2019 NFL Draft talk

RamRod

I may need to go back and watch more tape of Gaines, @jrry32, but something that occurred to me late last night was that Gaines' "lack of pass rushing" prowess may have at least in some way been tied to the Washington defensive scheme.  Moreso in it being a case of that being why it's underdeveloped versus just plain not there.  Washington deployed a 2-4-5, naturally the primary (and likely secondary, at that) assignment of a downed-lineman in that scheme is occupying space and eating blockers to free up the LB's and DB's buzzing behind to make plays.

I feel like the untapped potential is there to still potentially get some of what you and I have come to expect out of a more traditional Wade Phillips NT.  While it wasn't what I'd call outstanding, Gaines actually had a superior SPARQ score to guys like Kingsley Keke, Chris Slayton, and Daniel Wise; he's also not that far off from Khalen Saunders.  I'll check RAS scores as soon as I'm able to find a dependable source.

Edit: 6.29 RAS score, which isn't great, but it's higher than the likes of DreMont Jones.  Not Broughton's score (8.13), but it's not horrible when you consider that Cody Ford posted a 6.33 RAS and that's about the average level of guard play he'd be going up against and he'll (eventually at least) have the benefit of anyone he lines up over top of also having to account, at least in the back of their mind, for Donald's gap-shooting stellarness.

• Like 1

I really like this draft except the trade up for Henderson where we give up 2 3 rd round pick in the process. 

Henderson is a good player but at the end of the draft i still feel we needed someone to compete at the ILB position and we lack of depht at DL/ILB. 

Kiser starting at ILB doesn't sound very good and if Littleton or him gets injured, who are gonna replacing them ? 

The draft was full of quality LB and we took one in the 7th round...errr we will still have issue stopping the running game this year.

5 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I really like this draft except the trade up for Henderson where we give up 2 3 rd round pick in the process. 

Henderson is a good player but at the end of the draft i still feel we needed someone to compete at the ILB position and we lack of depht at DL/ILB. 

Kiser starting at ILB doesn't sound very good and if Littleton or him gets injured, who are gonna replacing them ? 

The draft was full of quality LB and we took one in the 7th round...errr we will still have issue stopping the running game this year.

We don't know how Wade is going to choose to line them up.  There's a decent chance we see Clay playing some snaps on at OLB and some at ILB.  Same goes for Ebukam (we're going to have Okoronkwo and Fox fit and able to play on the edge, in addition to Clay and Fowler; guys like Ebukam and Double-O are likely going to have to put in some of their reps on the interior in order to assure getting a decent amount of reps period).  Dakota Allen is what he is, a 2-down hammer, same as Kiser was, which is the same reason why both fell as much as their did in their respective draft classes (same reason why all those types of player in this class fell: Edwards, Hodge, Coney, Lamar).  Doesn't mean they can't play, just means teams are valuing fairly-clear 2-down players like them less and less.

A year ago, if I recall, people were bemoaning putting so much faith in LIttleton coming good and pinning our hopes on him and Barron, with only really Kiser and Ramik Wilson behind them.  Wade found a way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Zach Brown is still on the market, obviously not getting a huge contract this late in the offseason, and the Rams may have extra appeal...

I was happy with the draft. The need for OL and Secondary was evident with those two position groups having the potential for biggest turnover in upcoming years (Whitworth, Talib, Peters). I think Taylor Rapp is going to thrive in his role as a 3rd Safety covering TE's, slot, RB's which is where we were burned alot last year. Very excited to see him on the field.

I liked the Henderson pick even though regardless of what Snead/McVay say, it worries me for Gurley's knees. But if Gurley needs to be fresh for the playoffs and Henderson can be a 3rd down back I'm excited to see what Henderson can do.

Full faith in Kromer developing the OL prospects, but I see both as guards. Blythe may switch to Center and compete with Allen.

I think we will sign a vet LB before camp or during to compete on the inside, but I'm comfortable with Kiser and Littleton starting. Oko is practically a rookie this year as an Edge rusher so it doesn't shock me they didn't add someone early. Ebukam, Fowler, Clay, and Oko should be fine.

