If the Pelicans win the lottery does Davis stay?

MKnight82

Add Zion to the roster with Jrue already there, that could be a nasty trio.  Zion and Davis would be two of the most switchable bigs in the league and both have a decent enough 3 point shot for defenses to respect it.  It might be a little awkward at first after Davis made his demand public, but honestly it’s been awkward all year anyways.  

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Add Zion to the roster with Jrue already there, that could be a nasty trio.  Zion and Davis would be two of the most switchable bigs in the league and both have a decent enough 3 point shot for defenses to respect it.  It might be a little awkward at first after Davis made his demand public, but honestly it’s been awkward all year anyways.  

Some might say that there is way too much damage done. However, it would all be up to AD. I'd bet the Pels would extend AD the same day if they had the chance.

Edited by resilient part 2

I doubt a rookie, no matter how hyped, would convince Davis to stay. Maybe New Orleans would hold onto Davis into next season and hope Zion is better than advertised and Davis does commit, but unless Davis signs the extension before the trade deadline then I'm trading him.

I highly doubt AD stays at this point. 

Something that I've been thinking though is what if the Pelicans can get the first 2 picks of the draft. They end up winning the lottery, the Knicks get the second pick and decide to use that, plus other assets to trade for AD. 

The Pelicans start their rebuild with two gems in Zion and Ja Morant, while the Knicks have AD to potentially team up with KD and/or Kyrie to become instant contenders in the East. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Danger said:

What else do the Knicks have to offer along with pick 3 for AD?  Pick 4 is worth peanuts really in this draft.

Not much other than Knox, Ntilikina, Dennis Smith Jr. and Mitchell Robinson.  The Knicks would be better off just taking either Barrett or Morant imo, then play FA hard and if they land 2 stars they can either keep their #3 guy or flip him for another veteran piece. The Knicks don't have enough ammo to land Davis imo.  

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I posted this in April, what do you guys think now?  Will Davis still demand a trade?  

I think what I posted will happen. Griffin holds onto him into the season in hopes that Zion is as good as advertised and see if Davis wants to stay. But if he doesn't sign the extension before the trade deadline, even if he's saying the right things, then they should trade him.

New Orleans can create cap space and really fill out the roster this summer. Stretch or trade Solomon Hill and they'll have over $30 million in cap space to sign some good bench players.

I'll take Solomon Hill for Avery Bradley and a protected 1st that turns into 2 2nds after 3 years. Then New Orleans signs Bogdanovic and Patrick Beverly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Not much other than Knox, Ntilikina, Dennis Smith Jr. and Mitchell Robinson.  The Knicks would be better off just taking either Barrett or Morant imo, then play FA hard and if they land 2 stars they can either keep their #3 guy or flip him for another veteran piece. The Knicks don't have enough ammo to land Davis imo.  

#3 + Smith, Ntilkina, Knox would be tempting. Boston may be able to top it if they offer Tatum, Brown and pick(s). With the way Ingram looked before the injury I wouldn't totally rule out the Lakers either though I'm not sure if its a long term injury.

The Lakers wanted Anthony Davis before and I'm sure they still want him now.  Maybe Griffin is willing to deal, especially now that the Lakers have the #4 overall pick.  My question is, what else would the Lakers have to offer?

The one advantage the Lakers will have is that Anthony Davis actually wants to play there, which means he'll be more keen on signing an extension.  Maybe something happens with the Knicks if they can get Durant.

6 minutes ago, amac said:

#3 + Smith, Ntilkina, Knox would be tempting. Boston may be able to top it if they offer Tatum, Brown and pick(s). With the way Ingram looked before the injury I wouldn't totally rule out the Lakers either though I'm not sure if its a long term injury.

Those young players all suck, though.

Just now, showtime said:

The Lakers wanted Anthony Davis before and I'm sure they still want him now.  Maybe Griffin is willing to deal, especially now that the Lakers have the #4 overall pick.  My question is, what else would the Lakers have to offer?

The one advantage the Lakers will have is that Anthony Davis actually wants to play there, which means he'll be more keen on signing an extension.  Maybe something happens with the Knicks if they can get Durant.

If I'm the Pelicans I would never trade Davis within the West.  If held a gun to their head I would guess Ball, Ingram, Kuzma and picks.  

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Brandon Ingram's last month or so was awesome. Still only 21 (22 before next season) and has lots of potential that he's shown more than just flashes of both this season and last.

Also could offer their 2022 1st since that will be a double draft and LeBron will continue to decline.