Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

12 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I'll just say this. You're absolutely in the minority. Brand loyalty and recognition is absolutely a thing. It's just the way the vast majority of people work. Advertising wouldn't be the gigantic business it is if it didn't work.  McDonald's isn't the biggest restaraunt because people tried a bunch and decided it was the best. Starbucks isn't the biggest coffee chain because of that. Bud isn't the biggest brewery becuase of that. A vast majority of people consume what they consume because it's the thing they know rather than the best or even what they like the best.

I know just a little about you but I'd guess you and most of the people you know who enjoy craft beers fit squarely in what I described as being the niche market for microbreweries and that industry very much does and very intentionally is marketing and advertising aimed toward that way. They're the hip and sophisticated and too much style and class to drink crappy beer beers. It's 1000% intentional and it works. 

Heck. We're on a Packer board here. I bet the vast majority of people here like the Packers because it was what their family liked or the first team they got excited for or something as arbitrary as the colors not that they watched a bunch of football and made a conscious decision to like the Packers for specific reasons. 

So:

Category 1: Majority, loyal to a brand, do not try other brands

Category 2: Minority, too much style and class to limit themselves to crappy option(s) in category 1

?

30 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I'll just say this. You're absolutely in the minority. Brand loyalty and recognition is absolutely a thing. It's just the way the vast majority of people work. Advertising wouldn't be the gigantic business it is if it didn't work.  McDonald's isn't the biggest restaraunt because people tried a bunch and decided it was the best. Starbucks isn't the biggest coffee chain because of that. Bud isn't the biggest brewery becuase of that. A vast majority of people consume what they consume because it's the thing they know rather than the best or even what they like the best.

I know just a little about you but I'd guess you and most of the people you know who enjoy craft beers fit squarely in what I described as being the niche market for microbreweries and that industry very much does and very intentionally is marketing and advertising aimed toward that way. They're the hip and sophisticated and too much style and class to drink crappy beer beers. It's 1000% intentional and it works. 

Heck. We're on a Packer board here. I bet the vast majority of people here like the Packers because it was what their family liked or the first team they got excited for or something as arbitrary as the colors not that they watched a bunch of football and made a conscious decision to like the Packers for specific reasons. 

Brand loyalty is extremely true for macro brews.

Not true at all for micro, a lot of breweries in MKE plan big releases on the same day, so their customers can bounce from one brewery to the next. The reason the craft market exploded is because of that very reason. A brand loyal market would never be able to sustain as many breweries as exist now.

Think the marketing to the 25-40 year old men thing is outdated too. I don't really care for fruit beers, they weren't very common as of 5-10 years ago. No they're everywhere. Women make up a larger percentage of that market than you think. Go to a beer festival in a city, you'll be surprised at how much it's changed in the last 5-7 years.

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So:

Category 1: Majority, loyal to a brand, do not try other brands

Category 2: Minority, too much style and class to limit themselves to crappy option(s) in category 1

?

Yes. It's things are very much marketed that way. Things are marketed to the masses. Other things are marketed to be for those "too concerning" for the masses. Look at the Lexus and Infinitis of the 90s. Look at the eyeglass and sunglasses industry. Look at the cosmetics industry. They're all the same manufacturers making nearly identical products and marketing them to different consumer groups.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Brand loyalty is extremely true for macro brews.

Not true at all for micro, a lot of breweries in MKE plan big releases on the same day, so their customers can bounce from one brewery to the next. The reason the craft market exploded is because of that very reason. A brand loyal market would never be able to sustain as many breweries as exist now.

Think the marketing to the 25-40 year old men thing is outdated too. I don't really care for fruit beers, they weren't very common as of 5-10 years ago. No they're everywhere. Women make up a larger percentage of that market than you think. Go to a beer festival in a city, you'll be surprised at how much it's changed in the last 5-7 years.

The brand loyalty for macro vs. micro is 100% true. It's a do you have brand X on tap? In bottles? Can? Oh ok never mind I'll have a whatever or ok never mind and leave vs. what kind of IPAs/ciders/sours/saisons do you have?

Brand loyalty for liquor in mixed drinks is an absolute meme in the service industry BTW. If you want a specific brand of vodka or whiskey and at all are pretentious about it in your mixed drink you will get eye rolls and talked about amongst the staff. 

I've literally worked in the service industry that entire time frame. Women still 95% of the time get either wine, a cocktail, a mixed drink, a shot, or a macro brew. The microbrew industry absolutely is not fueled by women. I'd guess it makes up less than a third of the total customers and maybe 15% of the total sales.

