Real Schedule Released

Here'sJim

First stretch of the season will be tough. But it should be a bit easier after the bye week. Going to New England is never an easy task for any team, but at least that's the week we'll be coming off our bye.

We should be the favorites to win week one, but Tennessee is a tough team. They were just the most bipolar team in the league last season.

Just now, candyman93 said:

You keep overlooking the most important component for the Jets and Titans.

QB play.

Mariota sucks and is always hurt. Sammy is not better than Baker.

What I said was that " I like our chances, but if you think it's going to be EASY wins I think you'll be surprised as both those teams fight."

Surprisingly, despite my lack of intelligence I can grasp that Baker is likely going to be better than Mariota and Sam next year.

However, an injured, sucky Mariota-led Titans beat the Patriots (Tom Brady is better than Mariota), they beat the Eagles (Wentz is better than Mariota); they beat the Cowboys (Dak is better than Mariota). It happens.

My point is that it's a team game, and I think the Titans and Jets after the draft will have some of the most complete rosters in the NFL w/ parts that fit well together and w/ defenses that can get after the QB via talent and scheme.

At the same time, I think it's hard to argue that we won't outmatch every opponents' roster talent-wise, but talent isn't the end all be all.

When the opposing team has a QB capable of putting together a competent, really good game (Mariota and Darnold next year) along with being supported by good coaching and elite defensive players ... then it's a battle.

• Like 1

Really difficult first half of the season.  If they can start off 5-3, that would be huge.  4-4 wouldn't even be that bad.  The second half sets up beautifully.  Lots of divisional games down the stretch, which will really decide things. 

September can't come soon enough. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Really difficult first half of the season.  If they can start off 5-3, that would be huge.  4-4 wouldn't even be that bad.  The second half sets up beautifully.  Lots of divisional games down the stretch, which will really decide things. 

September can't come soon enough. 

I like how the NFL pulled the 'we're still not sold on the Browns yet' card and frontloaded all of the primetime games while the anticipation is still high just in case they fall off into a 7-9 team.

However, they have put the Giants on primetime 5x per year for the last two decades so they might not have a problem with it.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

I'm just tired of the annual max-5 primetime games for Dallas plus the Thanksgiving game, basically making it 6.  Every season.  I get it, it's about the viewership, but there's a reason if you don't like the Cowboys, you probably hate them. 

Just now, NateDawg said:

I'm just tired of the annual max-5 primetime games for Dallas plus the Thanksgiving game, basically making it 6.  Every season.  I get it, it's about the viewership, but there's a reason if you don't like the Cowboys, you probably hate them. 

I agree, I make jokes all the time with friends about how nearly every single week it feels like the Cowboys or Giants are on primetime. Regardless of how good they are.

However, trust me primetime games can be too much sometimes. Having 2 MAYBE 3 per year sounds good, but it disrupts your entire Sunday football watching flow when your team has 5 PT games and you either have to wait until Monday/Thursday to watch your team play. Sunday night games are the best if your team gets one because its a great cap to a full day of football.

Evidently KC Joyner isn't on board from this ESPN article:

The biggest winner of the schedule is ____________.

Joyner: The Patriots host the Steelers in Week 1 and then arguably don't square off against another top-tier team until their Week 9 matchup with Baltimore. Add that to closing the season against Cincinnati, Buffalo and Miami, and the road is set for another first-round bye for New England.

Post-free agency win totals are out. Which over or under do you feel best about picking right now?

Joyner: Browns under 9 wins. Cleveland's schedule strongly suggests that nine wins should be considered the high side of the Browns' win total projection.

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

What I said was that " I like our chances, but if you think it's going to be EASY wins I think you'll be surprised as both those teams fight."

Surprisingly, despite my lack of intelligence I can grasp that Baker is likely going to be better than Mariota and Sam next year.

However, an injured, sucky Mariota-led Titans beat the Patriots (Tom Brady is better than Mariota), they beat the Eagles (Wentz is better than Mariota); they beat the Cowboys (Dak is better than Mariota). It happens.

