Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Extremely regular. Thank God, McAfee doesn't let him talk much.

Ty Schmit is his name, and I don't mind him. I guess he won me over during the draft special with his "Mad Mel" and Lou Holtz impressions. To each their own though. Love Aarons segments though.

I legitimately now believe we should trade Jordan Love.

Let him get some playing time in week 17 when we’ve locked up the first round bye.  Give teams a good glimpse of him in action.

Have Aaron restructure to keep him until he’s 40.  Trade Love for a top 10 pick.  Get a top 10 DL, DB or OT.

Take another 20-32 QB two years from now.

Aaron has been showing he can adapt to aging and play well in LaFleur’s system.

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Let him get some playing time in week 17 when we’ve locked up the first round bye.  Give teams a good glimpse of him in action.

Have Aaron restructure to keep him until he’s 40.  Trade Love for a top 10 pick.  Get a top 10 DL, DB or OT.

I liked it when the Packers drafted Love.  Last year Rodgers wasn't buying into the new system, didn't throw the ball and made decisions that were expected.  Different story this year and a number of factors could be the reason .. don't really care why ... he looks great.    I wouldn't mind trading Love for a top 10 pick but not sure he'd bring anywhere near that high of pick.  Possible, yes ... improbable ... yes.

• Like 1

Brett Favre had a pretty good year 2 under McCarthy also, but moving on from the aging QB was certainly the right call.

I would be peeved if we didn't keep love at least next year and the year after to see how he develops before that decision. He is on a 5 year deal. It would be silly to throw away that lottery ticket before seeing if it might payoff.

Also no one is going to give a top 10 pick for a guy who went late 1st and has done nothing. That part is absolutely ridiculous hyperbole.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Love’s value is depreciating like a new car the second you drive it off the lot. He hasn’t even played in a preseason yet.

I’m all about keeping 12 as long as possible, but Loves best value is to GB and being Rodgers successor. The hard part will be keeping him around until 12’a time is over. I think 3 years is the max there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'd stick to the plan with Love.  Let him develop this year, and then play in preseason games next year.  If he shows he's got the goods his value will start to increase and he can be the #2 qb in 2021.  Hopefully Rodgers will remain healthy the next few years, but if he were to go down at some point in 2021 Love would have his shot to show the Packers and league what he's got to offer.  Now if someone gets stupid and offers up a top 10 pick for Love this offseason then you take it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Didn’t everyone say this exact same thing when they drafted Rodgers?

Sit with the plan and don’t flinch not even a year into the plan. It was always discussed by Gute and LaFleur that Rodgers will be he for awhile (meaning the next 3-4 years, his contract).

Green Bay has a backup that has potential for no great drop off if something happens to Rodgers for those years and the QB of the future all in one.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Didn’t everyone say this exact same thing when they drafted Rodgers?

Sit with the plan and don’t flinch not even a year into the plan. It was always discussed by Gute and LaFleur that Rodgers will be he for awhile (meaning the next 3-4 years, his contract).

Green Bay has a backup that has potential for no great drop off if something happens to Rodgers for those years and the QB of the future all in one.

And we all know Rodgers has missed big parts of 2 seasons. It happens.

On 10/6/2020 at 6:34 AM, Green19 said:

I dislike his one friend that is the resident packer fan... forget his name. But he comes off very poorly (Is a jerk most episodes) and his packers takes are just... just awful.

I thought that was aj hawk

15 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd stick to the plan with Love.  Let him develop this year, and then play in preseason games next year.  If he shows he's got the goods his value will start to increase and he can be the #2 qb in 2021.  Hopefully Rodgers will remain healthy the next few years, but if he were to go down at some point in 2021 Love would have his shot to show the Packers and league what he's got to offer.  Now if someone gets stupid and offers up a top 10 pick for Love this offseason then you take it. 

That's pretty much my thinking as well. The Packers saw enough in Love to spend a first rounder on him and there needs to be a successor to AR, be it Jordan Love that we already have, or someone else taken in the next few years. I'm not sure there is anyone upcoming that is both a viable target (ie within the Packers reach) and with better potential than Love, though I admit I know nothing about 3rd/4th/5th best college QBs for the next several years. Maybe a Trey Lance type (N.Dakota St.) falls to them, who knows ? Not recommending Lance himself, as he would be a 2021 target which imo is too early to give up on Love.

I know @Outpost31 likes to post 'out there' opinions (and I enjoy reading his takes BECAUSE he is an original thinker), especially if he thinks he is the only one pushing that opinion...................................... but it wasn't many months back he was on the trade Rodgers bandwagon.

I'm sticking with the hope that we get 'good Rodgers' for all of 2020 and 2021, by which time Love should be ready for prime time if he is good enough to be the future. My 'if-it-goes-wrong scenario, is one where the Packers go QB again, maybe in the 2023 draft after Love has failed in the spotlight during the 2022 season. That scenario could mean Rodgers (assuming he stayed with the team) is with the Packers until either the end of 2023, or even 2024, when he will be 39/40 or 40/41 (his birthday is 2 Dec).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

On 10/8/2020 at 12:50 PM, Outpost31 said:

This is getting a bit silly.  You don't trade Love because Rodgers started the season well.

I hated the Love pick, its easy to be armchair GM and you have to give the picks time but I truly hated it, when we traded up it was a 'please  don't be Love' moment. But its done so you have to let it play out. Rodgers has had a lot of injuries and is pushing 37.  I defended Aaron against AG20's onslaught but have to accept it could go wrong very quickly. 

As things stand, Love is our QB3 behind Tim Boyle and doesn't look NFL ready yet.  At best you are looking at a 2nd realistically probably a 3rd or worse. 

If Love did light it up in a meaningless end of season game and someone offered us a top 10 pick then I wouldn't let them get off the phone without something in writing. But that's a lot of ifs and seems a huge stretch. More likely he would look a bit lost and any offer would be more like top 100.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:50 AM, Outpost31 said:

Do you think we can get a top 10 pick with a kid that nobody knows if he can play at this level?

On 10/8/2020 at 8:12 AM, coachbuns said:

I liked it when the Packers drafted Love.  Last year Rodgers wasn't buying into the new system, didn't throw the ball and made decisions that were expected.  Different story this year and a number of factors could be the reason .. don't really care why ... he looks great.    I wouldn't mind trading Love for a top 10 pick but not sure he'd bring anywhere near that high of pick.  Possible, yes ... improbable ... yes.

I don't know if Rodgers wasn't buying into the new system.  We have to remember AR was learning an entirely new offense for the first time since his rookie season.  Now with a year under his belt and a lot of time with MFL we are beginning to see the fruits of that labor.