14 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Yes. It's things are very much marketed that way. Things are marketed to the masses. Other things are marketed to be for those "too concerning" for the masses. Look at the Lexus and Infinitis of the 90s. Look at the eyeglass and sunglasses industry. Look at the cosmetics industry. They're all the same manufacturers making nearly identical products and marketing them to different consumer groups.

The brand loyalty for macro vs. micro is 100% true. It's a do you have brand X on tap? In bottles? Can? Oh ok never mind I'll have a whatever or ok never mind and leave vs. what kind of IPAs/ciders/sours/saisons do you have?

Brand loyalty for liquor in mixed drinks is an absolute meme in the service industry BTW. If you want a specific brand of vodka or whiskey and at all are pretentious about it in your mixed drink you will get eye rolls and talked about amongst the staff. 

I've literally worked in the service industry that entire time frame. Women still 95% of the time get either wine, a cocktail, a mixed drink, a shot, or a macro brew. The microbrew industry absolutely is not fueled by women. I'd guess it makes up less than a third of the total customers and maybe 15% of the total sales.

Your anecdotes seem outdated from a quick Google search:

https://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/featured/tasting-room-sales-insight-women-spend-more-per-craft-brewery-visit/

Also, literally every time I order a liquor drink the bartender immediately asks what brand I want.  If a server asks what brand you want and lists some, and then rolls their eyes, that doesn't make any sense.

I never seen someone leave a bar after asking for a specific brand and it wasn't available. Maybe it's a regional thing in Denver?

You always ask what kind of alcohol people want because if the people want a specific brand it's always an upsale from the well option. Pricier drink should equal better tip.

If you ask for a titos vs belvidere vs grey goose or a Jim vs jack or tully vs. glenfiddish and get pretentious or offended when offered the equivalent you're definitely getting judged as you can't taste the difference after MAYBE the first sip when it's drowned in cranberry juice or coke.

It's more a they leave after one drink and don't come back. Like I said I work in and frequent a lot of bars and intermingle with the staffs and costumers. When I tell them where I work or where I usually hang out. There's a lot of "Oh I don't really go there because they don't have X on tap."  Again absolutely a more macro thing. Definitely a daily occurrence at my last bar to hear "you really should have brand X on tap. I'd come in way more often."

More per visit frankly a terrible measuring stick. Women generally spend more per visit. In general if women are going out (especially) to a craft brewery it's a girls night out and they go all out but its not frequent. Men tend to be much frequenter visitors. They may not go all out every trip but they are much more likely to go out multiple times in a week/month.  A girls night out might be each of them spending a good chunk but a random guy is going to come in way more frequently and end up spending more in the long run. 

That all sounds reasonable. I also typically will drink Manhattans when I go for a hard drink and the brand absolutely matters there. Nothing to drown out the whiskey. Mostly prefer a style (rye anything) and am less particular of brand. Many suit me.

I just don't see those categories in practice in all my years of going out with a variety of social groups. Maybe the Midwest is less separated this way.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

That all sounds reasonable. I also typically will drink Manhattans when I go for a hard drink and the brand absolutely matters there. Nothing to drown out the whiskey. Mostly prefer a style (rye anything) and am less particular of brand. Many suit me.

I just don't see those categories in practice in all my years of going out with a variety of social groups. Maybe the Midwest is less separated this way.

I love Whiskey Manhattans a little too much. They go down a little too fast, though I admit that has much to do with my expulsive personality. The smooth smoky sweetness of the Manhattan is innocent and not responsible for my irresponsible gluttony. In the Fox Cities where I grew up, brandy Manhattans were pretty common, and that shocks a lot of outsiders. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Norm said:

Holy ******* ****. There used to be a guy that would come into the bar I worked at and get a pop and microwave popcorn and he ALWAYS wanted it exactly 1 minute and 51 seconds. Are you related? I'm sad I can't say it was 1:41 but every time I see popcorn I wonder if they microwaved the secret amount of 151. 

I drink pop room temp because when I was a kid we were broke as **** and we didn't get very much. If I put it in the fridge my little sister would drink some. But if I never did, she wouldn't and she would never put any in the fridge herself. So I got all of it if I just left it warm lol. And that's the story of why I don't chill my pop or bottled water. 

Inb4 "you call it pop??!"

Well I am officially ****ed up, because while I have never ordered popcorn at a bar in my life. I am also a 111 (1:51) second popcorn maker. That's the exact right time on most microwaves that maxes out the number of kernels that pop before you enter the danger zone of the first popped kernels starting to brown.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Well I am officially ****ed up, because while I have never ordered popcorn at a bar in my life. I am also a 111 (1:51) second popcorn maker. That's the exact right time on most microwaves that maxes out the number of kernels that pop before you enter the danger zone of the first popped kernels starting to brown.

So this is a thing??