Vikings extend WR Adam Thielen (4 years, $64 million)

Robbroy45

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Waynes will probably walk after the season, that's $9M saved...Rudolph will either walk or extend at a lower cap number, so they'll probably save a couple of million there.

Waynes and Rudolph are not under contract for next year so current projections already don't count anything against the cap for them. It is not possible to save anything against a currently expected cost of zero.

14 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Waynes and Rudolph are not under contract for next year so current projections already don't count anything against the cap for them. It is not possible to save anything against a currently expected cost of zero.

I think the conversations we will be having next year in regards to cap savings will involve Riley Reiff, Josh Kline, Xavier Rhodes, and Everson Griffen. 

Certainly these positions will be considered in the draft this year (minus CB because we've got so many).

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the conversations we will be having next year in regards to cap savings will involve Riley Reiff, Josh Kline, Xavier Rhodes, and Everson Griffen. 

Certainly these positions will be considered in the draft this year (minus CB because we've got so many).

Agreed. Depending on how this year goes for him, Linval Joseph could find himself int hat conversation too. 

There are a few other players (Diggs, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Thielen) that the Vikings may consider approaching about a simple restructures to move cap charges too. That would be players that the team is confident will be around for at least a couple years that have multiple remaining years on their contract.  The Vikings haven't done this much recently, but in the last year of the Cousins contract they might decide to leverage that mechanism to smooth out the cap in their three year plan.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

So, it’s not Thielen’s contract which will give the Vikings cap relief. 

Yep. Looks like his cap number is about the same this year and his cap number is going up about $6M next season. 

That puts the Vikings at about $8M in cap space in 2020 with under 40 players signed for next year. It will be interesting to see what their decisions are going to be in order to fill out next year's roster.  They'll have two year's worth of players coming in on rookie contracts before next season so that will put them close to a 53 man roster with still being under the cap.

But the Vikings wouldn't have space to bring back some of the pieces the team currently has under their control for just one more years without making some other moves.

I am sure they have a plan but that might have to be the start of some major team changes. Or they might decide to kick the can down the road with restructures. They haven't done that much to this point so have room if they decide they want go that route.

Whatever the case, I am happy they have Thielen signed. That contract looks like great value to the team.

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Horrible signing.

This kid has no size to him and I'm sure he's not remotely close to being able to help the offensive line. What the hell is Spielman thinking? He's literally just signing people right out of daycare.

I hope we can easily get out of the contract in 2020 so we can use the LEGO & Play-Doh on someone a little more deserving.

Thielen’s cap hit is $8.105 million for 2019, only $5,000 more than the $8.1 million figure he was scheduled to carry this year on his old deal. In addition to a $9 million signing bonus, he gets a $4.3 million roster bonus this year, and a league-minimum $805,000 base salary.

Thielen’s four-year deal also includes a $5 million roster bonus if he is on the Vikings roster by the third day of the 2020 league year. The deal has a total of $33 million in guaranteed money, $14.1 million of which is guaranteed at signing.

Thielen can earn per-game roster bonuses of up to $100,000 each of the next two years, and $500,000 in the final four years of the deal, as well as $100,000 annual workout bonuses. His incentive structure is similar to the one Stefon Diggs received last year, where Thielen can earn escalators totaling up to $9 million in the final three years of the deal, based on each time he hits 100 receptions or 1,375 yards in a season.

http://www.startribune.com/how-adam-thielen-s-new-deal-does-little-damage-to-vikings-salary-cap-situation/508608322/

20 hours ago, vike daddy said:

what kind of love beads is Spielman wearing on his wrist there? damn hippies.

I think those are Buddhist prayer beads.  I wonder if Spielman practices Buddhism?

Adam Thielen's story has been told and re-told too many times to repeat, but it’s still amazing. The undrafted free agent just got a shot. And as he looks back, he understands how fragile that can be.

Thielen: “And now when I look back I kind of get nervous because I know that if I wouldn’t have done this right, or if I would’ve been late to this, or if I would’ve, you know, ran the wrong route I might have not ever gotten the chance. It’s just extremely special for me to be in this state that’s done so much for me, and to be here for a long time, and know I’m going to be here for a long time and my family, the place where we have a house, the place that we love.” 

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/04/16/were-very-blessed-vikings-adam-thielen-talks-new-64m-contract/?fbclid=IwAR11F-mSL6r3Az7WKm7Ypy5pXMvOaFhX1LYJs2htjaj0qGGKO1Bj1eOHsZg

Archived