Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

13 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I wouldn’t of game planned for a wide open offense against the Bears and Vikings defenses and Denver is a Vic Fangio defense(in the rain), you have to respect that. The Packers schedule this year is riddled with teams whose top units are their defenses! Work within the system, don’t beat yourselves, let your defense protect the lead. Things can always change but right now the Packers have shown a very conservative offensive playbook, are 3-0 and have been challenged by some of the best defenses in the league. Don’t know why these facts should worry anyone

I’m like 90% there with you. But, as others have pointed out, this defense needs the offense to hang onto the ball and sustain drives. When we’re up by 14, long drives kill the other team’s chances of winning and rests the D for the next shot at a three and out.

So fundamentally I think you and I don’t have any problems with our offense that they don’t already have with themselves. 

• Like 1

Rodgers is the little girl with curls.

When she's good?  She's very, very good!  (Vitale throw.  MVS TD throw.  Adams backshoulder throw.  Jones crosser hit in stride.  Lewis on that funky broken play.)

When she's bad?  She's very bad!  (Couple awful overthrows)

But here is the good thing.  I felt like he played a better game today.  I think he made significantly better throws.  That TD to MVS?  I thought he put it out there perfectly.  MVS turned it into a tougher catch for some reason, but that thing was perfect.  That back shoulder to Adams?  That's freakin' textbook.   Talking timing, placement, spiral...etc.  It was everything and about as unstoppable as a play can get.  That's probably the most impressed I've been with a Rodgers pass this year.  And I also loved the Vitale touch pass.  

On the Vitale one, that looked easy, but it was not.  Vitale had to get through some traffic to get into a route.  Rodgers had to wait for that to clear to establish where the route was going.  And he hit him with an easy ball to catch, in stride.  Gorgeous.

I'm pretty happy that he's appearing to get better week by week.  

Telling yah.  If this defense keeps it up and keeps us in games, come week 12 or so we are going to be a really scary team to face.  

• Like 1

Um we have the 26th ranked offense through 3 games.  Yes I am concerned.  Time of possession in this last game was atrocious.  I'll give Rodgers credit for not turning over the ball that's #1 but they keep putting the D in some pretty precarious positions.  We won because of turnovers against Denver.  That will not always be the case.  Granted we played against some very good defenses.  Rodgers needs to play better and the offense needs to execute better as well.  We are winning and that is great but unless the Offense starts making progress we aren't going anywhere.  Listened to Rodger's presser and he knows it.  The offense is not even mediocre.  Expected growing pains but didn't think they would be this bad.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Um we have the 26th ranked offense through 3 games.  Yes I am concerned.  Time of possession in this last game was atrocious.  I'll give Rodgers credit for not turning over the ball that's #1 but they keep putting the D in some pretty precarious positions.  We won because of turnovers against Denver.  That will not always be the case.  Granted we played against some very good defenses.  Rodgers needs to play better and the offense needs to execute better as well.  We are winning and that is great but unless the Offense starts making progress we aren't going anywhere.  Listened to Rodger's presser and he knows it.  The offense is not even mediocre.  Expected growing pains but didn't think they would be this bad.  

Before the season started I kinda figured it was gonna take a few weeks before things started to click.  If the offense still looks like this in the beginning of October I will join your ranks of concerned.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rodgers is the little girl with curls.

When she's good?  She's very, very good!  (Vitale throw.  MVS TD throw.  Adams backshoulder throw.  Jones crosser hit in stride.  Lewis on that funky broken play.)

When she's bad?  She's very bad!  (Couple awful overthrows)

But here is the good thing.  I felt like he played a better game today.  I think he made significantly better throws.  That TD to MVS?  I thought he put it out there perfectly.  MVS turned it into a tougher catch for some reason, but that thing was perfect.  That back shoulder to Adams?  That's freakin' textbook.   Talking timing, placement, spiral...etc.  It was everything and about as unstoppable as a play can get.  That's probably the most impressed I've been with a Rodgers pass this year.  And I also loved the Vitale touch pass.  

On the Vitale one, that looked easy, but it was not.  Vitale had to get through some traffic to get into a route.  Rodgers had to wait for that to clear to establish where the route was going.  And he hit him with an easy ball to catch, in stride.  Gorgeous.

I'm pretty happy that he's appearing to get better week by week.  

Telling yah.  If this defense keeps it up and keeps us in games, come week 12 or so we are going to be a really scary team to face.  

