Chiefs trade for OL Cam Erving

kingseanjohn

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Especially if it's so deep you can't see it anymore

No such thing. While a 5th may seem like a lot to some, I like this trade. We needed a swing OT and he fits the bill.  Give him two positions to back up and leave him alone for a while. Hopefully, he won't play much, but that's a long way from invisible.

There is also no such thing as too much depth.

J

There is also no such thing as too much depth.

I  simply gave a perspective on "DEPTH".  Is the word overused? Possibly. It has no meaning for inferior players who have no place on an NFL field, IMO. Some of our Olinemen fit this description. I'm hopeful Erving becomes a useful backup on our Oline. We'll see if our Oline coaches can coax some quality play out of him.

13 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I'll also ask why we did this BEFORE cut-down day? Teams will be greatly trimming rosters and i'll suspect there's a gem or two that will hit the waiver wire.

Probably because we have such a low priority on the waiver-wire, like 27th IIRC

which is kinda smart, we bypassed that whole hope and a prayer and just traded for Ragland & Erving instead 

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Ervings got no balance, strength or awareness. Is that even coachable?

This is what I'm afraid of @Chiefer. We can say it was "Cleveland" or "coaching" etc but some of those "Highlights" I've seen are pretty hard to watch. He looks like a TE going against the dline. I just don't see where he fits on this roster.

If we cut him at the deadline, and the fact it's a conditional pick, do we keep our pick? Like, basically, a glorified preview of  the guy. I wonder about salary cap ramifications. @KC_Guy ??

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

This is what I'm afraid of @Chiefer. We can say it was "Cleveland" or "coaching" etc but some of those "Highlights" I've seen are pretty hard to watch. He looks like a TE going against the dline. I just don't see where he fits on this roster.

If we cut him at the deadline, and the fact it's a conditional pick, do we keep our pick? Like, basically, a glorified preview of  the guy. I wonder about salary cap ramifications. @KC_Guy ??

Well he's only ever been decent at RT. Im thinking we keep him there.

His footwork is just so awful though.

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Ervings got no balance, strength or awareness. Is that even coachable?

Balance to me is debatable. Although if he gets stronger with our program, then balance may be helped. Awareness will come with experience. I just hope it's all on the practice field this year.

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Balance to me is debatable. Although if he gets stronger with our program, then balance may be helped. Awareness will come with experience. I just hope it's all on the practice field this year.

I'll second this. A lot of the things said of him were also said of LDT in his early days. Interestingly, to us they are both 5th round picks.

There is no denying his footwork is awful, but technique is coachable. It's obvious the toolbox is loaded, so give him a position and let him learn it.

J

Archived