Sign in to follow this  
germ-x

GERM-X 2019 Broncos Mock Draft V.1

Alright, here’s my take on Denver’s 2019 draft.  This isn’t what I am hoping for, but what I think could happen based on Denver’s needs, current draft projections, who Denver has shown interest in, and what I think Elway is thinking.

1st Round: #10

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri- Elway has typically shown his hand on players he likes, so I am buying that he is smitten with Lock.  He checks all the physical boxes, excellent size ( 6’4” 228), athleticism (4.69 40), and arguably the best arm in the draft.  The Cutler comparisons are fair in terms of physical talent.  Lock is also reportedly a high character person, team captain, who loves football and has been a great interview through the draft process.  He’s played against the top college competition and improved every year as a 4 year starter.  

2nd Round: #41

Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas StateRisner is a Colorado guy, playing HS football at Wiggins.  He went to K-State and started at OC and RT while also projecting at OG.  According to PFF he’s put together one of the best career pass blocking grades they’ve ever recorded.  Risner has good size at 6’5” 312 with 34” arms, however, I have him falling a bit as his athletic testing was a bit pedestrian compared to others in the class.  He’s another former team captain, who I have slotting in as the day 1 starting RG, but he also adds versatility to the OL with his ability to play OC or RT.  Another former captain who will bring a lunch pail to work everyday. 

3rd Round: #71

Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State- Denver stays on the offensive side of the ball and takes McLaurin here.  Another team captain, McLaurin is highly regarded by coaches and teammates and will do anything to help his team and showcased that at Ohio State as a special teams ace as a gunner.  He surprised at the Senior Bowl with his route running and at the combine with his speed (4.35 40).  While not as shifty as Emmanuel Sanders, that’s who he reminds me of with his size (6’0” 208), speed, and toughness.

4th Round: #125 (f/HOU)

Renell Wren, DL, Arizona State- Denver goes defense here.  The trend continues as Wren is also another team captain.  Based on physical gifts he has first round talent at 6’5” 318 and a 5.01 40, however, he was never a productive player.  Denver takes a swing here with his character and physical talent and believe they can coach him up.  His physical numbers suggest he could play anywhere along a 3/4 front and Denver needs depth/talent along the DL.

5th Round: #148

Justin Hollins, OLB, Oregon- Hollins tested exceptionally at the combine at 6’5” 250 pounds and a 4.50 40.  After losing Barrett and Ray in FA, Denver needs depth here.  Much like Wren, while the physical numbers are great he left some to be desired on the field and lacks strength.  Denver can afford to use him situationally while developing the strength and the rest of his game.

5th Round: #156 (f/MIN)

Kris Boyd, DB, Texas- Boyd is a solid sized DB at 5’11” 201 who also ran in the 4.4s at the combine.  He lacks length at CB, however, with under 31” arms and many teams consider that the cutoff.  Boyd was one of the best run defending CBs in college football, but had some issues in the passing game.  Fangio has preached physicality for his DBs and that’s what Boyd brings and his addition helps solidify that unit.

6th Round:  #182

Drew Sample, TE, Washington- Elway this off-season has mentioned numerous times about the difficulty in finding blocking TEs, which is where Sample comes in.  At 6’5” 255, Sample was the highest graded run blocking TE by PFF.  He’s not a dynamic threat as a receiver and more of a chain mover type, however he has the size and hands to make that work while offering very good blocking as a #2 TE.

7th Round: #237 (f/HOU)

Chase Hansen, LB, Utah- Hansen is a 6’3” 222 pound converted safety.  He was unable to participate in the senior bowl and combine after surgery to repair a herniated disc.  He had a terrific senior year after moving to LB and shows coverage ability at LB after his time as a SS.  He probably won’t ever be a 3 down starter, but could earn a role as a coverage LB and special teams player.

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

I'm with you in that it's not what I'm hoping for either. But if Lock is there at 10 and White isn't, Lock's going to be a Bronco. I actually really like Risner in the second round; I'd consider that a hell of a good deal to pick him up there. I like Hollins in the 5th too.

Yes for the pick 1 and 2. At 3 if he is there i will take TE Knox or Warring;

I will consider this draft as good. The others picks will determine very good or just good

Fills a lot of needs, some high character guys too. Doesn't fill the ILB spot, though.

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Fills a lot of needs, some high character guys too. Doesn't fill the ILB spot, though.

Yeah, ILB is a tough one for me.  I have read that Fangio has said neither White or Bush are the caliber of player that Roquan Smith was coming into the NFL, which makes me think maybe Denver isn’t really looking to go that direction at #10.

After those 2 the rest of the ILB class is pretty sketchy.  There’s Mack Wilson who didn’t test well and Denver has never selected an Alabama player under Elway.  Blake Cashman and Bobby Okereke are intriguing players in the mid rounds, but I don’t know that they’d be an upgrade over the starters.

I could see Denver wanting to improve the position, but could also seem them stick with Jewell, Davis, Jones, Bierria, and Cravens while adding some competition with a later round and UDFA pick up or 2.

Overall this is a good draft. 

I like Lock. In fact I like him a lot more than all of the QB ‘s from last year with Baker and Darnold being the exceptions. It would certainly be nice to sit him one year under Flacco. I just don’t think Elway is going to pull the trigger on it. Too much pressure to play him early.  Then again if Flacco struggles it would be nice to move on without having to look for the next guy.

Love the Risner pick. Not so sure he will be available at 41. I expect a run on Oline similar to last years draft with multiple guys being picked late first and early second, picks 15-40. Might need to trade up to secure one of the many good players in this draft. 

McLaurin is another great pick. Would compliment what the Broncos already have in the room. I’ve read he is a great blocker and we now know how fast he is. Looks like he is a smart guy too. Fits the Elway/Russell mold. 

Wren scares me, but his game flashes ability. The Broncos did their homework on him. It will be interesting to see if they trust him to be a pro and show up to work with consistent effort. That seems to be the issue to me. Kid has to grow up. 

I could nitpick the rest of your draft, but the truth is it’s a total crapshoot after the first 40-50 picks. After that it’s anyone’s guess as to where these guys would slot. I will say that I expect Sample to possibly go late day 2 to early day 3. He looked good at the Senior Bowl and despite his relatively average speed he can get open.