Prospects at Positions of Need

WindyCity

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Matt Gay was a guy I had on top of my list to until I heard Patrick Mannelly offer his opinion about Austin Siebert.  Mannelly made the point that Siebert also punted in college and punting would negatively impact his place kicking.  Siebert's post college kicking has now greatly improved.

That's a neat insight. Did he elaborate on this in any way, like the technical differences caused issues or anything like that? Or maybe that he just was working on two techniques rather than focusing on kicking?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That's a neat insight. Did he elaborate on this in any way, like the technical differences caused issues or anything like that? Or maybe that he just was working on two techniques rather than focusing on kicking?

Yep.  He made the point that it's two different strokes entirely like trying to do something left handed when you're a righty or as similar as golfing is to bowling, different timing, different muscles, which as a former HS PK who can't punt worth a damn I can appreciate.

I could also add that anyone who ever played slow pitch softball and also played fast pitch or hard ball would also understand.  As a batter your ideal swing for each is very different from the others and one can mess up another if you play both simultaneously.

Another highlight was that need for an NFL PK to get height very quickly and still have the pop to make 50 yard plus FGs.  Not an easy task.  It's like hitting a 150 yard wedge shot over a tree that requires both height and carry.  Maybe that's why Robbie is also a very good golfer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rex63 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26561297/god-was-pulling-how-david-montgomery-formed-bond-young-fan

If he is really there in the third round and we don’t draft him, then I am going to be really upset. I mean, I will get over it but damn it this this hit me in the feelers.

He is slow and not explosive. We just traded that guy away.

Good dude, but we don’t need a repeat of Howard who we know didn’t fit.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Literally everyone’s comp for him is Kareem Hunt. Watch even just the first 1:30 of this video and tell me how many times you saw quickness and cuts like that out of Jordan Howard. Also, 71 catches in 3 years at ISU and every scouting report about him says he’s a good receiver too. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Yup.   This is one reason why I've gone back and scanned all of those top 20 backs and eliminated those who were lacking in the same skills Howard was because it makes no sense to draft Howard v2.0.

Guys like Montgomery and others may be successful backs elsewhere.  Jordan Howard may work out much better in Philly.  But who cares if none of them work here?  Our needs are not the same.

Who in the hell had Mike Davis on their short list of FA RBs we'd be after?  Not me, that's for sure.  But now I get it.  He's young, ascending as an NFL back and he fits with what Nagy wants from his RBs.

Things have changed from our former ways of needing a bell cow back and getting off the bus running but not everyone has caught on to that yet.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Literally everyone’s comp for him is Kareem Hunt. Watch even just the first 1:30 of this video and tell me how many times you saw quickness and cuts like that out of Jordan Howard. Also, 71 catches in 3 years at ISU and every scouting report about him says he’s a good receiver too. 

Lemme start off by saying I like Montgomery and if we wanted a bell cow lead back he'd be a guy who fits better than Howard but how much better?

And If Davis is at least somewhat similar to Montgomery, and he appears to be, is this who Nagy wants as opposed to back of a different "flavor"?

And third is he's arguably the 2nd or 3rd best back in this draft why are we mooning over a guy who'll in all likelihood be gone long before we pick?

Edited by soulman

Here is a thought exercise:

Name me a player draftable from 87 down in this draft aside from a RB or kicker who, without an injury, is likely to be a starter for Bears in 2019.

A TE has to beat out Shaheen and Burton.

Sternberger, Knox, Wilson, Warring, Oliver are all possibilities.   I watched  and liked Warring, I haven't really studied others.  Not sure if Warring or any of them could beat out a healthy Shaheen and /or Burton in their rookie year.   I would say Warring is a better athlete than either Burton or Shaheen but Warring is fairly raw still.  I certainly wouldn't say it was impossible though even without an injury.   

A WR has to beat out Miller, Robinson and Gabriel.  

Possibilities are Kelvin Harmon, Hakeem Butler, Miles Boykin and Andy Isabella.  No idea as I haven't watched them yet.  You tell me.  That would be a tall task to beat out those above three in 2019 though as they are all good and receiver is typically a position that takes a year to learn in NFL.  

Not going to go through every position group.  You guys know who they are.  Aside from RB and, depending on how you feel about Shaheen, TE they are all fairly stout groups that a non first round or 2nd round pick will have trouble breaking into.

Another not talked about position is NT.  We need depth at NT. 

Basically Bears just have Goldman, who used to get hurt a lot.  They need to find a monster to play inside for depth and keep guys off Roquan.  

We thought Nichols was that guy, but he looked so good in practice they moved him to DE.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I am starting to come around on Montgomery is he is there.

I wish we saw more explosiveness to his game, but he does have better hands and route running than Howard.

A lot of people nationally were really high on Montgomery from start. 

19 hours ago, soulman said:

Yup.   This is one reason why I've gone back and scanned all of those top 20 backs and eliminated those who were lacking in the same skills Howard was because it makes no sense to draft Howard v2.0.

Guys like Montgomery and others may be successful backs elsewhere.  Jordan Howard may work out much better in Philly.  But who cares if none of them work here?  Our needs are not the same.

Who in the hell had Mike Davis on their short list of FA RBs we'd be after?  Not me, that's for sure.  But now I get it.  He's young, ascending as an NFL back and he fits with what Nagy wants from his RBs.

Things have changed from our former ways of needing a bell cow back and getting off the bus running but not everyone has caught on to that yet.

I see Montgomery as having all of the skills Howard has, plus actual agility and contact balance and legitimate ability as a receiver. The only thing he doesn’t have IMO is top end speed, but he’s fast enough.

The way I took Nagy’s comment about wanting different flavors were him wanting guys with different skill sets from Cohen (the only RB he had in 2018 that he wanted to keep). If they went the other way and added Player A who is good at this and Player B who is good at that then he’d have the same predictability problems he had with Howard. I think he wants Cohen, the versatility of Patterson from a formation standpoint, and then guys like Davis (or Montgomery) who can do everything at at least a threshold level. 

And credit where due - @Madmike90 was on Davis a few days before FA. I hadn’t looked much at him prior to FA being more focused on Ingram and especially Coleman but the more I’ve looked at him the more I’ve liked. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Another not talked about position is NT.  We need depth at NT. 

Basically Bears just have Goldman, who used to get hurt a lot.  They need to find a monster to play inside for depth and keep guys off Roquan.  

We thought Nichols was that guy, but he looked so good in practice they moved him to DE.

We have two others on the roster now.  Nick Williams and Abullah Anderson.

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I see Montgomery as having all of the skills Howard has, plus actual agility and contact balance and legitimate ability as a receiver. The only thing he doesn’t have IMO is top end speed, but he’s fast enough.

The way I took Nagy’s comment about wanting different flavors were him wanting guys with different skill sets from Cohen (the only RB he had in 2018 that he wanted to keep). If they went the other way and added Player A who is good at this and Player B who is good at that then he’d have the same predictability problems he had with Howard. I think he wants Cohen, the versatility of Patterson from a formation standpoint, and then guys like Davis (or Montgomery) who can do everything at at least a threshold level. 

And credit where due - @Madmike90 was on Davis a few days before FA. I hadn’t looked much at him prior to FA being more focused on Ingram and especially Coleman but the more I’ve looked at him the more I’ve liked. 

I think we all know why Pace and his guys scout players they're certain they won't draft but as a fan I'm not gonna get too worked about guys I don't feel we have a shot at.  If I was gonna do that I'd probably sit on Miles Sanders as the best fit for us but like Montgomery I don't expect him to fall to #87.