My point is that it's a team game, and I think the Titans and Jets after the draft will have some of the most complete rosters in the NFL w/ parts that fit well together and w/ defenses that can get after the QB via talent and scheme.

At the same time, I think it's hard to argue that we won't outmatch every opponents' roster talent-wise, but talent isn't the end all be all.

When the opposing team has a QB capable of putting together a competent, really good game (Mariota and Darnold next year) along with being supported by good coaching and elite defensive players ... then it's a battle.

And I don’t like your argument. It’s the “any given Sunday” argument. Well hell I can say the same thing about the New England and LA games. I don’t think we have a prayer against those 2, but “any given Sunday.”

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

Discounting Darnold and Mariota is plain dumb.

Sounds like post hoc rationalization of the decision to pick/fact that we have Mayfield.

Why?

What have you seen from Mariota that makes you believe he will be a problem? Last year: 11 Tds and 8 Ints. The year before, 13 Tds and 15 Ints. A quarterback that puts those types of numbers up, doesn’t stay a QB very long.

Also Baker is miles ahead of Sam.

Edited by candyman93

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

And I don’t like your argument. It’s the “any given Sunday” argument. Well hell I can say the same thing about the New England and LA games. I don’t think we have a prayer against those 2, but “any given Sunday.”

All I said was that the Titans aren't an "Easy" win.

If we picked games based on which QB was better or which team has more talent, than the Browns are the clear choice, but the win-loss prediction exercise for many comes to analyzing various dimensions of team football.

It's one thing not to like my argument ... that's all good .... but classifying it as "any given sunday" isn't an accurate analysis at all imo.

It's not any given sunday when a team earns 9-7 record w/ quality wins over teams with superior QBs (Tom Brady; Carson Wentz; Dak Prescott; one point loss to Phillip Rivers b/c Vrabel went for the win with 30 seconds left 2-pt conversion vs going for the tie) while playing Blaine Gabbert and a Mariota that can't feel his fingers and has a dead arm.

It means and my point was not "any given sunday" per se but that the Titans path toward competing to win/making it "Not Easy" to beat them does not solely rely on the QB being exceptional game in and game out. Instead, their path to winning is about solid QB play, team execution, collective competitive will, game-plan, and other dimensions of football play that contribute to winning.

There's something real beyond any given sunday or a punchers chance regarding why the Titans win.

Throw out the statistical production for Mariota last year; he like Tannehill are above average QBs most years. Mariota has been in the league 4 years; last year he had a freak injury related to his throwing arm and teammates and coaches credit him with doing the unimaginable battling through that injury and leading the team.

That leaves the regression passing year of 13 TDs; 15 INTs that you cited... you did leave out the 5 rushing TDs that year for 18 total TDs, but the years before that he balled out with 28 Total TDs to 9 INTs his second year and 21 TDs to 10 INT his rookie year. He's solid.

Point still stands even without getting into Mariota that the Titans "might not be an Easy win."

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

We will likely get the 5th primetime game.  After week 5 they can start flexing games.

The following 3 cannot, as those teams already have their 5 primetime games:

Week 6 Seahawks Oct 13

Week 8 Patriots Oct 27

Week 13 Steelers Dec 1

Week 5 and 11 we already have primetime

My guess is that they make the Ravens game the flex, especially if there are playoff implications.

The Titans often play (and win) ugly games. They run the ball well and control the clock. One of those pesky and frustrating teams to play. I have us getting a W but hardly take week 1 for granted. Especially with our week 1 track record. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

We will likely get the 5th primetime game.  After week 5 they can start flexing games.

The following 3 cannot, as those teams already have their 5 primetime games:

Week 6 Seahawks Oct 13

Week 8 Patriots Oct 27

Week 13 Steelers Dec 1

Week 5 and 11 we already have primetime

My guess is that they make the Ravens game the flex, especially if there are playoff implications.

You can be flexed into a 6th primetime game. There is a limit on how many teams can end up with 6, I think it may be 3. If we are legit, I agree that the Ravens game is flexed.