Gaines should start week 1 at NT and even though he will never have flashy numbers, the ability to eat blockers up will help with our rush defense and give Donald/Brockers some open looks.

I wish we rolled the dice on a late WR to compete for #4 or #5 spot, but thats a minimal critique. I heard the TE Brown as UDFA was a great find, but don't know much about him.

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I wish we rolled the dice on a late WR to compete for #4 or #5 spot, but thats a minimal critique. I heard the TE Brown as UDFA was a great find, but don't know much about him.

I mean, we are taking Ricky Proehl's son (who was drafted by the Bills last year) into camp and he's been on the practice squad since late October.  And we did bring Bachman is as a PFA, and Bachman's under the radar but he's got some tools (good route-runner, attacks the ball, has returner experience, ran a 4.47s 40 at his pro day, similar athletic profile to what Woods was as a prospect if not a shade shiftier).

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I was happy with the draft. The need for OL and Secondary was evident with those two position groups having the potential for biggest turnover in upcoming years (Whitworth, Talib, Peters). I think Taylor Rapp is going to thrive in his role as a 3rd Safety covering TE's, slot, RB's which is where we were burned alot last year. Very excited to see him on the field.

I liked the Henderson pick even though regardless of what Snead/McVay say, it worries me for Gurley's knees. But if Gurley needs to be fresh for the playoffs and Henderson can be a 3rd down back I'm excited to see what Henderson can do.

Full faith in Kromer developing the OL prospects, but I see both as guards. Blythe may switch to Center and compete with Allen.

I think we will sign a vet LB before camp or during to compete on the inside, but I'm comfortable with Kiser and Littleton starting. Oko is practically a rookie this year as an Edge rusher so it doesn't shock me they didn't add someone early. Ebukam, Fowler, Clay, and Oko should be fine.

Gaines should start week 1 at NT and even though he will never have flashy numbers, the ability to eat blockers up will help with our rush defense and give Donald/Brockers some open looks.

I did evaluate Brown. He was somewhat intriguing, but my concern with him was his tweener status without the level of athleticism needed to compensate. He's built like a slot TE, but he's only an averageish athlete. However, I do recall him having some physicality to his game, some willingness to block, and showing some YAC ability. Worth seeing what he can do as a #3 TE.

Add Dartmouth OT Matt Kaskey to our list of PFA's.  I had the chance for some back and forth with Damond Talbot who owns and operated NFL Draft Diamonds and has a lot of personal interaction with a lot of these smaller school (it feels weird calling an Ivy a small school) and, while Damond is prone to hyperbole, he had some really high praise for him:

"I did not do a scouting report on him, but he is one of the nastiest blockers I have ever watched. I love his film. I love his mean mauler attitude. He is athletic too"

Here is his video workup on Kaskey for NFLDD:

• Like 1

Did not follow this process as much as in the past, but my general thoughts from the draft:

If it wasn't apparent before, it is now. College production matters to this group. Basically every pick had a very productive college career. Most fall short athletically unfortunately. 

Rapp was a mega producer at Wash that offers upper tier agility and nothing else.

Darrell Henderson is the most efficient RB in college history with high tier speed and average everywhere else. Really love the high BMI, which translates well.

David Long is my kind of pick. Dominated at Michigan and has the elite athleticism across the board to back it up. Steal of the draft.

Bobby Evans was the first head scratcher, but on many accounts played well at OU. Barely passes the 10 and SS threshold, but leave a lot to be desired in the 3C. At least he excels in pass pro, which is ideal.

Greg Gaines is another meh athlete as mentioned before. Had a unexpectedly high QB pressure rate at UW. His run stuffing "prowess" doesn't move the needle for me.

David Edwards surprisingly projects well at the next level. It takes a lot for me to like a linemen with sole value in the run game, but I think he can develop into a good player. Hits all the OL thresholds.

Nick Scott is the perfect 7th round flyer. Athleticism off the charts. Will he ever be more than a special teamer?

Dakota Allen is one of the most agile linebackers in the class. Not much else to add.

First time since like 2003 that I didnt really follow the draft. Just had way to much going on this year.....sounds like fans are happy with the outcome though. Might be way WAY off on this comparison, but this Greg Gaines kid reminds me of Jeff Zgonina from way back.