What is the Skins biggest need before draft

Bo Duke

Going into the draft, there are lots of discussions about who we should take if available. Arguments for our favorite college prospects with dreams of them wearing the burgundy and gold.

The franchise is at a crossroads in direction, and no clear path which way they want to go. Patching holes vs complete teardown and rebuild. Acknowledging we have some good veteran pieces and some young potential, we also have to see we have more than enough holes to fill to truly have a competitive roster.

So I have put together my order of importance of position we need to address going into the future. I'm not looking at BPA here for this, I'm looking from the standpoint of who in the heck do we have currently that can play there?

1. Safety.  Deshazor Everett, Monte Nicholson, and Troy Apke. No need to really get into why on this one, its pretty bad

2. Left Guard. Though this position is not highly regarded in money or draft capital I can not stomach seeing the bums we trot out there. It has to stop. If Flowers is the best we have right now that's just criminal

3. Edge Rusher. We have Kerrigan who I believe is a warrior and Anderson who is high motor guy with athletic limitations. That's about all we got and again, not nearly good enough. We have 0 depth here and getting guys from a folded league shouldn't make you feel good about where this group is at.

4. Quarterback. This one I had a hard time deciding where to rank it. We need one and we need it bad. I think though if Keenum or McCoy have some talent around them they can be more than serviceable. Injury risk and both only under contract for this season make me want to push it higher.

5. Wide receiver. Doctson and Richardson aren't now or ever going to scare a defense. I'm a Trey Quinn fan but even I admit if we're hoping for Mr Irrelevant to be the guy we are going about it all wrong. To many unproven things with this group. Cam Sims, Robert Davis etc. Just don't feel good about it 

There are other upgrades that need to happen like ILB, TE, and corner. Trent isn't going to play forever so LT is going to be a huge need sooner rather than later.

What do you feel the biggest need on this team is ( Excluding coach, owner, and gm)

Fans constantly saying the team needs a QB is why A stupid trade could happen. Keenum is two years removed from almost going to the SuperBowl with a team that had a great defense and a offense lead by him. I don't get why fans dont think the same is possible here. I see nothing wrong with continuing to add to the D and giving Keenum a more reliable catcher whether that is at WR or TE oppose to going in the draft saying they need a QB right now for this season. 

Again If the option of trading down is presented I think they should consider it espeically if say the Radiers are willing to give up the 24th and 27th picks or the 24th and 35th pick in the 2nd round or Patriots offer thier 1st and two 2nd rounders. Who does the team have to build around a young QB right now on offense besides Guice, Trent Williams, Morgan Moses, and Brandon Scherff?  

Of course if they can get Rosen for a 3rd you make that trade.

Top 3 needs, imo.

1)WR's (cause Keenum could actually not suck if we had at least 2 guys that could threaten a defense. Plus, our running game would become even more scary with an offense that could attack from the air)

2)Franchise QB (When are we going to find our Brady, Wilson, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers,etc? A QB to be in a Redskins uniform for 7+ years and actually starting? Colt McCoy doesn't count)

3)LG (there I said it..flowers doesn't inspire much hope for me & we need a good Left Guard to groom for this team. I'm tired seeing Louveu get pushed back & others get destroyed. It probably contributed to Alex & Colt having broken legs. Fix it now, damn it!)

A game changing talent that elevates the level of the talent around him is our biggest draft need!!! QB or ILB or pass rusher would really really go a long way to making noticeable improvement. But that’s the biggest need!! A superstar talent

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Fans constantly saying the team needs a QB is why A stupid trade could happen. Keenum is two years removed from almost going to the SuperBowl with a team that had a great defense and a offense lead by him. I don't get why fans dont think the same is possible here. I see nothing wrong with continuing to add to the D and giving Keenum a more reliable catcher whether that is at WR or TE oppose to going in the draft saying they need a QB right now for this season. 

Again If the option of trading down is presented I think they should consider it espeically if say the Radiers are willing to give up the 24th and 27th picks or the 24th and 35th pick in the 2nd round or Patriots offer thier 1st and two 2nd rounders. Who does the team have to build around a young QB right now on offense besides Guice, Trent Williams, Morgan Moses, and Brandon Scherff?  

Of course if they can get Rosen for a 3rd you make that trade.

I think you're combining two debates into one.  I don't think you can argue the Redskins don't need a QB, they absolutely need a QB.  What you're arguing is that they shouldn't address that need in this crappy QB draft class, which I agree with.  

