspects and shooting the devil... What if you miss?  More aptly, what are you going to do if the devil doesn't listen to you? 

Why am I the only one who doesn't think it's surprising that LaFleur has stated the importance of throwing to running backs? 

Stop it. You are talking about situations that happened away from football. I am talking about  situations that happen on the field, between the hash marks where coaches are paid to do a job.  You are a very tough person o have a conversation with because you try to sensationalize everything. We are talking about telling a QB to throw to RBs and you correlate it to Murder. As I said in my previous post.

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

Im not saying it will be easy or that it should be necessary for someone of Rodgers skill, but it was still MM's job. He was hired to coach the team. Rodgers is a part of that team.

I get that Rodgers deserves blame and you are by no means the only one not surprised by LaFleurs focus on throwing to RBs/ MANY people have already posted about this and were happy to see it finally being said.

And MM is still fired and without a job. So even if he did shoot the devil and miss, how would he be in any different situation?

No one said coaching in the NFL is easy.

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is like victim blaming.  Or, I don't know, something blaming.  Something other than the culprit blaming. 

No, its called holding the leaders of your organization responsible. Why do you keep implying that I'm not holding Rodgers just as accountable if not more? I said numerous times Rodgers is at fault.

Stop it. You are talking about situations that happened away from football. I am talking about  situations that happen on the field, between the hash marks where coaches are paid to do a job.  You are a very tough person o have a conversation with because you try to sensationalize everything. We are talking about telling a QB to throw to RBs and you correlate it to Murder. As I said in my previous post.

I get that Rodgers deserves blame and you are by no means the only one not surprised by LaFleurs focus on throwing to RBs/ MANY people have already posted about this and were happy to see it finally being said.

And MM is still fired and without a job. So even if he did shoot the devil and miss, how would he be in any different situation?

No one said coaching in the NFL is easy.

The point was coaching personality.  You can't do it.  A person is who they are and cannot be changed as far as who they are. 

Aaron Rodgers is a very vain and stubborn person obsessed with how he is perceived.  Thus, McCarthy cannot be blamed for Rodgers not doing things that make him look inferior to how he sees himself. 

No, its called holding the leaders of your organization responsible. Why do you keep implying that I'm not holding Rodgers just as accountable if not more? I said numerous times Rodgers is at fault.

It's this silly attempt to put some of the blame on McCarthy. 

You can put all the instructions you want on a machine and there will still be people who don't use it correctly.  Blaming McCarthy even a tiny amount on Rodgers and his habits is like blaming the instruction manual of a machine. 

Went digging through PFR and found some numbers that I’m not 100% sure what to make of:

Rodgers sack breakdowns by down: 

Rodgers /// League-wide

2009-2014:

1: 36.8% /// 30.8%

2: 27.5% /// 28.7%

3: 34.4% /// 38.7%

4: 1.2% /// 1.9%

2015-2018:

1: 24.3% /// 29.2%

2: 23.7% /// 27.5%

3: 50% /// 41.7%

4: 1.7% /// 1.6%

not sure that’s what I would have expected. Rodgers’ sacks were tilted to early downs during his prime and late downs during his more recent, “slump” years.

Spin away

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

The point was coaching personality.  You can't do it.  A person is who they are and cannot be changed as far as who they are. 

Aaron Rodgers is a very vain and stubborn person obsessed with how he is perceived.  Thus, McCarthy cannot be blamed for Rodgers not doing things that make him look inferior to how he sees himself. 

You come across as someone who has never had to lead before.

It is amazing how similar you are to Rodgers personality wise.

57 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Since other teams knew his scheme tendencies fairly well, the gaps get smaller and close faster, so the thrower needs high confidence in the receiver if he has to throw to a spot before the receiver makes his cut. the  The old saying about you playbook "If you aren't going forward you are going backwards", applies here. You must continue to evolve it enough to keep opposing teams uncertain of what is coming.

This isn't even true.  How much do you think the Saints or Patriots schemes have changed over the years? 

Since players currently in the NFL have said so, about the Packers scheme, not to mention the mentions about this from the media talking heads. You are flying against many peoples opinion...........which doesn't make you wrong, but it does seem to make you an outlier to the majority opinion.

Just now, boratt said:

Now we find out if it was player or coach. If Lafleur can’t get him to take advantage of the running backs and get rid of the ball quicker, then it’s AR and not McCarthy. 

WOW.....That's what you got from this discussion?

Even if Rodgers does change, that in no way shape or form takes blame off of him. A coach and player relationship is like all relationships. A 2 way street.

You come across as someone who has never had to lead before.

I ooze charm and charisma and leadership.  I literally needed a prescription to cut down on my charm levels and I had to have surgery for the charisma that dripped out of my ears.

As far as leadership, I'd love to "gotcha" right now, but...  I won't.  I would, however, like to remind you that this is an internet forum where I have fun doing exactly what you accused me of doing (sensationalizing everything), and that who I am here is not who I am.