Anyone else finding it hard to care about the offseason after how the season ended?

Spartica4Real

Such a whimper. The ref call and then out of it we get one of the worst Super Bowls of all time. Normally I'm excited to see what moves we make but I just haven't really followed football since. Maybe it'll change by the draft or the start of the season - but for now - meh. I've gone from following 3 sports all the time (football, basketball, baseball) to only one (baseball) because of the sour taste in my mouth from the NFCCG (and for basketball because I haven't watched a single game yet this season after DeMarcus Cousins left the Pels in the offseason to join the Warriors of all teams, I'm just so over the NBA. And then to top it all off AD requested a trade. Bleh). 

Yeah. I took a huge step back from football.

After initially doubling down on draft prospects I though I could use to distract myself from the NFL, just a couple weeks later I couldn’t care less about football, Saints or otherwise.

It definitely made me reassess how I spend my time and how much time/emotion I put into something like that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

Yeah. I took a huge step back from football.

After initially doubling down on draft prospects I though I could use to distract myself from the NFL, just a couple weeks later I couldn’t care less about football, Saints or otherwise.

It definitely made me reassess how I spend my time and how much time/emotion I put into something like that

Yeah I feel that. I mean, I still wear my Saints hat with pride all the time, but actively putting in the time to follow along? Just... meh. Like I said, could be temporary, but.... meh.

Funnily enough I had that same moment of reassessment with sports a couple years ago, and my team was on the winning side! I don't know if you follow baseball, but I'm a "lifelong" Astros fan, meaning I grew up watching them and loved them but kinda fell out of love with the sport of baseball for a few years in the late 2000s/early 2010s. I started watching again several years ago, and then in 2017 they won the World Series for the first time. That World Series was one of the most stressful things I have ever lived through. Games 2 and 5 of the series were both all time classics and absolutely killed me, and we won both of them! On the day of game 7 I felt like I was actually going to be sick. It was insane. Even the Saints' SB win made me feel nowhere near that nervous during the game, probably because it's one and done while in the series there's so much build up, especially when it goes a full 7 games.

After the Stros won the world series, it should've been one of the happiest moments of my life as a sports fan. And it was... but I actually felt more relief than joy. It was then that I realized I was putting way too much emotion into sports and to just enjoy the ride - I can't control the outcome. Because of that, last year's NFCCG loss (and the Astros loss in the ALCS) didn't hurt as much as they could've, but the way we lost the NFCCG still made it hurt a bunch and now I just can't muster up the strength to care lol.

Tl;dr: Sports can be bad, mmkay?

It was really two hard endings in a row.  I haven't really gotten back into it to be honest, but I'm a HUGE Leafs fan being from the Great White North, but 82 games makes watching it during the season a bit trivial compared to the NFL season where every game counts. So, after the NFL it goes to half to a third left and gets more exciting.

With that being said, I'll go crazy in the NHL playoffs, sit by a freshwater lake in the summer and go crazy in September.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:03 PM, Dome said:

I went through this after we lost in 2011, and I said I wouldn't let myself get that disappointed again.  

I'm glad I adopted that mindset because the ways we lose have only gotten worse since then.

But also, it makes me appreciate the run we had in 2009 even more.  So many things could have gone wrong but they didn't.  The stars aligned for us that year.  We've lost in terrible ways both before and after.

For me it was the 2013 Post season that had me put in perspective how to be a healthy fan. Luckily the 17 and 18 Season were more fun to watch then losing sleep or stressing out during the actual games. The 18 Season was still great, making to the Superbowl would have been great but watching the Rams fail made things as close to right as can be.   

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 5:37 AM, Saint_Anger13 said:

For me it was the 2013 Post season that had me put in perspective how to be a healthy fan. Luckily the 17 and 18 Season were more fun to watch then losing sleep or stressing out during the actual games. The 18 Season was still great, making to the Superbowl would have been great but watching the Rams fail made things as close to right as can be.   

So much this. I didn't watch the Super Bowl (Who Dat Nation Unite!) but the Rams losing in the fashion they did was just sweet sweet justice. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

So much this. I didn't watch the Super Bowl (Who Dat Nation Unite!) but the Rams losing in the fashion they did was just sweet sweet justice. 

Nothing like a team that doesn’t deserve to be there looking like a team that doesn’t deserve to be there to set things back on course 

• Like 1

If it helps any, I think the NFL is probably gonna be very hesitant to do anything remotely harmful to you guys this year.  It might actually get you a Super Bowl when otherwise you would not have. 

You could have lost the Super Bowl and had that defeat being your own fault, and that could have killed any 2019 campaign.  Now, you've got vengeance and motivation from this and probably an understood rule that refs do not blow Saints playoff calls. 

For what it's worth, based on my formula for Super Bowl winners, you guys have THE best shot at winning 2019 of any team in the NFL. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If it helps any, I think the NFL is probably gonna be very hesitant to do anything remotely harmful to you guys this year.  It might actually get you a Super Bowl when otherwise you would not have. 

I hope so.  Maybe we'll get all the calls.

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

For what it's worth, based on my formula for Super Bowl winners, you guys have THE best shot at winning 2019 of any team in the NFL. 

I’m holding you personally accountable for anything less than a Lombardi Trophy