***Spoiler FREE*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Acgott

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

We're  literally arguing about a second in a 2 hour movie.  Literally.  You don't think Luke was capable of that second, I do.  Again, I pity you.

I believe he would have been capable in his youth. But according to some, people never change.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, D82 said:

I'm curious to see how they bring Lando back into this...also feel like Leia dies.

Remember, the time from Han dying to the end of TLJ is maybe a week apart.  Whoever is left in the Resistance has had time to gather resources, and I imagine Leia and Chewie searched out Lando to tell him his friend died and he wants to help.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, Calvert28 said:

I believe he would have been capable in his youth. But according to some, people never change.

It was a horribly written part for sure.  That being said.........there was always a darkness in Luke in the EU.  He falls to the Dark Side when the Emperor Reborn comes into play.  He falls for the Unifying Force theory which led his nephew to the Dark Side.  He murdered Lumiya when he thought that she was the one who killed Mara, and worked with multiple Siths (including Darth Krayt) to defeat Abeloth.  

If they had done something to that effect, then I would be behind it.  As it stands, it was a poor choice to write it as such, and a horrible way to cause the destruction of the Jedi Temple.  

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It was a horribly written part for sure.  That being said.........there was always a darkness in Luke in the EU.  He falls to the Dark Side when the Emperor Reborn comes into play.  He falls for the Unifying Force theory which led his nephew to the Dark Side.  He murdered Lumiya when he thought that she was the one who killed Mara, and worked with multiple Siths (including Darth Krayt) to defeat Abeloth.  

If they had done something to that effect, then I would be behind it.  As it stands, it was a poor choice to write it as such, and a horrible way to cause the destruction of the Jedi Temple.  

Sure. If they made Ben more extreme then I might have been more ok with it. Like Ben going to slaughter a village or planning on blowing up the temple with everyone inside then Luke decides he needs to end. But oh he's thinking bad thoughts, better end him. How does he react to anyone else have a murdering thought? Whelp better kill them? Ben certainly isn't the first character he has come across with turmoil inside them. And I doubt Luke just suddenly jumped to conclusions and decided they needed to go.

But even still, Vader was responsible for much of the suffering in the galaxy and he was still hell bent on redeeming him. The entire situation should have been written completely different that would drive Luke to making such a extreme split second decision.

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this falls just short of $1.5 billion at the box office. That'd arguably make three straight box office disappointments for them. No chance it touches Endgame's gross.

Funny, I always thought that Luke's "foresight" was more of a premonition/self fulfilling prophecy. Right after Luke sees the future with the clouds, Yoda says something along the lines of "strange thing, the future is", and with the end result, it makes me wonder/leaves it open for whether or not Luke does more harm than good/fulfills the future in that instant when he acts on impulse. It's not necessarily the gift many of you make it out to be.

JMHO

I'm far from a Star Wars expert.

Not the biggest fan of Palpatine coming back but this trilogy is already ruined regardless. 

There is one reddit theory I like where Palpatine learned his masters magic (Darth Plagueis) of how to live forever and that he also created Rey just like he created Anakin. It would make sense for Palpatine to be the main villain in all three trilogies, basically coming full circle. The theory is muchhhh more complex than I’m describing here, I’ll see if I can find it.