Giants to re-sign WR Sterling Shepard (4 year, $41M)

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, he is getting more than most of the other WRs on the FA market this offseason...but he's also better than all but maybe a couple of them.  It's also a deal looking toward next season, where the cap will probably continue to rise and even bigger deals will be signed for equal or lesser players.  It's not like a "good deal" for the Giants necessarily, but it's not really a bad one either.

He is "just a slot receiver" and that kinda limits his upside to a degree, but he's also very good in that role.  One of the best "just a slot receivers" in the business right now imo.  And seems to be the opposite of OBJ in terms of not being any kind of off-field distraction.

He actually lined up wide about 45% of the time last year and produced more in that role than he did in the slot. His slot snap percentages have gone from over 80% in his rookie year to 75% in 2017 to 55% last year. In Shurmur's offense, receivers line up everywhere; versatility isn't a wanted skill, it is necessary.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

He actually lined up wide about 45% of the time last year and produced more in that role than he did in the slot. His slot snap percentages have gone from over 80% in his rookie year to 75% in 2017 to 55% last year. In Shurmur's offense, receivers line up everywhere; versatility isn't a wanted skill, it is necessary.

Huh.  I didn't actually realize his playing time outside had gone up that much.  Casually, it certainly seemed like it went up a bit with Shurmur and OBJ AWOL again, but that's actually a pretty decent chunk.

Really just all the more reason this deal isn't that bad.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:41 AM, El ramster said:

such and easy cheese and cop out. The Giants have won 2 SBs before the Cleveland Browns have won a single playoff game.

How dare they call another franchise horrible. And cheap Sb joke please do better and be more creative, Any hardcore fan would give up their left nut for there team of choice to win a playoff game 

let alone get in the Sb. Your hate for the rams is just special at this point. 

LMAO at you telling others to be more creative with trolling.  Take your own advice, cupcake.

I hate everything that is John Mara Jr. and the Giants, but it's really not a horrible deal.  IMO, with OBJ out of the way, Shep should start being more of a #2 focal point that I thought he'd be coming out of Oklahoma. Ironically, the one player that I thought he'd most resemble, ended up getting signed by his team (Golden Tate). I believe those two WR's , Ingram and Barkley will have this offense humming along better in 2019 than they have in the past 3-4 years. 

That defense, though..

tenor.gif?itemid=3589906

7 hours ago, kramxel said:

Never seen blocking being discussed so much in a receiver thread... Either his blocking is God tier, or people are justifying an overpay. 

Last time I saw blocking discussed this much was when everyone was wanted to block a troll Rams fan in an NFL Gen thread. 

Wonder what ever became of that guy. 

Archived