Prospects at Positions of Need

WindyCity

Who are the prospects that you like at obvious positions of need both at 87 and after.

TE

87: Sternberger, Knox, Oliver, Warring

Later: Moreau, Hurd

There are some physical freaks that should be around the 87 range at TE. Knox, Oliver, Warring are all big time athletes. I think Moreau is ultra solid and that Jalen Hurd moving from supersized WR to U TE could be interesting.

RB

87: T. Williams, D Harris

Later: D Ozigbo, M Weber, J Williams, D Williams [if they think they can work on the hands]

They have done a ton of work on all of theses guys so who know where they take one. I really like Harris and Williams, but with the depth I will not be shocked if they leave it till day 3. Ozigbo has the physical tools and Weber is just solid as hell.

CB

87: J Dean, I Johnson, S Bunting

Later: C Balletine, J Moreland, D Baity

Most of these guys are size-speed guys who need development, but with a year to develop them barring health the Bears should try and find someone who can come in and start for them in 2020 with the physical tools for the outside.

• Like 1

I was going to do another mock before the draft started but will wait until day two of the draft to post it when we have a better idea how the board might fall but here are the guys I would like to see be a Bear at position of need through the draft...

RB

David Montgomery

Miles Sander

David Montgomery

Damien Harris

Darrell Henderson

Justice Hill

Ryquell Armstead

Darwin Thompson

Alexander Mattison

Devine Ozigbo

Elijah Holyfield

James Williams

TE

Kahale Warring

Josh Oliver

Drew Sample

Dax Raymond

Keenen Brown

OLB

Jachai Polite

Ben Banogu

Christian Miller

Chase Winovich

Oshane Ximines

CB

Justin Lane

Lonnie Johnson

Amani Oruwariye

Jordan Brown

Jamal Peters

Hamp Cheevers

Jordan Wyatt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I was going to do another mock before the draft started but will wait until day two of the draft to post it when we have a better idea how the board might fall but here are the guys I would like to see be a Bear at position of need through the draft...

RB

David Montgomery

Miles Sander

David Montgomery

Damien Harris

Darrell Henderson

Justice Hill

Ryquell Armstead

Darwin Thompson

Alexander Mattison

Devine Ozigbo

Elijah Holyfield

I like him so much I'd list him twice too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Me too, man. If we do go RB at 87 then Montgomery would be a home run to me. 

Love Montgomery but I just don't know how he falls to 87 unfortunately. Same with Miles Sanders.

I can't wait for this stupid draft to be over lol

35 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

It's going to be a long wait before we pick lol

I've got it all planned out... black out before round 2 starts, pass out until about one pick before ours. Wake up, keep drinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Love Montgomery but I just don't know how he falls to 87 unfortunately. Same with Miles Sanders.

I can't wait for this stupid draft to be over lol

Agreed. On all accounts. With that, I’m far more optimistic about the idea of Davis as a guy getting 200+ carries than most others and I think our chances of getting a long term answer at RB (provided that’s not Davis) is better next year than this year anyway. Drafting only a guy who ends up being 1b now and post-2019 is not a bad thing. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

I've got it all planned out... black out before round 2 starts, pass out until about one pick before ours. Wake up, keep drinking.

Even running mock drafts on TDN or Fanspeak is something I have little patience for with us not picking til 87. It’s gonna be like 12 hours real time in the draft before we are on the clock. 😑😔😖

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. On all accounts. With that, I’m far more optimistic about the idea of Davis as a guy getting 200+ carries than most others and I think our chances of getting a long term answer at RB (provided that’s not Davis) is better next year than this year anyway. Drafting only a guy who ends up being 1b now and post-2019 is not a bad thing. 

Are we even after long term answer at RB?

It very obvious this offense is being built around Mitch and an innovative and dynamic offense that may change and adapt as needed.

Looking at the contracts we've given to offensive skill players we've signed in FA most have a back door after two years and mid round picks are easily cut after two years as well if they aren't producing or don't fit.  NE goes through RBs and WRs like some Hollywood stars go through relationships.

Franchise players get drafted early or at least most do, we haven't taken a RB earlier than round four since Pace arrived, and we may not this year either. I believe we're looking for role players at RB who meet our current needs and much like with Howard who was drafted for Fox's ground and pound offense now we're drafting for Nagy's more innovative schemes which may change as time passes.

The constants have to be a dominating defense, a deep stable OL, and a franchise QB.  We can work around the rest as far as skills players go.  We don't need a franchise RB.  Todd Gurley didn't get a SB ring and neither have Zeke Elliott or Saquon Barkely.

We don't need the best.  All we need are productive guys who fit the scheme.  In this offense to a great degree most every RB, WR, and TE is a role player asked to do what he does best within the scheme and subbed for when other skills are needed.  For the very first time I'm seeing a system being developed aimed at keeping us competitive each year and challenging for playoffs and championships.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

We don't need the best.  All we need is productive guys who fit the scheme.

This is what I meant when I said long term answer - 4+ years of this. It’s one of the biggest reasons I like Weber - he may eventually be a 200+ carry guy and he may top out as a 125 carry guy but in either instance his skill set fits what we are looking for in that while he’s not necessarily great at any one thing he’s competent or better at everything. His greatest asset is that he’s a jack of all trades type of player. Same goes for Davis. They’re the anti-Howard in that their presence on the field doesn’t at all tip to the defense what we are looking to do. It allows maximum versatility for line checks to exploit where the defense is weak on any given play. That has so much value IMO. When you look at the most prolific RBs in the modern NFL the one thing they basically all have in common now is versatility at RB. Gurley, Bell, Barkley, Kamara, Hunt, Elliott, Johnson, Conner, Gordon, McCaffrey, Freeman, Michel, Lindsay, McCoy, Gore, Ingram, Mixon. They’re all two-way threats. We’ve been talking about the RB prospects in here for 4 months and we basically aren’t even considering anyone who isn’t a dual threat as a viable draft option like it’s a Nagy thing but it’s really not - it’s league wide. 

• Like 1