Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

So what are the other cutoffs that he's not competing with himself at? Mahomes, if he plays, has a chance at 40+ TD and 6 INT, Brady had a 50 TD, 8 INT season but Aaron's other 40+ TD seasons were 45/6 and 40/7 lol. As of right now, he's competing against himself on that stat.

Good point. Even more impressive.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

as much as I love DVOA, it's a snapshot. Being ranked 15th means we could have been 30th half the year and 1st half the year or15th all year. There are also trends, like a defense could start #1 and slowly decline to 30th and be 15th for the season. Luckily we have some insight from FO on this between Weighted DVOA and Variance.

2019 Packers defense finished 16th in weighted DVOA (i.e. they ended worse than they started) and had a Variance rank 26th in the league (i.e. they were rather inconsistent)

2020 Packers defense is currently 13th in weighted DVOA (i.e. they are better every week through the 2nd half of the year) and have a variance rank of 14th (about average consistency).

Additionally, GB is 7th in scoring defense over the past 3 weeks and 11th overall on the season in 2020. They are 6th in scoring defense at Home.

In 2019, GB finished 12th in scoring defense but were 22nd over the last 3 weeks and 14th on the road.

Key Takeaways:

Our 2020 defense is both better overall, trending upwards to end the season, and better at our (hopeful) home playoff site.

It's not "just" Rodgers that is different, although his improvement is definitely the biggest factor in why we are "better" this year than last IMO

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Guys, we’re the worst because I posted a take from a non Packers writer. 

Fair enough.

Counterpoint, if we're going to take Schatz' word as gospel, and not account for a significant offensive line improvement, that kills any argument that Rodgers was better than a league average QB last year. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Fair enough.

Counterpoint, if we're going to take Schatz' word as gospel, and not account for a significant offensive line improvement, that kills any argument that Rodgers was better than a league average QB last year. 

How is posting a Twitter link/ opinion from someone with some information taking someone’s word as gospel? 

Second best year of his career. Firmly behind 2011 due to the YPA difference. I actually have 2011 Aaron Rodgers as the greatest QB season of all time. This probably goes Top 20. I made a Top 50 list on this forum back in 2017, gonna have to redo it. 

Congrats to Rodgers. Phenomenal player. 

• Like 1