Chiefs trade for OL Cam Erving

kingseanjohn

Obviously the brass saw what we saw: The OL backups are terrible. Erving can play all five spots - but what amazes me is that he never really made it in the NFL. What went wrong for him? A first round pick traded away for afifth after two seasons? That's bust territory. However, I think that's the end of the line for Reid ( a guy we traded for in FFMD 2014 I think).

2 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Obviously the brass saw what we saw: The OL backups are terrible. Erving can play all five spots - but what amazes me is that he never really made it in the NFL. What went wrong for him? A first round pick traded away for afifth after two seasons? That's bust territory. However, I think that's the end of the line for Reid ( a guy we traded for in FFMD 2014 I think).

Long story short he is just not good, he has failed at T, G, and C for us check out the highlights in the news forum of him... have fun guys 

giphy.gif

I don't mind coughing up the 5th round and I commend the brass for trying to upgrade depth (we need it badly) but from everything I've read (and Brown fans are confirming) this dude doesn't bring anything to the table. He's failed at multiple positions. I really liked him coming out and wanted us to grab him then but that's why I'm not working for a front office ?

I guess we shall see...

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Veach going anti-Dorsey and trading picks for players.

I only like this move if we get rid of Jah Reid's contract. I hope he doesn't take Fulton, Ehinger, or Witzmann's spot.

We ran with 9 OL on roster last year, so I doubt he takes any of their spots. My guess would be that he takes Jordan Devey's roster spot from last year. Roll with Fisher, Ehinger, Morse, LDT, Schwartz, Witzmann, Fulton, Reid, and Erving. We'd have multiple backups at each position with that flexibility, at least.

I said this in the news forum, but I'm not a fan of this move. I liked the Ragland trade, just because of our situation at that position relative to the value we gave up, and the potential Ragland still has. I don't like this one just because I don't see why it was needed. He'll be, at best, our 8th best offensive linemen, and while it's good to have depth there, it isn't worth draft capital. Particularly when it isn't immediate quality depth, we're really just taking on a project.

55 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

My one potential hope is that him playing all five spots is what hindered his development.

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Hi chiefs fans...Browns fan here...my opinions tend to dissent from my fellow Browns fans in that their opinions are often have extremity and certainty that mine don't have; for example, most on the Board and those that I know say they are certain that Cam is trash (extreme).

I'm of a different opinion that's more moderate.

Cam's final year at FSU, he played LT/RT and C.

His first year at the Browns he started off playing LG, C, and RG.

There were concerns that all of the positional switching so early in his career would hinder his development.

He suffered from strength and anchor issues at Center going up against 34 nose tackles in the afc north.

He's a very long athlete who's footwork got tangled with our OLs. His head was spinning at times with having to give others their OL assignments and his vision in blitz pick up was poor at times.

He played well in spots at Center despite what some of my fellow browns fans will say, but not enough where he looked like he had upside.

They moved him to LT then to RT and he seemed to settle in. Traits/tool-wise, he has elite balance and athleticism in his kick step and a nice long arm punch to keep the edge rusher at bay. His main problem is that he oversets, is too panicked at the initial chop step, and/or anchoring deep against strong rushers on their countermove.

He looked good in limited action in preseason against the saints, but also had 3 glaringly bad plays where he 1.)overset and got beat inside, 2.)underset and got beat outside, 3.) wiffed completely during a pull from LT position. Most of our fans remembered rhe 3 plays which confirmed their he's worthless" opinion.

He is not a waist bender and has elite athleticism and foot quickness of a LT. He is not the power player often used on the RT.

A lot of his issues were mental and/or having to deal with the bull rush.

After his struggles, I saw him as a nice developmental backup at LT due to athleticism, length, and intelligence coming out of college.

He hasn't put it together but I wouldn't bet against his talent. It would be best if he could focus in on one position and be able to play his finesse game on the outside as a backup LT with starter upside based on his raw skills if he continues to work at it and takes a jump.

Strength will be an issue for him. Most see prospects as trash or amazing. I see all of them as having goods and bads. Cam has his. Time will tell which wins out but I'm not certain either way given his unique journey and that this year was his first focusing on his true position: that of a tackle.

it isn't worth draft capital. Particularly when it isn't immediate quality depth, we're really just taking on a project.

This a continuing problem. We had a stack of picks ready in May and then picked Mahomes and Hunt ( which seems sound at this point) and didn't even pick a CB. (We needed one to start opposite Peters, and this was a great CB draft). We also could've picked an Olineman (for quality depth) with one of those picks.Who knows who we could have picked for Erving.

Archived