***Spoiler FREE*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Acgott

• 3 weeks later...

Note this has nothing to do with the new Star Wars movies but where else to ask the question so here we go.

Was watching TCM and they had Star Wars A New Hope on, I was HOPING for it to be the unedited original version and sadly was quite pissed when it was not.

giphy.gif

So is it impossible to see the original versions outside of a VHS tape?  Why money hungry Disney does not just release a 'Classic masterpiece whatever' re-release of the original movies?  What because legally they cannot, because that DVD set would make them a decent amount of money I feel to the purest out there that feel the originals were ruined by the dumb add ones which happened twice, once only a little then later even more.  

31 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Note this has nothing to do with the new Star Wars movies but where else to ask the question so here we go.

Was watching TCM and they had Star Wars A New Hope on, I was HOPING for it to be the unedited original version and sadly was quite pissed when it was not.

giphy.gif

So is it impossible to see the original versions outside of a VHS tape?  Why money hungry Disney does not just release a 'Classic masterpiece whatever' re-release of the original movies?  What because legally they cannot, because that DVD set would make them a decent amount of money I feel to the purest out there that feel the originals were ruined by the dumb add ones which happened twice, once only a little then later even more.  

TPB is your only option.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

TPB is your only option.

I have no clue what that is.  Is there a legal reason Disney could not release them?  They re-release all those cartoons or did back in the day, now they just make a 'human' version of them and make even more billions off it.

PS would it be illegal of me to by the VHS tapes and convert them to DVD through a company that does that type of transfer, I assume yes.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

giphy.gif

Biggest holdup before this year was Fox owned A New Hope, so Disney didn't own the originals.

Maybe they will now that they own it. They're going to have a break in movies soon.

15 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Biggest holdup before this year was Fox owned A New Hope, so Disney didn't own the originals.

Maybe they will now that they own it. They're going to have a break in movies soon.

According to this it still does not matter and one still might not get the complete original unedited trilogy.  Even with Disney buying up everything.  Guess I better start looking into the old VHS tapes to buy.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019/03/disney-acquired-fox-star-wars-meaning.html

Odd because it would easily make money, and basically that have to do little to nothing outside of make the DVDs and the cases to put them in.

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

According to this it still does not matter and one still might not get the complete original unedited trilogy.  Even with Disney buying up everything.  Guess I better start looking into the old VHS tapes to buy.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019/03/disney-acquired-fox-star-wars-meaning.html

Odd because it would easily make money, and basically that have to do little to nothing outside of make the DVDs and the cases to put them in.

You can definitely find original versions of the movies on download sites that can not be linked here, but that would obviously be illegal so no one here would do that or anything.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I have no clue what that is.  Is there a legal reason Disney could not release them?  They re-release all those cartoons or did back in the day, now they just make a 'human' version of them and make even more billions off it.

PS would it be illegal of me to by the VHS tapes and convert them to DVD through a company that does that type of transfer, I assume yes.  

I don't think it's illegal...they charge like $20 a movie though online. 

I think if you buy the original VHS tapes and one of these bad boys it would work, but its $80.

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-Capture-Digitize-iPad/dp/B0029U2YSA?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

I don't really think the updates to the original trilogy ruined anything.  They were so light that all I really remember were a few establishing shots that had CGI added. 

If you really want the original versions, go to any thrift store and you will find them.  I have the original trilogy on VHS as part of a collage of VHS tapes that I consider my favorite movies and I got each of them for about 50 cents. 

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't really think the updates to the original trilogy ruined anything.  They were so light that all I really remember were a few establishing shots that had CGI added. 

If you really want the original versions, go to any thrift store and you will find them.  I have the original trilogy on VHS as part of a collage of VHS tapes that I consider my favorite movies and I got each of them for about 50 cents. 

Really?  The Jabba addition in A New Hope is awful, absolutely awful and totally not needed what so ever.  He can freaking slither around, since when?  Oh that is so key to tying the story together?  

Image result for jabba the hutt in star wars a new hope

First it was this.

Which became this later after another edit.  

So yeah I need to get the originals.  There is something to be said for how they did it back in the day with less technology is far more impressive than wanting to fix and put new things in with current technology.  Edited sound and color is one thing, editing content and changing it is another.  

Sure Georgie boy had a ton of foresight to shoot that scene and have Han step over his tail but still in the movie watching it to me I find stupid personally.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Really?  The Jabba addition in A New Hope is awful, absolutely awful and totally not needed what so ever.  He can freaking slither around, since when?  Oh that is so key to tying the story together?  

First it was this.

Which became this later after another edit.  

So yeah I need to get the originals.  There is something to be said for how they did it back in the day with less technology is far more impressive than wanting to fix and put new things in with current technology.  Edited sound and color is one thing, editing content and changing it is another.  

Sure Georgie boy had a ton of foresight to shoot that scene and have Han step over his tail but still in the movie watching it to me I find stupid personally.

The worst part of that scene was fusing the dialogue from other scenes using the same lines.

12 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

mulholland.jpg

Having this fella in there at one point is pretty comical though. 

I bet his performance was better than the digital Jabba pathetically.  Still they have to realize that just talking about Jabba and not actually seeing him is pretty cool and getting that scene in there does really nothing for the movie.  There is a reason Boba Fett is one of the coolest movie characters ever and he barely says a word, he is cool because he does not talk much or say much just looks badass in the corner.  Not going into his history as a character and an origin story like in Attack of the Clones, just leave it as is and let imagination take over.  It is just desperate and an attempt to make more money by making more content and that is exactly what Disney is doing now so I guess they and George are very alike in that way.  

Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were probably better just because they had a different director.  Maybe his edits are his attempt to get his name back in the thing and do what he wanted to do in those films originally.  But really it was just add digital context that does little to nothing for the story because you can, then you are able to sell it all over again and it worked.  

And good edit would have been to take this blue dude out because he looks like a stuffed animal compared to the well crafted puppets around him.  Even with that leaving him in is still pure to the original.

Max-Rebo_d4a6e06b.jpeg?region=1,0,2955,1

But no lets edit and put these space chicks around Boba Fett to make him look like a stone cold PLAYA.  Did that really add much to the film?  No just have him stand in the corner and nod his head and look cool.

boba-fett-star-wars_55011492-1008x425.jp

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...