That Jones crosser was a thing of beauty. More, MORE, MORE!!!

The weird thing about fandom is all of the smartest people on this board told us in summer to cool our jets because a new coach and a new offensive system needs time to get good.

And now there is so much consternation about that exact thing playing out in front of us. Again, let me know the first week that the offense steps back instead of forward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

As AR and the offense get more comfortable with this new offense in the coming weeks Aaron's play will improve.  We are 3-0 with a sputtering offense.  Good times should be ahead.

Yep .. the out of sync series' are troubling.  At times it seems like they are all lost .. looks kind of like a jailbreak.  

23 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Gonna admittedly try to sell you on something here.

Lindsay.  21 attempts.  81 yards.  3.9 average.  Long of 9.

Freeman.  15 attempts.  63 yards.  4.2 average.  Long of 12.

Flacco.  20-29.  213 yards.  

So...on the surface.  They rushed a lot for some lower averages.  I thought that Pettine played cat and mouse.  Meaning he was aggressive at time, and not aggressive at times.  The result was that the run defense was better than what it was when I watched the game.

And Flacco?  Seemed like the gameplan was to take the underneath/safe stuff.  Like the more they pushed the ball downfield, the more they opened themselves up to the Pettine pressure and playmaking safeties and corners.

I don't know that Denver could have played much better.  Had they thrown caution to the wind and tried more deep shots, Flacco needed more time and would have been beat up more, while offering more opportunities to King/Alexander/Savage.

So yah, they took the little stuff.  And we kind of let them.  While making some game changing defensive plays when the opportunity showed itself.

I credit Denver for a solid offensive plan.  And more credit to Pettine and that defense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Gonna admittedly try to sell you on something here.

Lindsay.  21 attempts.  81 yards.  3.9 average.  Long of 9.

Freeman.  15 attempts.  63 yards.  4.2 average.  Long of 12.

Flacco.  20-29.  213 yards.  

So...on the surface.  They rushed a lot for some lower averages.  I thought that Pettine played cat and mouse.  Meaning he was aggressive at time, and not aggressive at times.  The result was that the run defense was better than what it was when I watched the game.

And Flacco?  Seemed like the gameplan was to take the underneath/safe stuff.  Like the more they pushed the ball downfield, the more they opened themselves up to the Pettine pressure and playmaking safeties and corners.

I don't know that Denver could have played much better.  Had they thrown caution to the wind and tried more deep shots, Flacco needed more time and would have been beat up more, while offering more opportunities to King/Alexander/Savage.

So yah, they took the little stuff.  And we kind of let them.  While making some game changing defensive plays when the opportunity showed itself.

I credit Denver for a solid offensive plan.  And more credit to Pettine and that defense.

No problems with the Defense.  Time of possession issue is with our Offense.  They were terrible.   Think you missed where I was going.  Pack needs to sustain drives on Offense too many 3 and outs.  3rd down conversion rate pathetic.  Given how poorly the Offense played yet again it's a miracle the D didn't wear down in this game.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Points are still more important than time of possession, right?

While this is true, and I think each game will pose different scenarios with TOP we can't sustain what transpired yesterday. We do need to be better a keeping drives alive and moving the chains the defense needs to have some rest to if we put them out too much there are risks to that as well. That late driver that ate 7:41 of clock was a thing of beauty. I believe AR is at his best when he moves the ball around and takes the underneath stuff also. All of that opens up the deep game down the line.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Before the season started I kinda figured it was gonna take a few weeks before things started to click.  If the offense still looks like this in the beginning of October I will join your ranks of concerned.

Exactly.  Let’s see how we play against teams without elite defenses first.  

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

No problems with the Defense.  Time of possession issue is with our Offense.  They were terrible.   Think you missed where I was going.  Pack needs to sustain drives on Offense too many 3 and outs.  3rd down conversion rate pathetic.  Given how poorly the Offense played yet again it's a miracle the D didn't wear down in this game.  

Ah.  Got it.

Seemed to me like we'd get clicking, then get a false start or holding call and we simply aren't good enough to overcome that....yet.

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Are we better or worse off than the Giants as far as talent and scheme around the QB?  Same thing for every rookie QB who has been starting fast.  

I just can’t believe two schemes are the cause.  Rodgers is not a top QB in this league.

I've read a lot of nonsense on message boards before but this one.................................... :o

When you say 'top QB'. Are you saying top 5, 10, 15? Curious minds!