Would you select OT/OG Jonah Williams(Alabama) @15 if he was there?

I haven't seen or heard this as even a remote possibility from the media, fans or mocks.

I certainly understand as we have greater needs everywhere else on the roster.

But should we ignore the pattern of the last 2 drafts? Johnathon Allen & Deron Payne in the trenches on Defense.

We have a huge hole @LG where presumably Jonah could not only fill, but transition better as a Guard.

I realize we signed Flowers, but doesn't he kinda suck.

Can you imagine a Line with LT Trent Williams, LG Jonah Williams, OC Roullier, RG Brandon Scherff & RT Morgan Moses?

Do you think Jonah could be there @15?

Would this be a wise & safe pick?

And would this selection piss everyone off?

As much as I see our need for a franchise QB or a top flight WR, I can't help but think this would be a move we could possibly make.

Most likely he goes top 10. But if he's there @15, do you even consider him?

And target QB later in draft?

Edited by aceinthehouse

19 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Do you think Jonah could be there @15?

I think its definitely a possibility, I think he'll go somewhere from 10-20 range.  

20 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Would this be a wise & safe pick?

"Safe" is probably a better word.  I think he'll be a good guard.  Using another first round pick on a Guard doesn't seem like the best use of our resources IMO.  

Only if we had a trade in place to move Trent, Moses, or Scherff for other draft picks and salary cap relief. 

To me, we’re still set at OT for at least another couple seasons (especially with Christian eventually waiting in the wings hopefully). Which would make Jonah a guard for the time being, and not even a RG at that. One early 1st round pick used on a guard is probably too many, and two would just be absolute overkill.

We have needs at premium positions, we should be using this 15th pick to address one those — not using it on a luxury item, unless the player’s value is so much higher than the guys left at other positions that we just can’t justify passing on him. That might be the case for Hockenson in some scenarios, based on who else is left at OLB/ILB/WR/CB/QB, but I just don’t see Jonah Williams as the same sort of elite value there. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would. He's athletically average  and if I drafted him I'd prefer he could play tackle once Trent Williams retires.  If we are going to draft an OL I'd prefer the center out of North Carolina St. Garrett Bradbury. He's another guy that no one is really talking about but is an option.

4 minutes ago, TKellion said:

If we were going to become a run heavy offense I would consider it.But Gruden that will not happen so no

They did resign Peterson and will have Guice back so I dont know if anyone can say that. Peterson did carry the ball 251 times last season. 

Who else is on the board? This draft is BPA.

There are three positions in which the Redskins do not need 1st round talent: Interior DL, Kicker, and Punter. So if Williams is the best option on the board, then take him.

OTOH, if Josh Allen, Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, DeAndre Baker, or Devin white are available, I'm not convinced that Williams is a better pick. This team really should be able to find guards and right tackles in the later rounds. I'd much rather see them take an edge rusher or receiver in the first, and pick up Garrett Bradbury to play center in the second round.

I work with a Lions fan, who's actually attending the draft. Nashville is it?

They pick #8 & he tells me that his team wants out of that pick. That their pick is for sale & probably could be had for cheaper than the normal price to move up.

He listens to podcasts & whatnot.

We were talking about the Skins & Lions being possible trading partners because of Denver sitting @#10 & their need for a Franchise QB.

Then I asked him about Jonah Williams.

He said he's probably the most versatile OL in the draft. He started out at RT as a Freshman before being moved to LT, but his arms aren't lengthy like you want from OT's. 

He told me he got trashed for a bad championship game vs Clelin Ferrill.

Even though he allowed no sacks, no hurries.

Allowed 1 running play for negative loss & was trashed for it.

Completely shut down Josh Allen.

Both players are top prospects in the 1st Rd.

I asked him, would he be upset if the Lions drafted him at #8?

He said, the Lions could do a lot worse than picking Jonah at #8.

That Jonah would start immediately for them & could swing over to tackle if ever necessary.

So after that conversation, I'm convinced. Do I think we'll draft him? NO

Would I be upset if we did? Hell no!

Yes, it would be pouring a lot of resources in the O-line, that we need elsewhere.

But football, imo?

Is still won in the trenches.

This guy would make our O-line elite & our Running game with AP & Guice very tough to stop.

It would also protect Keenum or whomever is QB for us.

I still want Drew Lock with our first.

But if we take Jonah with our pick.

I might start having HOG flashbacks from our earlier year's with a grin.

Our line would rival Dallas, if not be better with this selection.

Edited by aceinthehouse

I just think the fixation on Alabama players is real in the Front Office.

The evidence is there.

R. Foster, L. Collins, Ha Ha, Payne, Allen, etc.

If all 3 QB's are off the board?

And we can't find trading partners to move or down?

And Jonah Williams is staring us in the face @15?

I think there's a better than 50% chance we take him on Alabama alone.

Add in we are desperate at LG & maybe they realize that, with the addition of Eric Flowers who nobody should rest with relief of signing. He may be depth at best, if not cut by roster cutdown day.

The draft could easily fall like this.

1st) OG Jonah Williams

2nd) WR A. J. Brown

3rd) QB Will Grier

3rd) WR Andy Isabella

5th) FS Prospect

5th) OLB Prospect

6th) TE Prospect

7th) CB Prospect

7th) RB Prospect

This all hypothetical, of course.

22 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

If Williams could perform on a Scherff type level I wouldn't mind the pick but I would rather take Greedy Williams, Deandre Baker, or AJ Brown if thier available. 

I’d take the boy from Washington probably Byron Murphy. I do like Baker but Murphy has big game!!!!