My order would prob be
Speed Edge rusher
LG
CB depending on Dunbar health(never looked same after injury,If he 100% this is lower but still need to prepare for Norman leaving)
Would be my top 3

Not going to act like longterm QB isn't a need but looking at team its a make it or break it year for Jay and hopefully Bruce,and last thing I want to see is us drafting a qb at 15,and watching us fire everyone that made choice to draft him and bring in a whole new system next year(Just like it seems the Cards are doing this year).

1. QB - Keenum at his best probably isn't a top half of the league QB. He might be serviceable.

2. WR1 - um, obviously no one here on the roster that can come close

3. LG - Still trying to make sense of the Ereck Flowers situation.

4. EDGE - We at least haven't seen what Ryan Anderson can do full time - and uh he was a 2nd round draft pick.

5. MLB - I was actually a big support of Mason Foster but last year he regressed and I'm not sure why so many are eager to pencil in Sean Dion-Hamilton - he hasn't shown anything.

6. CB1 - It is probably Norman's last year here and despite my signature Fabian Moreau hasn't shown he can turn into a CB1

7. Tight End - Jordan Reed can't be relied on anymore. Why hasn't Vernon Davis retired. And Jeremy Sprinkle hasn't shown he can be anything more than a TE3.

*Free Safety - I'm not sure why this is so high on people's lists. We have two young prospects here and Montae Nicholson actually has shown flashes if he can stay healthy.

In terms of positions.

1. QB - We need a true long term option

2. WR - Our best on is Docston say it all

3. Edge Rusher - Kerrigan getting up in years and well we could do some who can get after the QB regularly.

But the biggest the roster could use is not getting hit by a ton of injures to our starters. I mean the last two seasons we had such bad luck with that.

The only positions the Redskins should be drafting @15 imo, are QB because of the drop off after the big 3 & the need, Edge rusher because of the talent in this draft in the first Rd & the need for speed & with Kerrigan's age & OL because of the drop off after the first few, our need for LG & the injuries sustained at that position over the last couple of years.

Any other position we take, should only be taken in a trade down.

WR's are deep in this draft, TE's aren't a huge need, but we could use a talented replacement for Reed & Davis 

Both Fant & Irv Smith could be had on a trade down.

CB's can also be had in a trade down. Whether that's Speedy, Byron Murphy or DeAndre Baker.

FS can be had on a trade down whether it's Taylor Rapp, Evans or Thompson.

In my personal opinion....

If Lock, Haskins or Murray can't be had @15?

We should trade down and obtain some draft capital.

Preferably, a 2nd or more if possible.

Even if it means trading all the way down to 32. But I do want to stay in the 1st Rd, so we can get that bonus yr on that players contract.

Then, we can go CB, WR, TE, Edge, Safety or whatever.

Cause two 2nd Rd picks would allow us a lot of leverage on what to do.

We could go QB Will Grier with one of them.

Hollywood Brown or A.J. Brown could be sitting there.

Safety Taylor Rapp

There's always a 1st Rd talent sitting there in the 2nd Rd.

You know? Like a RB  D. Guice

8 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

The only positions the Redskins should be drafting @15 imo, are QB because of the drop off after the big 3 & the need, Edge rusher because of the talent in this draft in the first Rd & the need for speed & with Kerrigan's age & OL because of the drop off after the first few, our need for LG & the injuries sustained at that position over the last couple of years.

Any other position we take, should only be taken in a trade down.

WR's are deep in this draft, TE's aren't a huge need, but we could use a talented replacement for Reed & Davis 

Both Fant & Irv Smith could be had on a trade down.

CB's can also be had in a trade down. Whether that's Speedy, Byron Murphy or DeAndre Baker.

FS can be had on a trade down whether it's Taylor Rapp, Evans or Thompson.

In my personal opinion....

If Lock, Haskins or Murray can't be had @15?

We should trade down and obtain some draft capital.

Preferably, a 2nd or more if possible.

Even if it means trading all the way down to 32. But I do want to stay in the 1st Rd, so we can get that bonus yr on that players contract.

Then, we can go CB, WR, TE, Edge, Safety or whatever.

Cause two 2nd Rd picks would allow us a lot of leverage on what to do.

We could go QB Will Grier with one of them.

Hollywood Brown or A.J. Brown could be sitting there.

Safety Taylor Rapp

There's always a 1st Rd talent sitting there in the 2nd Rd.

You know? Like a RB  D. Guice

Trade down can't always possible unless you're willing to take a bad deal and pass on some of the top talents at a position. The Redskins need impact players. I'm not in favor of trading down too far and passing on one. Just take the BPA in a position we need.

Archived