HOF Lineman Forrest Gregg Dies at 85

Spartacus

I remember an article that was posted about the Packers days of darkness here. One tidbit that stuck out from the article was when Gregg was head coach for four years:

A snarling, menacing presence, Gregg almost became a caricature of himself during his four-year stint as the Packers' coach.

"We had this kid, Frankie Neal, who walked up to Forrest one day and said, 'Coach, why does your face always twitch like that?'" Ellerson said. "Everyone got real quiet. Forrest said, 'If you got head-slapped by Carl Eller as many times as I did, your face would twitch, too.'"

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/the-sorry-years-b99418952z1-287342561.html/

It's funny, when I saw clips of him standing on the sideline as Bengals coach, he just never looked that big to me. Not big enough to play OT. Obviously it was years later, and he had probably slimmed down by that point. His playing weight was listed as 250 pounds, for his 6'4" height. Very small compared to the men of today. Still, it was odd when I found out he was an OT. Probably because my first images of him were as coach of Cincinnati. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 5:31 PM, Spartacus said:

Don't know if anyone is old enough on this forum to even see him play but HOF lineman and one of the last living members of the Lombardi Packers passed away. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26505006/hall-fame-lineman-forrest-gregg-dies-85

Unfortunately (;)) I am old enough to remember him as a player even if I was a kid back then.  He did a nice job coaching the Bengals but his Packers squads were not so hot.

• Like 1