Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Been thinking about this....Aaron Rodgers.

Let's think about Rodgers last year.  (Put his old God-like self on the shelf for the moment.)

Offensively speaking. 2019.  

New system, new coach.  (Not to mention 2 new faces on the OL)

Jones had 1,084 yards.  16 TD rushing.

Williams had one rushing TD.  (Rodgers got another one himself, rushing.)

Let's just say, 17 rushing TD's.

Rodgers had 62% completion %, 4002 yards.  26 TD's.  4 Int.

Would we be looking at him in a different light, if he had more passes in the red zone and Jones doesn't get 16 TDs?  What if Jones has 8 TD's, and we flip the other 8 to Rodgers passes?

62%, 4000+ yards.  34 TD's, 4 INT.

I think we all know that the % could be better, but dang, those would have been some IMPRESSIVE passing stats.

I'm looking at 2011 now.  Picked that because it was the year after the Super Bowl and I think we all can agree, we were pretty stacked on offense.

Grant/Starks combined for 3 TD's.  (1137 yards combined)  Kuhn added in another 4.  Call it 7 total.

Rodgers was God-like (off of the shelf).  68.3 completion %.  4643 yards.  45 TD's.  6 Int.  (Wow)

If I arbitrarily subtract 8 TD's and give them to running backs, that's  68.3%, 4,653+ yards. 37 TD's, 6 Int.

Now we are eerie similar.

Maybe it isn't a clear Rodgers regression as it is the incorporation of the MLF scheme?  Maybe there is even more hope for him in year 2 of the offense.

Except Rodgers sucked in the redzone. Rodgers had an additional (I'm going to say off the top of my head 5) 5ish TD passes on the redzone from pop passes alone. Those are receiving TDs that are really rushing TDs. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's super average if you limit the sample size to redzone production. 

Yep.  Tied with 6 others for 9th in the league last year.

9 other quarterbacks had 2 or more touchdowns in the red zone.  None of the had more interceptions.

But don’t tell @Siman08/OH or anyone else who lacks context.

16/2 is otherworldly to them.  Also don’t tell them a 5th or 6th round Gardner Minsnew had 16 touchdowns and only 1 interception in his rookie year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/redzone-passing.htm

Edited by Outpost31

15 hours ago, Siman08/OH said:

16 TDs and 2 ints and we need to get rid of this scrub QB.

Lol.

Packers fans are spoiled rich kids.

My all-time favourite dig on GB was "Entitled Town."

That said, Rodgers hasn't been a world-destroying force for some time now. He ALWAYS was a bit too willing to take a sack from when he first became the starter, but he played at such a high level that was like complaining about the colour of the dash lights on your Ferrari. Now that his level of play has gone from "otherworldly" to more along the lines of "average" (his int % remains phenomenal, but every other metric shows him in the middle...or sometimes near the lowish end....of the pack), the sacks and missed plays become more of a problem.  

Edited by Mr Bad Example

I totally get the fact that Rodgers is averageish in the red zone.  Very much get it and understand it.

If playing my "arbitrary" game....what if he manages 4 more TD's there next year while taking 4 TD's away from Jones?  That is not outside the realm of possibility.

That little change happens and those numbers look considerably better.  And that change could come from MLF coming up with new red zone passing plays.  Or one of our young WR's steps up, or a combination of both.

Guess I still feel like Rodgers is not that far away from having elite stats.  Probably 4 well designed pick plays should do it. (tongue somewhat in cheek)

Stats.  Still the elephant in the room is his on field body language.  But if he's throwing a few more TD's, my guess is that he's gonna be a happier camper on the field.

At least that is my hope.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

See we got the Rodgers downers back in here, time to get the thread back where it belongs.

Rodgers sips tequila now as well as scotch. I appreciate that.

Betcha he drinks the good bourbon, too!

...and maybe he worked on his beer chugging game this offseason.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 8:58 AM, Packerraymond said:

See we got the Rodgers downers back in here, time to get the thread back where it belongs.

It’s not being down on Rodgers to rate him accurately.  

On 7/31/2020 at 6:58 AM, Packerraymond said:

He doesn't have to watch cars make left turns for hours anymore.