Bears Workout 'Bama LB Christian Miller

soulman

Alabama LB Christian Miller to workout for Bears

usatsi_11725512.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Brendan Sugrue | 24 minutes ago 

Another top prospect is meeting with the Chicago Bears, this time on the defensive side of the ball. According to Justin Melo and our friends at Draftwire.com, Alabama linebacker Christian Miller is set to have a private workout with the Bears in Tuscaloosa, AL on Thursday. He had a prior visit with the Dallas Cowboys and is also scheduled to meet with the Carolina Panthers.

Miller, projected to go in the third or fourth round, according to NFL Draft Tracker, has been somewhat overshadowed during his career at Alabama and questions have been raised regarding his production and health. He is a long, athletic rusher who needs to continue to bulk up in order to withstand NFL linemen (Leonard Floyd, anyone?) and develop into more of a power rusher.

Speaking of Floyd, the Bears aren’t necessarily thin at outside linebacker with Floyd, Khalil Mack, and the return of Aaron Lynch, but considering Kylie Fitts and Isaiah Irving rarely saw the field, Ryan Pace and Chuck Pagano may not be satisfied with the depth and will look to upgrade at the position.

In his first three years at Alabama, Miller played sparingly, combining for 14 games, 22 tackles, and three sacks. He flourished in his final season with the Crimson Tide, playing in every game except the National Championship against Clemson due to a hamstring injury. Miller finished the 2018 season with 34 tackles (11 for a loss) and eight sacks.

Combine Results: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/christian-miller?id=32194d49-4c37-3763-bb71-113d10369c73

How would you feel if the Bears selected Miller with their third or fourth round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft?

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He and Polite are the OLBs that I would pull the trigger on in the 3rd round over other positions.

Me too re: Polite.  I don't know Miller.  No way Polite mays it to 3rd though unless he has character or legal issues and if that is case Bears won't draft him.  

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Me too re: Polite.  I don't know Miller.  No way Polite mays it to 3rd though unless he has character or legal issues and if that is case Bears won't draft him.  

Miller is a situational speed rusher who has some freaky bend and ability to get low to the ground. He only really produced and played in one season at Bama.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I like Miller alot and would 100% pick him in the 3rd...I said in my last mock we need a Mark Anderson type who can be a situational guy who just gets to the QB.

Pass rushers are always at premium.

QB, CB, Rush OLB, Ball Hawking Safeties are Pace premium positions.  

54 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I like Miller alot and would 100% pick him in the 3rd...I said in my last mock we need a Mark Anderson type who can be a situational guy who just gets to the QB.

If it came down to Miller or the RBs after Sanders and Henderson I would take Miller and reload for RB in the 4th round.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If it came down to Miller or the RBs after Sanders and Henderson I would take Miller and reload for RB in the 4th round.

I'm not sure there is any back who realistically could be there I would take over a quality pass rusher...I just feel RB is such a devalued position that you can get similar quality later in this draft...especially in a RBBC.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think the less well informed would ***** but with as many RBs available who could fit our needs as there are I have no problem drafting an Edge guy if he has the potential to be all that good.  I don't see us bringing Lynch back one more time and neither Irving or Fitts are sure things.

This is what jumps out at me.

Christian Miller

Christian Miller

Alabama
EDGE
LB31

Prospect Info

College
Alabama
Hometown
Class
Columbia, S.C.
Senior

Height
Weight
Arms
6' 3"
247 lbs
35 1/8”
Hands
9 3/4”
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4

Overview

Long, lean rush backer with above-average athletic traits that could serve him well as a pass rusher. Teams could be a little gun-shy with Miller considering the talent he played alongside and his solo season of production. What will be hard to ignore are his long arms, ability to attack the edge with speed and footwork to manufacture dangerous inside counters. He's talented enough to earn his keep chasing quarterbacks, but he'll have to gain strength and prove he can handle run duties in order to play every down.

The only real negatives tend to focus on his need to add strength and develop speed into more power.  These are areas I'm sure Kahlil Mack can provide some help with.  Irving added size and strength and Fitts is working on converting speed to power so I don't see any reason why Miller couldn't do it as well.

31 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Any chance we can stop opening up a new thread for every single thing and start consolidating them? i feel like this news would go just fine in the 2019 draft prospects thread

Where it gets buried on page 25 and may not even get noticed or discussed?

Is there anything wrong with keeping fresh material on Page 1 we can discuss or debate?

I'm kinda new here and just doing things to contribute as I have on many other forums.  If that's a problem then let's discuss it. 

9 hours ago, soulman said:

Where it gets buried on page 25 and may not even get noticed or discussed?

Is there anything wrong with keeping fresh material on Page 1 we can discuss or debate?

I'm kinda new here and just doing things to contribute as I have on many other forums.  If that's a problem then let's discuss it. 

I like way you are doing it for reasons you stated.  Im not a fan of 300 page topics like is common in Packers forum. 

I am not in charge though. I'll defer to majority. 

• Like 1