Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

36 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Also, it seems like Aaron was on a run, until the last two years, where the only picks we saw were tips to defenders off of missed catches from his own receivers. It's kind of silly to quibble about that because the other QBs get those also. But it really did seem to be a thing for him in the middle of his career.

It's actually nice to see him throw a couple of interceptions this year that weren't of that nature. When you're throwing with anticipation and not waiting around for guys to get open, INTs are inevitable. It's just a cost of an offense running with an attacking nature. I'd say somewhere in the 6-8 picks range is where you should be if you've spent the year in a complete rhythm of throwing with anticipation, aggression, timing and accuracy. Unless you're Patrick Mahomes and you have elite skills to go along with a 6'8 giant at TE who separates and a bunch of 4.3 receivers who do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's actually nice to see him throw a couple of interceptions this year that weren't of that nature. When you're throwing with anticipation and not waiting around for guys to get open, INTs are inevitable. It's just a cost of an offense running with an attacking nature. I'd say somewhere in the 6-8 picks range is where you should be if you've spent the year in a complete rhythm of throwing with anticipation, aggression, timing and accuracy. Unless you're Patrick Mahomes and you have elite skills to go along with a 6'8 giant at TE who separates and a bunch of 4.3 receivers who do the same.

I agree with this. For tHe last year of MM and still getting fluent in the offense last year, his OCD risk adversity really showed and made him hesitant at times. I’m not saying it’s not part of what makes him great, but there are times when you’ve got to “Let it Fly” to steal one from the Bucks’ philosophy. 

I don’t want more picks, but I don’t want to be so hesitant that we don’t roll the dice a few more times to keep the D at the end of their nerves all game long. They need to know a dagger could happen at any point on any down and have to prepare to defend every blade of grass. If a 40+ yard pick is thrown, it’s better than some of our recent punting. 

I don’t know if he can reach 500: <100 but I hope he doesn’t get to 475:99 and start worrying about stats. Let it fly!

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

For additional reference, there are 91 QBs with at lest 150 passing TDs.

Lots of QBs that throw tds in their careers … not so many at 300 and very few at 400.  What's even more astounding is the number of interceptions thrown by Rodgers.  Thinking a number of those 91 Qbs who have thrown 150 tds have the same or more interceptions than Rodgers has with those 400 td's.

35 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Lots of QBs that throw tds in their careers … not so many at 300 and very few at 400.  What's even more astounding is the number of interceptions thrown by Rodgers.  Thinking a number of those 91 Qbs who have thrown 150 tds have the same or more interceptions than Rodgers has with those 400 td's.

Exactly.

Another reference point:

Mahomes is at 107:20 through 43 games started, so he is on pace for 75 INTs when he hits 400 TDs ha.

23 hours ago, coachbuns said:

You're kidding right?!  Not revealing?  Only 7 QB's have done that ... just 7.  Rodgers has bested them all and has room for more.  Pointless to you ... maybe; that's fine.  That being said, to me, stats are fun and a way to compare how a player "matches" up to his peers.  Rodgers and his stats are fantastic - period,

The stat that he has 50,000 yards and 400 TDs joining only six other QBs is definitely cool.  The "only one with 3000 yards rushing" is the meaningless one.  It's the statisticians saying "okay, what stat does this guy have that the others don't".  For every one of the other 6 QBs, you can find those "just as cool" distinguishing stats.  3000 yards rushing is neat, but it's in the statistic only to separate Rodgers from the other 6 not because it's impressive on its own.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I feel like I'm gonna feel dumb later, but I'm not sure who you're talking about at TE here.  Kelce's 6'5" and a big boy but definitely not a giant at TE, and I don't see anyone on their roster 6'6" or over?  I'm assuming you're just leaning on the comedical exaggerification, but I wanted to check in case maybe LeBron's been slipping out of Laker practices to hang with Kermit.

4 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I feel like I'm gonna feel dumb later, but I'm not sure who you're talking about at TE here.  Kelce's 6'5" and a big boy but definitely not a giant at TE, and I don't see anyone on their roster 6'6" or over?  I'm assuming you're just leaning on the comedical exaggerification, but I wanted to check in case maybe LeBron's been slipping out of Laker practices to hang with Kermit.

I feel like Kelce is much bigger than that when I watch him. Must be the wingspan. The guys catch radius is just massive. Apparently I'm exaggerating a lot more than I thought I was.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:17 AM, Uffdaswede said:

Also, it seems like Aaron was on a run, until the last two years, where the only picks we saw were tips to defenders off of missed catches from his own receivers. It's kind of silly to quibble about that because the other QBs get those also. But it really did seem to be a thing for him in the middle of his career.

As much as he gets crap for being "5th Down" it's so rare to see a pass from him that a defender even has a CHANCE at. 

On 12/8/2020 at 10:01 AM, Smidgeon said:

The stat that he has 50,000 yards and 400 TDs joining only six other QBs is definitely cool.  The "only one with 3000 yards rushing" is the meaningless one.  It's the statisticians saying "okay, what stat does this guy have that the others don't".  For every one of the other 6 QBs, you can find those "just as cool" distinguishing stats.  3000 yards rushing is neat, but it's in the statistic only to separate Rodgers from the other 6 not because it's impressive on its own.

Rodgers currently has 3,209 yds and 29TD on the ground. I think it’s an important aspect of his game and does set him apart from some of the other great but less mobile QBs on the list.  There will be less of it going forward but he’s still got the awareness and the wheels to pick up a 1st or run to the far corner of the EZ.

As long as we’re appreciating AR, him being able to pull it up and get the yards when needed should also be celebrated.