Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

22 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Does anyone have further thoughts about Rodgers comments this morning pertaining to him thinking he should have been consulted with about the Alex Van Pelt decision? Wasn't it ultimately AVP's decision to seek further options? 

He's miffed .. big deal .. players play coaches coach.  He also said he was excited about having Philbin back.  

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Van Pelt left on his own I thought. Declined an extension in 2017. Sounds like Van Pelt did not properly communicate to his QB.

I have a feeling McCarthy told AVP that he was going in another direction at some point.  AVP ended up making a lateral move away from GB.

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's miffed .. big deal .. players play coaches coach.  He also said he was excited about having Philbin back.  

Exactly...players play and coaches coach. So why would Rodgers need to be consulted about pertaining to a Van Pelt decision?

Edited by MaryTsraining3s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Exactly...players play and coaches coach. So why would Rodgers need to be consulted about pertaining to a Van Pelt decision?

Aaron Rodgers has more than earned a consultation on who his QB might be. Just another minor miss by the Packers brass. 

12 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Aaron Rodgers has more than earned a consultation on who his QB might be. Just another minor miss by the Packers brass. 

Man was I off base a while back thinking they might even be consulting Rodgers on the GM job. I guess I’d want more input from my all-world QB then the Packers brass does. Shows what I know. That said, it’s almost a slap in the face to not even let Rodgers in on what’s going on with his QB coach. I get it, players play blah blah. I think Rodgers, who has carried this team on his back for years while dealing with pathetic defenses, should have some say on his QB coach. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Man was I off base a while back thinking they might even be consulting Rodgers on the GM job. I guess I’d want more input from my all-world QB then the Packers brass does. Shows what I know. That said, it’s almost a slap in the face to not even let Rodgers in on what’s going on with his QB coach. I get it, players play blah blah. I think Rodgers, who has carried this team on his back for years while dealing with pathetic defenses, should have some say on his QB coach. 

That becomes a slippery slope.  Where is the line on which coach he should be consulted on?  Do other players get some say in their position coach hiring and firings?

FA, UFA, etc.  

I get that Rodgers carries the team, but he is also consuming the most cap space of any player by far.  Is that not enough compensation from the organization?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That becomes a slippery slope.  Where is the line on which coach he should be consulted on?  Do other players get some say in their position coach hiring and firings?

FA, UFA, etc.  

I get that Rodgers carries the team, but he is also consuming the most cap space of any player by far.  Is that not enough compensation from the organization?

Yep this. I've made it clear how I feel about players' roles in personnel decisions. Glad to see he's not included.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Players shouldn’t pick their coaches. Head coaches should. Look not saying Rodgers doesn’t have the right but if the goal is about getting better.... pick the best coach. Just picking your buddy and being comfortable doesn’t equal success. Heck GB has been going with comfortable and familiar with their defense for 8+ years.

It might do Rodgers some good to hear a new voice. Plus at this point maybe they aren’t worried about coaching Aaron... maybe it’s more of a move to get better coaching for QB2 and QB3.

People wanting Rodgers to be consulted about things like this, as they talk out the other side of their mouth about the Packers being perfectly content with where they were since winning the Owl back in 2010/11. Can’t have it both ways people. They needed to make changes and they certainly have, whether he was consulted or not. 

Plus, Rodgers also seemed happy to have Philbin back and thinks the offense can get back to what it was a few years ago. 

38 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Players shouldn’t pick their coaches. Head coaches should. Look not saying Rodgers doesn’t have the right but if the goal is about getting better.... pick the best coach. Just picking your buddy and being comfortable doesn’t equal success. Heck GB has been going with comfortable and familiar with their defense for 8+ years.

It might do Rodgers some good to hear a new voice. Plus at this point maybe they aren’t worried about coaching Aaron... maybe it’s more of a move to get better coaching for QB2 and QB3.

It’s definitely more about needing superior coaching for the backups. Hundley was ******* terrible for the most part. We got to experience for about half a season what it’s like to be a Browns fan dealing with **** QB’s. Never again please. 

I'm not saying let Rodgers pick his QB coach, but at least make a phone call and say hey, this is the direction we are going in, what do you think? I don't think that's to much to ask for a guy that, considering the state of our team without him, literally carried the team for years. 

9 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I'm not saying let Rodgers pick his QB coach, but at least make a phone call and say hey, this is the direction we are going in, what do you think? I don't think that's to much to ask for a guy that, considering the state of our team without him, literally carried the team for years. 

I think you've mischaracterized events. The GBPs didnt "move on" as noted - Van Pelt had advised the team over a year ago that he would be moving on once his current contract expired. Wanted to pursue other opportunities. Wanted to go camping. Wanted to travel the world......whichever. Who cares. He wanted to leave.

So - lets flip the scenario and put some "onus" on Van Pelt and SOMETIME after he tells the team he'll be moving on he says: 

"Hey Aaron....lets go grab a beer after practice" (At the bar....) "I'm gonna be leaving the team once my contract ends at the end of 2017......"

And they have a long discussion about life, love and football, camping and/or traveling. Who knows.

Ask me - that sounds like a logical conversation - but apparently, Van Pelt chose not to have it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I do agree with this. Make him feel involved. But then you have the other side of the spectrum, where what if Rodgers give his opinion and the team decides to go the completely opposite direction. Then Rodgers is pissed off because the organization didn't listen to his opinion. 

• Like 1