Raiders sign DE Benson Mayowa (1 year, $3M)

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We need DEs that are capable of doing things other than rush the passer.  Yes we want an elite pass rusher but we also need a base end that can stop the run.  We have a huge issue with getting pressure on the QB but we also have an issue of not having any starting quality DEs.  We could trade for Clowney or Clark, sign Ansah, and draft Ferrel Sweat Gary...etc.  There are ways of accomplishing this goal but the team has decided to focus on other areas during FA. 

We could trade for Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, or Andrew Luck and have an elite QB too. Clowney and Clark are both franchised and we'd have to give them a long-term deal to make the trade. If we didn't want to pay Mack $20M+ per year why would we trade for a worse player and pay him? Clowney is going to fix our pass rushing problems? He hasn't even had a 10+ sack year in his 5 seasons in the NFL. 

Again, we decided to focus on other areas because there weren't any quality players we could add. Unless you wanted us to give $16-20M to a guy that's going to get 5-7 sacks next season like Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith. 

People close to the organization have said all offseason that the plan was to buy the offense in free agency and build the defense through the draft. The only way we could've added an above average player in the front seven during free agency would've been to overpay. Kwon Alexander is making more than Luke K now, should we have signed him too? You don't build a contender by giving meh players huge contracts, good teams are built through the draft. 

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We could trade for Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, or Andrew Luck and have an elite QB too. Clowney and Clark are both franchised and we'd have to give them a long-term deal to make the trade. If we didn't want to pay Mack $20M+ per year why would we trade for a worse player and pay him? Clowney is going to fix our pass rushing problems? He hasn't even had a 10+ sack year in his 5 seasons in the NFL. 

Again, we decided to focus on other areas because there weren't any quality players we could add. Unless you wanted us to give $16-20M to a guy that's going to get 5-7 sacks next season like Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith. 

People close to the organization have said all offseason that the plan was to buy the offense in free agency and build the defense through the draft. The only way we could've added an above average player in the front seven during free agency would've been to overpay. Kwon Alexander is making more than Luke K now, should we have signed him too? You don't build a contender by giving meh players huge contracts, good teams are built through the draft. 

I was showing that trading for Clowney and Clark are possibilities.  Clowney has been playing in a 3-4 and  believe would be better in a 4-3.  Also what Clowney does is not dependent on sacks alone.  He will be dominant in the right system and it would depend on what was required to trade to get him.  If it is just pick 27 I would definitely consider it. 

A line of Ferrel/Sweat - Q - Hurst - Clowney looks pretty good.

We would have received Clowney, 2019 6th, 2020 1st, 2020 3rd for Mack, 2020 2nd, and 2020 5th.

Right now Mack is better than Clowney but I still think we win that trade.  Clowney is better than almost everyone in this draft with the exception of Q and Bosa.  I do not know how much Clowney wants, it is probably $20 million a year, and that would be the only thing that would make say no to the trade.  

Overall my point was that we have options.  We could also go all in for edge players in this draft and take the chance with rookies.  I just want something done and there are always options.  Yes I would have loved to have resigned Mack but we have to look to the future now no matter how much it hurts.

• 6 months later...

7 sacks for 3 million has been a great deal. I'm not big on resigning him because I think he'll want top dollar but he's been a great piece to the rotation. Looking back Clowney was traded for chump change. Might have able to give Conenly strait up before he sucked into the season. LOL

Clark was expensive but Dee Ford was a good price but no way KC trades him to us. Quinn (6th) and Ogbah (S Murray) makes you wonder if we were asking around. Like said earlier FA offense focused and draft Defense focused.

2 hours ago, G said:

7 sacks for 3 million has been a great deal. I'm not big on resigning him because I think he'll want top dollar but he's been a great piece to the rotation. Looking back Clowney was traded for chump change. Might have able to give Conenly strait up before he sucked into the season. LOL

Clark was expensive but Dee Ford was a good price but no way KC trades him to us. Quinn (6th) and Ogbah (S Murray) makes you wonder if we were asking around. Like said earlier FA offense focused and draft Defense focused.

No way he can leverage top dollar in 1 season. I'd extend him if it's not insanely pricey. Somewhere in the 8-12 million range on a 3 year deal perhaps. Would be by far his biggest payday too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

No way he can leverage top dollar in 1 season. I'd extend him if it's not insanely pricey. Somewhere in the 8-12 million range on a 3 year deal perhaps. Would be by far his biggest payday too.

I suppose all it takes is one crazy team to pay him (paging WAS), but yea, I’d be okay with paying him decently on a 2 year deal. I can see that happening if some of the top EDGE guys return to their teams.

• Like 1