Packers Sign Ahmad Brooks - 1 yr $3.5 million

incognito_man

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Probably so, but this offseason has been far different from the past several offseason.  The Packers have been aggressive for once.  I need one more move ... we need a legit backup at LT.  Spriggs will get Rodgers injured if pressed into action.  In years past I would have said they would just roll with what they have .. this year it looks like they might act to solidify that position.

Agreed. The only remaining depth position that "scares" me at this point is the backup LT position. If we don't add a guy around cut time, my guess is we could always move Bulaga to LT and put Spriggs/Murphy in at RT if needed. That would make me more comfortable than Spriggs at LT based on what I've seen this preseason. 

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

Anyone posting this list six months ago as our potential free agent haul would have been bullied by the popular kids AND the guys from the computer programming club.

That's actually not true.  I'm 100% certain Brooks WAS talked about during that time between the draft and free agency where few deals get done, and immediately after the draft.  A lot of people including myself liked the idea of somebody like Brooks.  I'm 93% sure I even suggested him because I specifically looked up opinion pieces of veterans who could/would likely get cut.  These types of players who get cut at this time are, in my opinion, the best types of free agents.  They're not overpriced, they've gone through entire training camps, so they're still in shape, veterans who know what they're doing and we know what they can bring, and they come at a time when injuries and the state of your roster are clear heading into the season. 

I see Brooks as being just as effective for us this year as any of the guys we brought in except for Bennett and House.  He will essentially replace what we would have had with Peppers if we'd brought him back, and I'm especially looking forward to what he's going to bring to this team come playoff time.  He has 6.5 sacks in 8 career playoff games.  He's a player that took that fourth year "veteran status" jump in production.  Since the start of his fourth year, he has averaged 6.5 sacks a year, and I think we can expect the same or more with him in a relief pass rusher role. 

Pass rusher was the single position group I was nervous about heading into this season.  Now, with Matthews, Perry, Brooks, Fackrell, Biegel and Elliot or Gilbert, I'm confident in this season. 

At worst, the team added an EDGE who should be a plus vs the run for them. What'll be interesting is do we maybe see Brooks and Perry on the EDGE on certain plays to boost the run defense and then bring Clay in on obvious passing downs or even shift Clay inside? Didn't the Packers talk about moving Clay around some more this season again?

38 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Anyone posting this list six months ago as our potential free agent haul would have been bullied by the popular kids AND the guys from the computer programming club.

I feel like this argument is a bit disingenuous.  Of that list, how many of them negatively affect our compensatory pick calculation?  One.  Only Martellus Bennett.  And with the exception of Lance Kendricks, those players all signed 1 year deals which means they're quick fixes.  Nothing more.

Archived