Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I ooze charm and charisma and leadership.  I literally needed a prescription to cut down on my charm levels and I had to have surgery for the charisma that dripped out of my ears.

As far as leadership, I'd love to "gotcha" right now, but...  I won't.  I would, however, like to remind you that this is an internet forum where I have fun doing exactly what you accused me of doing (sensationalizing everything), and that who I am here is not who I am. 

I really think the reason you dislike and judge Rodgers so much is because you both have the same personality.

And maybe you do have leadership experience. I honestly have no idea who you really are. Whether I am on a forum or in the office I am the same person. I don't change myself based on my audience. I guess I assumed you were the same way.

28 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

WOW.....That's what you got from this discussion?

Even if Rodgers does change, that in no way shape or form takes blame off of him. A coach and player relationship is like all relationships. A 2 way street.

I’m saying beyond a doubt, two in a two, can’t keep blaming coach after coach.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Because there's a better option.  Better options

1. Throwing the got damn ball to open receivers.
2. Throwing the ball away. 

Agree those are better options than taking sacks, but I'm taking exception to your statement that Rodgers is taking more sacks because he is selfishly wanting to protect his TD:INT ratio.  I'm not following why you bring up these two options in that context.

1.  how he protecting his TD:INT ratio by taking sacks instead of throwing to open receivers?

2.  rodgers threw away more balls in 2018 than any other season before

Edited by snackattack

The more of Rodgers I watch from 2018 the more I think he and Mac were basically like an old couple that ends up getting divorced because neither wants to be the one to make the first concession.  I don't see selfish play from Rodgers; in fact, lots of times the balls he didn't throw were chances for big plays.  Rather, he looked a lot like a guy who wasn't nearly as dialed in and prepared as he was used to being.  I suspect the biggest thing between the two was a strong disagreement on how the offense should go, but it's difficult for either one to make any headway when Rodgers has to let Mac call plays and Mac has to let Aaron execute them.  I think Aaron often just got to reads a bit too late or didn't have enough faith in the play design to throw a trust ball, especially to a rookie.  

• Like 1

This is a few months old, so im sure its been posted here, but this article has some interesting analysis. https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-film-study-aaron-rodgers-2018-throwaways-229

@Outpost31 should like it because it says that a large percentage of throwaways were due to nobody being open, and that rodgers was only at fault about 11% of the time.

About 75% of throwaways were due to quick pressure or nobody being open

1 hour ago, snackattack said:

This is a few months old, so im sure its been posted here, but this article has some interesting analysis. https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-film-study-aaron-rodgers-2018-throwaways-229

@Outpost31 should like it because it says that a large percentage of throwaways were due to nobody being open, and that rodgers was only at fault about 11% of the time.

About 75% of throwaways were due to quick pressure or nobody being open

Yeah, I went over that gif by gif by gif and everybody laughed at somebody using that to defend Rodgers because it is hideously bent in Aaron’s favor.  You can probably find that in this thread.

It is a hit piece on McCarthy and it’s full of lies.  You can literally see people wide effing open who Rodgers is literally staring at in the gifs.

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I went over that gif by gif by gif and everybody laughed at somebody using that to defend Rodgers because it is hideously bent in Aaron’s favor.  You can probably find that in this thread.

It is a hit piece on McCarthy and it’s full of lies.  You can literally see people wide effing open who Rodgers is literally staring at in the gifs.

I did a search for cheeseheadtv and didnt fund anything. Agree it may have a rodgers bias, but im curious which gifs werent analyzed the right way? I only watched them all like 1 or 2 times and didnt noticed anything overtly wrong with his analysis

2 hours ago, snackattack said:

I did a search for cheeseheadtv and didnt fund anything. Agree it may have a rodgers bias, but im curious which gifs werent analyzed the right way? I only watched them all like 1 or 2 times and didnt noticed anything overtly wrong with his analysis

I'm not going through it all again.  The very first one Valdez-Scantling is open as the play was clearly designed.  Rodgers is looking right at him.  That's a 30 yard gain. 

40_wk10_11a_third_down_throwaway.gif

Second play, Marcedes Lewis is clearly a security option who is open.  It's quick, but he's still open.  Rodgers mustn't throw a checkdown.  They call it rollout pressure, but they blame the offense for a throwaway when there was a dumpoff option immediately.  Every single QB throws that but Rodgers. 

Third play was a bad play.  They still mislable it as pressure, stay in pocket when he's trying to get out. 

Fourth play if you can't see how open Jimmy Graham is you are blind:  They blame that one on quick pressure.  Quick pressure happens to every QB.  Not every QB declines to throw to an open receiver when the play clearly has that option built in in the event of quick pressure. 

41_wk10_18a_late-breaking_routes.gif

This next one is the best proof to show that Graham was neglected like some poor stepchild:

Not how Graham got away with pass interference, Rodgers was literally looking at him, Graham got three yards of separation and it's a first down, but noooo, Rodgers has to scramble.  It's clear that was what the play was designed for.  Guess that three yards of separation for a much needed first down wasn't good enough for Rodgers. 

50_wk14_04a_shot_throwaway.gif

It also says there were 4 screens to a running back interfered by the defense where Rodgers had to throw it away.  That's a bold faced lie.  Rodgers sucks at screens, and he throws them away sometimes when 90 quarterbacks in the league could complete the pass. 

It's all BS. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not going through it all again.  The very first one Valdez-Scantling is open as the play was clearly designed.  Rodgers is looking right at him.  That's a 30 yard gain. 

40_wk10_11a_third_down_throwaway.gif

Second play, Marcedes Lewis is clearly a security option who is open.  It's quick, but he's still open.  Rodgers mustn't throw a checkdown.  They call it rollout pressure, but they blame the offense for a throwaway when there was a dumpoff option immediately.  Every single QB throws that but Rodgers. 

Third play was a bad play.  They still mislable it as pressure, stay in pocket when he's trying to get out. 

Fourth play if you can't see how open Jimmy Graham is you are blind:  They blame that one on quick pressure.  Quick pressure happens to every QB.  Not every QB declines to throw to an open receiver when the play clearly has that option built in in the event of quick pressure. 

41_wk10_18a_late-breaking_routes.gif

This next one is the best proof to show that Graham was neglected like some poor stepchild:

Not how Graham got away with pass interference, Rodgers was literally looking at him, Graham got three yards of separation and it's a first down, but noooo, Rodgers has to scramble.  It's clear that was what the play was designed for.  Guess that three yards of separation for a much needed first down wasn't good enough for Rodgers. 

50_wk14_04a_shot_throwaway.gif

It also says there were 4 screens to a running back interfered by the defense where Rodgers had to throw it away.  That's a bold faced lie.  Rodgers sucks at screens, and he throws them away sometimes when 90 quarterbacks in the league could complete the pass. 

It's all BS. 

Gif 1: MVS is not open before pressure, the high safety bites down and vacates that area and leaves him open. Can fault him for not finding him after escaping, no proof there he's staring down an open man and not throwing it.

Gif 2: Ball needs to go to Graham, no questions asked. Classic example of Rodgers holding for a home run rather than taking 5 yards.

Gif 3: First read is clearly top of the field, scans to the bottom. When he gets there the receiver has 3 yards of separation, but the DB also has eyes on the QB by that point. You always want to throw hitches before the WR breaks. I'm OK with Aaron passing on 10 yards when there's a chance of a pick 6 there.

Overall, more of the same. Aaron passes on checkdowns to try and make plays downfield. Any evidence here of him deliberately not throwing to open receivers in his progression? No.

• Like 5